Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
2 hours ago, Spah1 said:

When will it be the NW time to have frontal snow not just scraps of showers off the Irish Sea?  ☹️

The NW in general does not do well with frontal events, at least it doesn’t here. Showers are our best bet.

Jan 2010 was in actual fact Irish Sea convection followed by a front from the north but a lot of the snow depth was from the showers, not the front. Depends where you are placed in the region though.

Personally I much much prefer convection rather than fronts for snow, mainly because frontal snow here is so so rare. Merseyside and West Lancs do better than here with frontal snow when the wind is from an easterly vector, whereas the SE of the region often stays hone dry. 

Showers (whether from the east or west) for me every time, but I’d love to see a Feb 1996 scenario some time, it has been so long since we saw anything like that. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I think there will be further twists before we get to next weekend.

as long as it twists this way next time 

Edited by SnowWatcher2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.1ca7dcb87776447b58438024bea781c5.pngWhats not to like about that.

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

True... Just fed up with the current trends..  ah well, got Feb and March to hopefully deliver the goods for our area, positive vibes. 

It has been a weird old winter so far. Much better (relatively speaking) here in low lying Manchester than up in the hills. Snowiest winter down here for a long time, @Weather-history reckons since 09/10. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

image.thumb.png.1ca7dcb87776447b58438024bea781c5.pngWhats not to like about that.

Belter that! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

It has been a weird old winter so far. Much better (relatively speaking) here in low lying Manchester than up in the hills. Snowiest winter down here for a long time, @Weather-history reckons since 09/10. 

Yea... seems to be happening a lot more recently... same with down in Birmingham, they seem to be getting a lot more snow over past few years than we have up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tonight possible Cheshire gap activitie and/or a trough early hours.

Possible continuing scattered wintry showers Tomorrow although marginal at coast. 

Potential snow to rain event Tuesday depending on evaporative cooling timings and warm inversion arrival.
so lots before next weekend. Not even bothering looking past Tuesday yet to be honest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, Chris.R said:

Tonight possible Cheshire gap activitie and/or a trough early hours.

Possible continuing scattered wintry showers Tomorrow although marginal at coast. 

Potential snow to rain event Tuesday depending on evaporative cooling timings and warm inversion arrival.
so lots before next weekend. Not even bothering looking past Tuesday yet to be honest.

And Chris has summarised the Twists

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well according to whoever wrote the Meto text forecast there are sleet and snow showers for near the coast overnight

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The south-easterly wind

spacer.png

At least it will spare you from all the rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yeah thinking of getting up in the early hours to see what happens, but as we know Cheshire gap activity has a tendency to be either much more widespread than predicted or not happen at all.

Liverpool Taff predict a 40% probability of showers between midnight and 12 pm. Will update soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not long until the inevitable "it's too late for sticking snow because the sun's too strong."

I've had two falls in January and managed a best time of 3 hours before melt! And the one that lasted least was in the dark!

Posted

I will see what WRF thinks for the coming days on the 12Z update, but now time for match first. Back at half time.

• Like 3

Posted

Funny old day snow wise... literally light snow ALL day. Real light, fluffy snow...left literally a mini dusting...then melted in some spots and now the dustings have begun to appear as temps drop.

What was weird was the 'Phantom Radar Echoes' as lots of the day we have been under Green on the Met O app but literally nothing falling from the sky? I do think it's the shadow and I reckon 10 miles further S/E it's a totally different outlook.

Have to say though, the snow was SO pretty falling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

We’ve had nothing here in Maghull. Other than a graupel dusting yesterday morning. ?

Posted

Edit... Actually under yellows now but nothing!! haha. What is going on? I know I am to the west of the Staffordshire hills so was expecting some sort of shadow but a yellow echo and nothing coming from the sky? 

image.thumb.png.875bb7fd8119c3e2b11f2c1cc2f80779.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

Hurts to see an amber warning just south of here! I shouldn’t really moan we have a covering of snow and people are all out sledging!

no need to worry about it, Im in the amber warning area, no snow falling, although it narrow band, been to famlies which is in middle of amber area, again no snow falling,

well wasnt 20 mins ago, also non accumalated all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The NW in general does not do well with frontal events, at least it doesn’t here. Showers are our best bet.

Jan 2010 was in actual fact Irish Sea convection followed by a front from the north but a lot of the snow depth was from the showers, not the front. Depends where you are placed in the region though.

Personally I much much prefer convection rather than fronts for snow, mainly because frontal snow here is so so rare. Merseyside and West Lancs do better than here with frontal snow when the wind is from an easterly vector, whereas the SE of the region often stays hone dry. 

Showers (whether from the east or west) for me every time, but I’d love to see a Feb 1996 scenario some time, it has been so long since we saw anything like that. 

I think the problem is that snowy frontal events are just much more of a rare beast these days.

I didn’t take that much of an interest in the way that the weather worked when I was a kid  and younger adult but certainly saw the effects of it and almost every winter we had at least a couple of days which started bright and frosty before quickly clouding over, sometimes with the wind getting up.

then came the snow, first light but soon getting heavier and often blowing about and this set the scene for at least 6 hours before it would fizzle out.

Occasionally it turned back to rain before fizzling out but more often it just stayed as snow followed by a frosty night and fully intact snow the day after.

If memory serves me right then the most severe winter I can remember, 1979 along with those of the early 80’s saw such events hitting us on a regular basis and I can’t remember a single one failing to dump a decent amount of snow as it passed through.

in those days we measured snowfall in inches and the numbers were still higher than what we now measure in cm or even millimetres.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thursday is looking interesting. 

Need a dig of cold air.