Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 hours ago, Snow free zone said:

Deep snow for Preston this morning   Quite a good covering for here at least. 

You'll need to change your username now...!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Just a light dusting from the snow around 2am here, nothing more fell it seems, looks nice though

• Like 1

Posted

Sunrise across the Bowland tundra this morning.  Had been a light fall of snow and soft hail in night.

2021 Jan 25 dawn 8.20 am.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Sky has gone very dark here and we have a heavy hail shower in progress.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
33 minutes ago, pip22 said:

This week you mean?

2nd  - 3rd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

It's been a satisfying Winter for me up to now; and pretty impressive for falling and settling snow even if amounts haven't been particularly deep. Would be nice to have a 15cm+ covering though which I'd class as "significant". It's just the one thing that is missing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I can’t see anything interesting on 06Z GFS apart from possibly Sunday morning.  

Not cold enough  air  the week after would be rain except Buxton and suchlike. Too far ahead yet anyway can and will change.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tomorrow now looking a non-event for most on latest runs. Not enough cold undercut and there is an inversion at 300 m now. Thursday has never look like holding any potential to me and certainly doesn’t on latest wrf. 

• Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I can’t see anything interesting on 06Z GFS apart from possibly Sunday morning.  

Not cold enough  air  the week after would be rain except Buxton and suchlike. Too far ahead yet anyway can and will change.

Yes - was at +213 a while off yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well, the forecast of a much needed dry and sunny day has gone out the window. Instead, we find ourselves under the super unlucky placement of a string of showers (couldn’t come when it was cold enough could you). We really needed a day of sunshine to assist with the group. 

instead; it’s raining. 

Posted

Been dry and sunny here except for a little shower earlier.

• Like 1

Posted

I went out for a early morning hike to the top of Whaley Moor to try and spot Wales (the tops of the Snowdonia peaks are usually visible on clear days off to the far West) and could see a few of the Cheshire Gap streamer showers blocking the view, at 411m / 1348ft I was just in the clouds although the odd break did allow some sunshine to briefly make an appearance.

11.thumb.JPG.d94367a77226b995eefd9974baf85788.JPG12.thumb.JPG.aa2680a916d67423088d88a72b80747d.JPG24.thumb.jpg.c7c83b93bbd3a14f71e63c5aa9588683.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I went out for a early morning hike to the top of Whaley Moor to try and spot Wales (the tops of the Snowdonia peaks are usually visible on clear days off to the far West) and could see a few of the Cheshire Gap streamer showers blocking the view, at 411m / 1348ft I was just in the clouds although the odd break did allow some sunshine to briefly make an appearance.

11.thumb.JPG.d94367a77226b995eefd9974baf85788.JPG12.thumb.JPG.aa2680a916d67423088d88a72b80747d.JPG24.thumb.jpg.c7c83b93bbd3a14f71e63c5aa9588683.jpg

You’re lucky to have that on the door step. Any police knocking around? Rumour has it getting to the peaks will be greeted with a stop from the police. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, Spah1 said:

That will be the ECM chart i posted up the page. Its now joined Arpege with a near identical prediction.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Watch out for these undercover pair!

image.thumb.png.8c1bc9ee6311948aa7ffda33937b5474.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Backtrack said:

You’re lucky to have that on the door step. Any police knocking around? Rumour has it getting to the peaks will be greeted with a stop from the police. 

I didn't see any cops today although i'm fortunate in being able to step out the door and have the hill which is literally half a minute away from the house, it's likely they'll be patrolling the main roads than the lesser trodden footpaths away from the Goyt, Bleaklow, & Kinder Scout routes as my older bro lives in Hayfield and has mentioned that it's been busier over this winter than the norm. I always carry my phone with GPX O.S. maps and pace-tracker anyway so if the cops wanted to have a nosey they can see i'm only ever 1hr away from home (walking pace) at the most. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

As expected met office warning, snow above 200m, yet another possible good snowfall here missed.. we might see a temporary cover of wet slush, but I'd rather just have rain.. in any event these are not the frontal snow events I like, much better when you know the cold will win out, otherwise its just a case of waiting for the inevitable transition to rain.

Many a memory of heavy frontal snowfalls giving way to rain and that wet slush underfoot, or a thaw without rain.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I didn't see any cops today although i'm fortunate in being able to step out the door and have the hill which is literally half a minute away from the house, it's likely they'll be patrolling the main roads than the lesser trodden footpaths away from the Goyt, Bleaklow, & Kinder Scout routes as my older bro lives in Hayfield and has mentioned that it's been busier over this winter than the norm. I always carry my phone with GPX O.S. maps and pace-tracker anyway so if the cops wanted to have a nosey they can see i'm only ever 1hr away from home (walking pace) at the most. 

Your in a similar position to me, step out of the door, a short walk and get lost in the wilderness.

You might have seen my posts with @WillinGlossop after the 2 women were fined for driving 5 miles.  I normally go to Etherow Country Park near Marple because its flat and my second youngest can manage it (Anaemia) but is it local to me or the same with Torside, that is debatable.

I think driving anywhere does pose the risk of being stopped, especially the beauty spots, not sure about cycling.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

As expected met office warning, snow above 200m, yet another possible good snowfall here missed.. we might see a temporary cover of wet slush, but I'd rather just have rain.. in any event these are not the frontal snow events I like, much better when you know the cold will win out, otherwise its just a case of waiting for the inevitable transition to rain.

Many a memory of heavy frontal snowfalls giving way to rain and that wet slush underfoot, or a thaw without rain.

iPhone app. Depends if you trust them. 
Top up at weekend onward. 

8BA45F75-56D2-4D79-A2E2-625AA7595BC0.thumb.jpeg.8c9e071a5e8a87b36659cbdd9602e4e5.jpeg

Posted
Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

iPhone app. Depends if you trust them. 
Top up at weekend onward. 

8BA45F75-56D2-4D79-A2E2-625AA7595BC0.thumb.jpeg.8c9e071a5e8a87b36659cbdd9602e4e5.jpeg

Looks like a freezer % full gauge before and after youve been shopping.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Yeah I read that earlier but I really don’t know where he’s getting that from; at least GFS isn’t showing it anyway.

he does live at 200 m though  so is a bit biased.

Posted

Are okay so is the ECM. Well hope more models follow that  then.

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
40 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

That will be the ECM chart i posted up the page. Its now joined Arpege with a near identical prediction.

All interesting stuff. UK met having none of it though predicting temps of 7 to 8 c here by Thursday. Such disagreement at such close range. 

• Like 1