Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Great evening for weather watching. 2 to 3 inches of snow after 40mm of rain. As others have mentioned, its the sort of quick change in weather you expect in such continental locations as N America. Not sure I can remember such an occasion in nearly 40 years of avidly staring at the skies. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

More snow which will melt on higher ground from the morning (I think?) while river levels will continue to rise, already record breaking levels at Northenden (3.16m so far from previous 3m) 

I'm just wondering whether this snow will help or make it worse as it melts

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gadje said:

jaffa cakesing on the fire because I got no fire?

I came in to congratuate you lot on your unexpected snow. Had some of that too. Fab ain't it!. May it long continue and as far afield as possible....even Lincolnshire.

Well is 50 50 here sometimes being capital of Lincolnshire wolds just living outside the wolds don't know if gonna be snow or rain these days 

Posted
54 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

remember that 5cm of snow is another 5mm of water to the river system! 

Not this snow, it's incredibly heavy and dense, I'd say another 10mm.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

A pic of the Crewe- Sandbach bypass haven’t seen it so bad since the 18th Jan 2013 (that was a good event for us south of Manchester) and the infamous 17th/18th Dec 2010 event. Think gritters may have been caught out slightly ⚠️❄️ 

86AC8885-BF4F-4266-B2A4-0FABD04C417D.jpeg

It's an impossible job for the gritters, so wet and heavy. I imagine they're concentrating on the motorways.

I just had a bike ride around Chorlton, the roads are very slushy, no problem with grip as my tyres just cut through to the tarmac no problem. All the puddles have already cooled enough to support a skin of slush from the fallen snow.

The Mersey doesn't look any higher here than it did at 1515.

Surreal standing on Jackson's Bridge with the water less than a metre below my feet, with snow all around and still falling gently. A once in a lifetime experience I think.

https://youtu.be/dgMWwoQ5FXM

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ramp said:

So, what next?

Hopefully more snow...  looks promising up until Monday eve looking at current updates(recent update showing 10cm snow for Saturday and 10cm Monday) - could change I suppose , but I'm on positive side  

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Weather Extremes

No ...thats fine.... been stalking this website since the The bbc forum closed ..how ever years ago .... I have a busy life and just don’t have time to study all the weather parameters amd performance level between gfsecm ,meto and parallel charts let alone ssw and mjo charts ... but I have been  stalking u all for years ... about time I over came me fear and registered. although don’t expect me .. yet .. to really contribute till  my knowledge improves...if it ever get there.. but love  pretending I’m a Exeter Meteorologist to family and friends by listerning to your Whether enthusiasts/experts .. any way.... I have waffled on Enough... I blame Man Utd and Fulham combined with snow for me putting myself above the Parapet ... ????????

Edited by One off
  • Like 4

Posted

What is it with these daily Antonovs flying overhead at this time?

• Like 1

Posted

Still snowing moderately here... -1c 4-5 inches... on cars/bins... 3-4 inches on tarmac/patio... hopefully more in coming hours/days with showers/streamers/frontal systems 

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

What is it with these daily Antonovs flying overhead at this time?

Likely in relation to this deal between UK and Ukraine, presumably high ranking Ukrainian officials checking places out or progress. 

WWW.NAVAL-TECHNOLOGY.COM

The UK is set to loan Ukraine £1.25bn to boost its naval capabilities under a deal that could see British shipyards construct new missile-equipped craft for the...

ukraine-30thDec.jpeg
WWW.ARMY-TECHNOLOGY.COM

The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense has signed a memorandum with Antonov State Enterprise to procure An-178 medium transport aircraft.

Edited by Frosty the Snowman
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Likely in relation to this deal between UK and Ukraine, presumably high ranking Ukrainian officials checking places out or progress. 

https://www.naval-technology.com/features/ukraine-to-boost-naval-capabilities-with-uk-loan/

Wow I didn't know about this

Posted
1 minute ago, Dkeane3 said:

Wow I didn't know about this

I mean it could be something entirely unrelated, but that seems the most plausible (specially with the Ukrainian military buying a few Antonovs recently) 

• Like 1

Posted

2,000 homes evacuated around didsbury, Peak expected at 4am

Posted
32 minutes ago, One off said:

No ...thats fine.... been stalking this website since the The bbc forum closed ..how ever years ago .... I have a busy life and just don’t have time to study all the weather parameters amd performance level between gfsecm ,meto and parallel charts let alone ssw and mjo charts ... but I have been  stalking u all for years ... about time I over came me fear and registered. although don’t expect me .. yet .. to really contribute till  my knowledge improves...if it ever get there.. but love  pretending I’m a Exeter Meteorologist to family and friends by listerning to your Whether enthusiasts/experts .. any way.... I have waffled on Enough... I blame Man Utd and Fulham combined with snow for me putting myself above the Parapet ... ????????

So your the one that’s been hiding in my garden

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just noticed the streamer over the Cheshire gap, presumably once the main precip fully clears off to the east/north we could get one slightly north (closer to IoM) to give some more snowfall overnight/during tomorrow? 

Is it falling as snow in Cheshire etc? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Joe Snow said:

A pic of the Crewe- Sandbach bypass haven’t seen it so bad since the 18th Jan 2013 (that was a good event for us south of Manchester) and the infamous 17th/18th Dec 2010 event. Think gritters may have been caught out slightly ⚠️❄️ 

86AC8885-BF4F-4266-B2A4-0FABD04C417D.jpeg

Where was that taken mate, looks like top end of Hungerford Rd near the new roundabout to the bypass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Weather Extremes

Sorry it’snojoke .. I’m new at this  and no clue how to navigate this website yet ..  sorry I’m totally done in .. hope I’ll wake up and remember this conversation.. so sorry ., I’m absolutely confused what I’ve just done .,, I had pictures to upload but it’s time to sleep .. sorry if I’ve been a bit of a Embarrassment

Edited by One off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
Just now, CreweCold said:

Where was that taken mate, looks like top end of Hungerford Rd near the new roundabout to the bypass.

Got it off a uk weather Twitter page yep it’s taken on the new roundabout to the Crewe- Sandbach bypass about 2hrs ago. Worst I’ve seen it in a while in terms of snow although slushy and thick wet snow not dry and packed. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Just noticed the streamer over the Cheshire gap, presumably once the main precip fully clears off to the east/north we could get one slightly north (closer to IoM) to give some more snowfall overnight/during tomorrow? 

Rain here and rapid thaw

Posted
4 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Got it off a uk weather Twitter page yep it’s taken on the new roundabout to the Crewe- Sandbach bypass about 2hrs ago. Worst I’ve seen it in a while in terms of snow although slushy and thick wet snow not dry and packed. 

Yep that's the top of my road!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Definitely streamer heading into Cheshire I'm at work so no idea what's falling but it is now rain at the airport 

C.S