Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Temps looking to drop from 30th -2nd Feb with a brief mild spell before switching back to cold air.. not placing any bets though , looks like could be another marginal event on 31st -1st Feb... Just hoping things change and we have a more favorable outcome which is more prolonged. 

image.thumb.png.6d17c670cbce3e5b1ba01844aa253ddc.png image.thumb.png.0b4eb77a6691213a696bcd6e0de35ef7.pngimage.thumb.png.ed0a29bb21a9c2dfbe071c43b306a504.pngimage.thumb.png.61ac023208fd8cf1cb7d0953218f6f94.png

Good while of I know.. but trying to keep spirits up. 

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

Any chances for here sth Mcr from any of those showers Chris?

Not sure they will make it that far inland unless  organised  but we will see you never know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Not sure they will make it that far inland unless  organised  but we will see you never know.

What time your reckon they should start appearing on the radar over the Irish Sea?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
Just now, raul_sbd said:

What time your reckon they should start appearing on the radar over the Irish Sea?

well I’m not the best at predicting showers; fronts are more my thing but I’d say probably around 1-3 am.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I think, but you most likely know more than me but showers off the Irish Sea see unlikely to make it too far inland whilst the remants  of this front are still around. As soon as it hurried up with its pivoting the better. 

Edited by Wardlegacy

Posted
1 minute ago, Wardlegacy said:

I think, but you most likely know more than me but showers of the Irish Sea see unlikely to make it too far inland whilst the remands of this front are still around. As soon as it hurried up with its pivoting the better. 

I agree

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Tuesday.

All about precip intensity. Although freezing level may be as high as 700–800 m, the air will be only just above freezing between 700–200 m. This means that currently the snow line looks to be around 200 falling 100 m but if precip is heavy enough it will drop to sea level easily.

it’s a bit like the 14th; intensity was what let us down on that occasion. A very finely balanced situation all about evaporative cooling and slight changes in thermodynamics where one place might have heavy snow and one place might have heavy rain depending on the intensity.

currently places like Bacup and Glossop would have all snow throughout.

What time will it snow here on Tuesday Chris?  hahah! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

What time will it snow here on Tuesday Chris?  hahah! 

17:30 haha

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I'm one of those weirdos too... I went the other week in Keswick (before lockdowns) the edge of the Lake was frozen, as is the grass...

image.thumb.png.db59ab3ff11d9445ced55bb897f9d7cd.png

You guys, like my friend, are crazy so cold but I must agree it’s refreshing 

• Like 1

Posted

B1C66AEB-670D-40F7-B827-1EB0D654DED6.thumb.png.07d4e231e6b57dc07c21195a0543b72d.png

Christ sake. Still bloody going. When is it our turn? 10cm is a dream. 

Posted

-0.8° here

-1.1 in Crosby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Arpege, its an advert for the Pink Stuff. 

21012821_2412.gif.11e77902c67834603c3d1f

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

I think the problem is that snowy frontal events are just much more of a rare beast these days.

I didn’t take that much of an interest in the way that the weather worked when I was a kid  and younger adult but certainly saw the effects of it and almost every winter we had at least a couple of days which started bright and frosty before quickly clouding over, sometimes with the wind getting up.

then came the snow, first light but soon getting heavier and often blowing about and this set the scene for at least 6 hours before it would fizzle out.

Occasionally it turned back to rain before fizzling out but more often it just stayed as snow followed by a frosty night and fully intact snow the day after.

If memory serves me right then the most severe winter I can remember, 1979 along with those of the early 80’s saw such events hitting us on a regular basis and I can’t remember a single one failing to dump a decent amount of snow as it passed through.

in those days we measured snowfall in inches and the numbers were still higher than what we now measure in cm or even millimetres.

Yes as I said in last post, frontal snow events with the cold air winning out are rare these days. The synoptic that does it, is a negatively aligned front coming in off the atlantic i.e. NW-SE aligned, bumping into cold air and being forced either to then retreat back south or simply fizzle in situ as the cold air digs in and holds out. Southerly tracking jet and high pressure to the north tends to deliver such synoptics. Winter 78/79 was a classic in this regard.

The other type of frontal snow event more risky is the occluded front from the west, which stalls and is squeezed out by the cold air both to its rear and ahead of it - think 5/6Feb 96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
18 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

ahhh man 40kg/m2 I cannot wait. Excited is not the word!!

• Like 1

Posted

Car had its MOT yesterday but was advised to take it on a good motorway blast today to recharge the battery so decided to go down the M6 snow hunting!

Nothing snow wise of note til about Stoke but it was blizzard whiteout conditions from there to Stafford when I turned back at around 2pm  was a good 8cm around them parts at that time

If only that front had been able to push up north by 100 miles or so! 

Enjoyable drive out that was 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Mild air winning out Tuesday-friday before turning colder again at weekend with snow again in the forecast probably drop another 10cm on the Midlands whilst we stay under a blanket of grey skies oh the irony..

C.S

Posted

-1.0°C here, -2.1°C in Crosby.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I was looking at Thursday but it’s going to be 10 degrees!