North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Shocked Result Liverpool 0-1 Burnley

I am not shocked 

• Like 2

Posted

So sorry for people affected by flooding. Storm Christoph caused a lot of distress and work in our region.

In my case, mostly mopping up drips and measuring water.

The rain  for the daily manual gauge at 9 GMT was

28.1mm for 18th

81.0 mm for 19th

29.0 mm for 20th

so that's 138.1 mm for Christoph's visit.

81 mm was the highest "day" we've recorded here in the last 51 yrs.    And I think the 3 day rain event is the highest too.

Incredibly the excess water shot out of this area quickly, even forced through mouse holes in stone banks.  See attached pic.  Farmland is utterly sodden still.

Most of the time on Wednesday, the clouds were completely down on the fells.  In a less wet moment I got the attached pic of Parlick Pike on Wednesday afternoon.  It stands like a sentry in the corner of the Bowland Fells and gets rising air from most directions (Hence used by gliders)  I thought it interesting to see the orographic effects revealed, showing rain soaked clouds climbing up from the south west. 

Drainage on the on the far side of Parlick goes straight into the R.Brock.   Drainage on the slopes nearer the camera goes eventually into the R Hodder and Ribble.

The on-line river gauges showed the Brock had a big spike.  But the Ribble seemed not so sharply affected.

Wildlife is subdued. The barn owl came out bravely on Wednesday mid afternoon in a less wet spell.   Had a 5 minutes perch and then another heavy deluge sent it back to bed.

A bit of snow late Wednesday evening as Christoph's farewell.  It only stuck on the higher fells, where it has lain all day.  Showers some with hail today.

2021 Jan 20  9gmt flood off top field  into gutter nr house.jpg

2021 Jan 20 2pm Upslope Parlick.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, itsnowjoke said:

I am not shocked 

Well I am a bit lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Ok thanks for that. Seems to have done well then for snow, 5 inches. We've not a snowfall deliver 5 inches since way back end Jan 2013.

Really? We did really well in 2018 from the main beast in February and the "mini" one in March. I know you have the fells there but do you think proximity to the sea could be often scuppering things for you? As the crow flies your only 10 miles or so from Morecambe bay. Places in the south of the region that close to the Irish sea often have issues with marginality.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Really? We did really well in 2018 from the main beast in February and the "mini" one in March. I know you have the fells there but do you think proximity to the sea could be often scuppering things for you? As the crow flies your only 10 miles or so from Morecambe bay. Places in the south of the region that close to the Irish sea often have issues with marginality.

Proximity to Morecambe Bay isn't an issue, I think it's just been a case of being poorly located when snowfall events have come about. Plenty of instances when we've had significant snowfalls, just not in a while. We do very well from frontal events off the Atlantic, alas not had many of these in recent years. We are not best placed under northerly or easterly airstreams for snow, nor NW airstreams, southern parts of region so best. 

Forgot about 28 Feb 2018, yes we had about 6 inches then, so that was our last decent snowfall.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

I was sent this image today from the forecast section of Null School, for 25th Jan.

Is there another powerwash getting revved up in mid Atlantic.

2021 Jan Forecast image for 25th .JPG

Posted

Liking the snow symbols appearing on the BBC and met office forecasts Saturday and Sunday, not just the sleet symbol. Admittedly just light snow but I'll take it.

However these seem to change on a hourly basis..

Possible snow both Saturday and Sunday mornings, a weekend treat perhaps  certainly something to liven up these long gloomy January days, if it wasn't for the snow chase, I'd rather hibernate in January, what a miserable month.

• Like 6

Posted

Hopefully get a couple of decent events out of the next few days..  Saturday looks best so far, Sunday could be another snow event with possible rain mixed in around the coast for a time/sleet lower levels? Then looks to change back to snow Monday with a few showers, then maybe a possible switchover event on Tuesday back to rain. Should be a fun watch.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Posted

Isn't the set up this weekend a bit similar to the one the other year (2018 or 2019 I think) that sunk South at the last minute and gave the Midlands nearly a foot of snow? 

Not getting hopes up til anything falls from sky. 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

The pot your responded to is 2 weeks old. 

Yep I clicked on the se thread, but ended up here. Thought it was posted tonight, as been in and out all evening lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Mad hail shower here atm. Alternating between hail and snow. Everywhere white again, full covering!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

From the met office for our region this morning. Who writes this stuff? Lol

Screenshot_20210122_055641_com.android.chrome-01.jpeg

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

From the met office for our region this morning. Who writes this stuff? Lol

Screenshot_20210122_055641_com.android.chrome-01.jpeg

Yeah, this is a new one again from the metoffice. What exactly is 'wintry rain'? Cold rain? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A bit of a freezing rain shower here this morning. Very icy out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Euro 4 looks great for snow showers across the region overnight (even the Wirral.....) Both Liverpool and Manchester Airport TAFs indicating risk of snow showers throughout this evening and overnight as well. Looking forward to seeing updated thoughts from @Chris.R

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
27 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yeah, this is a new one again from the metoffice. What exactly is 'wintry rain'? Cold rain? 

It just means they haven’t got a clue so stick  rain in there but also the word wintry in there just in case

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still asleep so no morning thoughts  yet until later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

As for the ⚽️ i’m just going to go and curl up in a corner it’s embarrassing. We are not winning anything at this rate if it carries on I think I’ll do a reverse Jamie Carragher and become a toffee

Don’t think  we will ever score again!

• Like 2

Posted

A little teaser.

Big upgrade from WRF for Sunday from what it was showing  last night. Wow.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Euro 4 looks great for snow showers across the region overnight (even the Wirral.....) Both Liverpool and Manchester Airport TAFs indicating risk of snow showers throughout this evening and overnight as well. Looking forward to seeing updated thoughts from @Chris.R

Yes a very strong snow signal from Euro4 (accumulating). Always a good sign. 

Looking from frame to frame it appears to be picking up on a streamer sinking south? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Always take note when Euro 4 shows darker pinks. 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

As for the ⚽️ i’m just going to go and curl up in a corner it’s embarrassing. We are not winning anything at this rate if it carries on I think I’ll do a reverse Jamie Carragher and become a toffee

Don’t think  we will ever score again!

I feel your pain, Chris. Last night was just woeful 

• Thanks 1