Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Geographically this met warning covers Greater Manchester but other than a few sheep who is it going to bother.

Screenshot_20210112-123452_Chrome.jpg

Posted

Still within the warning area only just mind. 50/50 chance of a notable spell of heavy snow or plain old rain.. the front looks slower moving so the depth of cold ahead of it will be greater. Pennines prime spot to be, anywhere with a bit of height say 250m should very well. Hoping we dont have a couple of hours of heavy wet snow that then turns into a sleety mess rest of the day but that could be our fortune. Nowcast situation

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

image.thumb.png.3b723389faf0bf271844f402cbad03e2.png (12.00 - Thurs) Maybe the far North East of our region will get hit, either way will be interesting to watch.

Edited by SnowWatcher2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
2 hours ago, frosty ground said:

Met office App has Sleet for Moorside all day Wednesday and Thursday, Heavy rain vs Heavy sleet (lose lose)

If it only showing sleet for you, then there is not a chance for the rest of us. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Hill said:

If it only showing sleet for you, then there is not a chance for the rest of us. 

Rain now for Wednesday sleet Thursday, glad to avoid the freezing rain most will get further east Wednesday to be fair.

Really its just a rain event with maybe a dash of snow at the end , there has been no correction west in the last 24 hours.

• Like 1

Posted

Comfortably sunny and warm this morning.   Max got to 3.9C.   Temp dropping fast this afternoon.  Now 1.4C.   Puddles frozen over again.

Collected 30.4mm at 9GMT for all yesterday's drizzle and last night's heavy rain.  Washed all the snow away, even off the fells.

Wondering if it will be back.  Grey pall of cloud advaancing from the WSW in last 2 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Those higher up in the East and North of the region may get a pleasant surprise as the updated metoffice text forecast for the region mentions that some snow is likely, particularly over hills tomorrow. Mentions similar snow risk again on Thursday, so nowcast for those areas for sure.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Those higher up in the East and North of the region may get a pleasant surprise as the updated metoffice text forecast for the region mentions that some snow is likely, particularly over hills tomorrow. Mentions similar snow risk again on Thursday, so nowcast for those areas for sure.

Considering the region includes the western Pennines and Cumbria I am not surprised they mention snow.

Posted

I think any snowfall will be reserved for the highest ground only in our region, just looks like a wet day for the most part too me sadly. 

I suppose its going to be interesting how it will all develop though. I think some are looking at the charts and think it's a snowfest where Infact it could be just sleet or wet snow which will never ever settle.

Posted

Now -0.1C.  Lawn grass frozen and also the washing outside on the line.

Thin needling breeze from NW.  Pressure rising.

Just had a 10min power cut.     Fortunately back on in time to finish work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
17 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

Now -0.1C.  Lawn grass frozen and also the washing outside on the line.

Thin needling breeze from NW.  Pressure rising.

Just had a 10min power cut.     Fortunately back on in time to finish work.

Freeze drying , Now there's a thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already 1.9°C so almost at the forecast minimum here already. Maybe an issue with freezing rain for some tomorrow morning.

Posted

Peak District and Yorkshire Dales forecast mention rain, sleet snow Thursday but nothing about accumulations or problems 

lots of black ice about over monks road to charlesworth and down Torside looking at Facebook plus our wood delivery met with an icy incident and the driver taken to hospital poor bloke saw the fire engine and police go past whilst charging car battery 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 hours ago, frosty ground said:

Met warning extended slightly south and snow amounts have been reduced no westward correction

It’s gone slightly further east if anything, probably just a slip of the highlighter but yesterday I was bragging that it went right through my house; now it’s over the border in Todmorden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

It’s been a lovely winters day after heavy pouring rain all last night sunny and bright not too mild not too cold ‘Goldilocks weather’ at 7c but would really love some snow back! ❄️ ☃️ 

Moderately High ground in the north & east still in with a chance of seeing some sleet & wet snow tomorrow into Thursday Met Office update slightly more encouraging but cold rain for the majority further west at the moment but it’ll be a nowcast situation for sure. Late Jan though is still looking fairly promising but I best not jinx it ☃️ It’s been a strange winter so far not overly mild, not exactly average, some snow and ice but not exactly memorably cold either. 

Sandbach Crosses in the snow, South Cheshire (29th Dec) ❄️☃️ 

5B9506DD-6FE8-43E6-AB18-7EF9DD43B453.thumb.jpeg.718b6154ac31e62607b3f77ee8bd2eb4.jpeg

• Like 6

The following post also applies to our region too. It's just a case of realizing that the cold air mass will remain further east for longer & so we're less likely to get the cold contour westwards enough. If it does progress further west then the evaporative cooling laws apply. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

GRRRRRR that mad thread!

• Like 8

Posted

Just been down to Chadderton to sort out a laptop issue that was stopping my inlaws communicating.

Set off and -1C, got down there, +1. Coming back I arrived to a -2C

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

Just been down to Chadderton to sort out a laptop issue that was stopping my inlaws communicating.

Set off and -1C, got down there, +1. Coming back I arrived to a -2C

Yes, simple meteorological explanation. Stress from people in the mad thread in Manchester giving off heat.

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes, simple meteorological explanation. Stress from people in the mad thread in Manchester giving off heat.

I had to read back on the Mad thread and yes, 'uppersgate' is on its rounds again with stress, toys and prams being primed for an all out assault.

Wish casting can be fun but like the lottery, its usually someone else that has that ticket to scoop the jackpot.

• Like 2

Posted

Greens and pink already showing up in Ireland from the approaching front. Is this a sign of cold air being further west than thought?

C649FED2-781F-41E5-A51D-D975ABCEC756.png

Posted

Often read the mountain weather forecasts to gain an idea of where the snowline might be when snow is forecast. Very surprised, quite shocked to see one showing the freezing level jumping from 200m at 9am to 1400m at 12pm.. seems very odd. Suggests to me that there is alot of warm air aloft wrapped in with the warm front and only a shallow layer of cold air, hence I can see why freezing rain might fall initially. The warm air aloft will be saturated. I'm now not holding out much hope for any snow here tomorrow, perhaps a bit of sleety whiteness as the front arrives, but quickly turning back to rain. I could be wrong and the front may produce the goods, all depends on how quickly it advances and how heavy any precipitation is. Models seem to suggest less precipitation than expected, and less chance for evaporative cooling.

Not sure about Thursday looks like some colder air will be advected on the western flank of the front as it stalls, quite an odd evolution, so better chance of some back edge snow, but it may all be too far east.

Prime spot for snow tomorrow and Thursday Pennine eastern upslopes, high spots such as Consett should do very well and further north into the Cheviots, and Northumberland. 

I'd be much more disappointed at current prospects if the longer term output was much poorer for snow, alas, I'll remain patient for next week. I'm not relishing the prospect of two cold wet days maxima around 2-3 degrees, very raw and bleak springs to mind! Brrr hide under a duvet days..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

Just popped in garden and had a rural fox visitor (been wondering what’s been setting off the security lights) run toward me then run down the drive....  and a bright white barn owl howling in the tree... love local wildlife 

• Like 3

Posted

Wildlife.... hmmm  various categories there 

• Like 1