Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Front pivoting towards here but nothing happening according to some members. Snowing lightly again. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I think the problem is that snowy frontal events are just much more of a rare beast these days.

I didn’t take that much of an interest in the way that the weather worked when I was a kid  and younger adult but certainly saw the effects of it and almost every winter we had at least a couple of days which started bright and frosty before quickly clouding over, sometimes with the wind getting up.

then came the snow, first light but soon getting heavier and often blowing about and this set the scene for at least 6 hours before it would fizzle out.

Occasionally it turned back to rain before fizzling out but more often it just stayed as snow followed by a frosty night and fully intact snow the day after.

If memory serves me right then the most severe winter I can remember, 1979 along with those of the early 80’s saw such events hitting us on a regular basis and I can’t remember a single one failing to dump a decent amount of snow as it passed through.

in those days we measured snowfall in inches and the numbers were still higher than what we now measure in cm or even millimetres.

Interesting stuff. 

I’m 34 and lived in south Manchester all my life. I think the majority of snow events I’ve experienced living here have been from showers, but I could be wrong on that. Obviously pre about 2000 I wasn’t sure what was going on in terms of synoptics. What I do remember was my school years (especially secondary school) were pretty terrible for snow apart from December 2000 and 2001 when we had some over the Christmas holidays. Not a single day was my school ever closed because of snow. Anecdotally it feels like we’ve done better since then. 

Edited by Joe Bloggs

Posted

Glad some southern contingent had some snow today... may make model thread a little less agitated.... 

i do find it funny that some had 2-5cm snow down souf and called for an amber warning in se thread... my old hunting ground didn’t fare well in Kent though... 

wasn’t expecting anything here today but suprised it’s stayed below freezing with minimal coverage... ice day...

looks cold one tonight with freezing fog... hope it’s cold enough and foggy enough to get some rime 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
30 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

image.thumb.png.1ca7dcb87776447b58438024bea781c5.pngWhats not to like about that.

Is that transient? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

This can eff right off.. Can't take another near miss next weekend. 

Screenshot_20210124_171520_com.android.chrome.jpg

If it gives some peeps I know snow down south then so be it... too far away to worry about though... especially detail... hopefully we’ll all get some proper snow between now and April Proper here 6” to 12”+++ ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

If it gives some peeps I know snow down south then so be it... too far away to worry about though... especially detail... hopefully we’ll all get some proper snow between now and April Proper here 6” to 12”+++ ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

My step son is up here and back in Derby, where his student colleagues are, theyve sent pics with about 5" snow on the tops of the bins.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.2bc1c8e287c7803f246a6ce383da2ff3.png We can wish and .... maybe....

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

My step son is up here and back in Derby, where his student colleagues are, theyve sent pics with about 5" snow on the tops of the bins.

Just looked at midlands thread saw they had places with quite a bit today... and met just put amber warning out but snow fading away now.. oops... glad some peeps who’ve had no snow getting some though... my sister and mum in Somerset sent videos of snow today too.., 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

This can eff right off.. Can't take another near miss next weekend. 

Screenshot_20210124_171520_com.android.chrome.jpg

South Wales always seem to do well in these types of setups

Edited by Dkeane3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

South Wales always seem to do well in these types of setups

Tbh not bothered about that yet it is so far away.. lots of twists as Chris pointed at before

• Like 2

Posted

CA7F95F5-C5B3-41D8-B569-4476C46EAC5D.thumb.png.1b724793fd2788e26ce1fe3fc94c5b22.png

Ridiculous! 

What is the point? It’s for now! Who apart from us weather folk will pay any attention. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Spah1 said:

CA7F95F5-C5B3-41D8-B569-4476C46EAC5D.thumb.png.1b724793fd2788e26ce1fe3fc94c5b22.png

Ridiculous! 

What is the point? It’s for now! Who apart from us weather folk will pay any attention. 

Probably so some media sites can run some clickbait stories

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
12 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

image.thumb.png.2bc1c8e287c7803f246a6ce383da2ff3.png We can wish and .... maybe....

It’ll be rain, not that we need anymore of the damn stuff

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

Tbh not bothered about that yet it is so far away.. lots of twists as Chris pointed at before

Although the strength of the cold air is usually underestimated in the long term

Posted

A good friend of mine has been swimming off north Kent coast every morning first thing... blooming freezing ... probably warmer water than air temperature today... 

i did have a swim first thing every morning  when we went down in July... but sea was a lot warmer then even though it didn’t feel like it... 

9B29F8D8-813D-4CB5-93B3-0542036205E9.jpeg

D87DFC97-1072-40CD-9967-6CCE887EAE63.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

Had snow here in South Manchester yesterday morning, quickly melted though with it being wet snow but it accumulated quickly.

Maybe a sprinkling tomorrow morning as showers move South then a bright day to come.

Cold night ahead though.

Posted
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

A good friend of mine has been swimming off north Kent coast every morning first thing... blooming freezing ... probably warmer water than air temperature today... 

i did have a swim first thing every morning  when we went down in July... but sea was a lot warmer then even though it didn’t feel like it... 

9B29F8D8-813D-4CB5-93B3-0542036205E9.jpeg

D87DFC97-1072-40CD-9967-6CCE887EAE63.jpeg

I'm one of those weirdos too... I went the other week in Keswick (before lockdowns) the edge of the Lake was frozen, as is the grass...

image.thumb.png.db59ab3ff11d9445ced55bb897f9d7cd.png

• Like 2

Posted

Keep your eye on Wolverhampton and run the animation in the netweather radar. They got clobbered early on today and now it pivots and drops back down on them. Double snow event. 

Jealous  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tonight. Looks like there will be some showers early morning but wind backs WNW so there may well be some marginality near coast. Perhaps my location is far enough away from coast but will be touch and go. 
Temps west of M6 will drop to -2 – -3°C before midnight then sharply rise in early hours to just above freezing. East of M6 should remain below freezing although will rise a little.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I'm one of those weirdos too... I went the other week in Keswick (before lockdowns) the edge of the Lake was frozen, as is the grass...

image.thumb.png.db59ab3ff11d9445ced55bb897f9d7cd.png

Well done really invigorating... as my friend says... heart and soul ❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tuesday.

All about precip intensity. Although freezing level may be as high as 700–800 m, the air will be only just above freezing between 700–200 m. This means that currently the snow line looks to be around 200 falling 100 m but if precip is heavy enough it will drop to sea level easily.

it’s a bit like the 14th; intensity was what let us down on that occasion. A very finely balanced situation all about evaporative cooling and slight changes in thermodynamics where one place might have heavy snow and one place might have heavy rain depending on the intensity.

currently places like Bacup and Glossop would have all snow throughout.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Tonight. Looks like there will be some showers early morning but wind backs WNW so there may well be some marginality near coast. Perhaps my location is far enough away from coast but will be touch and go. 
Temps west of M6 will drop to -2 – -3°C before midnight then sharply rise in early hours to just above freezing. East of M6 should remain below freezing although will rise a little.

Any chances for here sth Mcr from any of those showers Chris?