North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
14 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Here today

IMG_20210109_125916.thumb.jpg.56d90bdc8e39caacce21fdf9bf93a1e3.jpg

Madrid today

Madrid-sepultada-dejado-temporal-Filomena_1426967295_16287351_1200x675.thumb.jpg.ab7ca5f80055114d64a7359be069d5bd.jpg

You know the saying...

The grass is way's greener.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
14 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

So as the sun sets on this cold spell and we enter a slightly more average/ milder blip of weather the stats for the last 2 weeks whilst not extreme aren’t too shabby either for the Cheshire plain compared to the mild stormy Atlantic sludge of recent winters:   -

Max snow depth: 6cm

Min Overnight Temp: -4c

Min Daytime Temp: 1c

Late January into February may well be the next thing to watch I don’t think winter is done with us just yet ❄️ ⛄️   

Yes had a quick look through the GFS - nothing really of note in the short term  -  don't "do" FI - Euro high building then maybe a brief incursion for some winteriness on the tops Wednesday 13th and Tuesday 19th but that's as far as I'm looking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well it looks like the thaw has set in now with much of Fridays covering on the drive now turning to slush although with my bad back preventing me doing much in the way of snow shovelling, for once I’m not bothered☹️

I just hope that this isn’t the last meaningful snow of winter 20-21 though.

Posted
27 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

This spell for me has been magical, I know I have spammed you all with the pics haha but for me best spell (of snow...on ground, play etc) since 2010. 

My love of snow was given to me by my Dad, I remember watching little diamonds fall when I was little during a early 90s BFTE, I was mesmerised...and hooked. Since then we have had many a chopse on the phone about snow prospects etc. Obviously in his 70s he is not on here but still makes his predictions by wind direction and the BBC . Being a single chap my parents are my bubble so my Dad drove up to see the snow knowing a proper thaw was imminent. My Dad never does anything alone without my mum, so to have a few hours walking in the snow talking about all the falls we remember together and separately was so special.  I told him to come up at 3pm to get the sunset  etc and we timed it bob on.  I was quite emotional when he left, definitely made a memory I will cherish. 

3c7aeb93-229f-4ed3-b12c-38b25eb0f04a.jpg

517f9a1b-57d2-44e5-9d00-ff81956a88e5.jpg

9d27585c-0800-4af4-a25a-421139e9efda.jpg

d79e7903-da15-4fba-9a88-a3e409d8deb7.jpg

9314654b-5169-4f91-bee9-c69c6f50deea.jpg

c2bd9d16-2627-444b-9f6c-e1b22a0b13fc.jpg

Good story mate.

• Like 3

Posted

Raining melting the snow I had nearly all gone now and windy too

Posted

Strayed onto the MOD thread - some mention of ensemble dip.

Anyway here's the Cumbria ENS and some GFS from +237 to see if it holds support at around 21st Jan - a while off I know.

t850Cumbria.thumb.png.2b22603227f2075c5a7296f75da9e4ec.png

h500slp.thumb.png.810372458bab71d9c9d31113f4f5f6ea.png

uksnowrisk.thumb.png.31f06d1c19afdf92ff3cce97cb4d5408.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

everyone enjoy their 2-3 cm last week! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Yeah and their three figure cm’s stretches across hundreds of miles, here it becomes a dusting just a couple of miles down the road.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

They get an awful lot of snow for an island, considering they're a lower latitude than us what is it with that region that produces so much for them while we barely get scraps ?

Also what a miserable overcast day today is, barely any light all that's missing is some rain

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy drizzle 3c thick fog... feels like we’re in the clouds... still remnants of snow on drive/roof... saw on Facebook numerous rescues by glossop mountain rescue yesterday up snake pass near bomber site...

some cautioned too as breaking covid rules as travelled from Manchester and Liverpool   

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Heavy drizzle 3c thick fog... feels like we’re in the clouds... still remnants of snow on drive/roof... saw on Facebook numerous rescues by glossop mountain rescue yesterday up snake pass near bomber site...

some cautioned too as breaking covid rules as travelled from Manchester and Liverpool   

Same here, thoroughly depressing conditions again today and unlike when there is snow in the forecast, we are not in a shadow so enjoying a good drizzle fest.

Posted
1 hour ago, Spah1 said:

Didn't even get that...cannot imagine those depths of snow...my largest falls have been probably 1ft (2010) maybe more in the 80's but I wasn't weather savvy then, too young.

I see Darren 'at least it will be mild' Bett is on the rota for the BBC forecasts today...and the weather is perfect for his presentation.  Dull, milder and drizzly.

Have to say it...the weather is looking a bit 'naff' this week.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In terms of Japan, take a look at this satellite picture. Japan has a pretty unknown but amazing ski industry. In fact all of western Hokkaido (the northern island) and Honshu (the main island) benefits from a few interesting geographic facts which produce these big snowfalls. As you can see in the image, they have basically have siberia to the west - with a relatively small and warm sea inbetwen. The  semi-permanent siberian high pressure system in winter, coupled with low pressure to the north brings that frigid air over the sea of Japan and then into the very mountainous terrain of Japan...the result is a mega snow machine which makes the BFTE look very tame in comparison! The city of Sapporo, for example gets an average of 5.96 m of snow per year! Amazing. image.thumb.png.f57f86621e75080a52d0af3ce8f5bc9b.png

Edited by Mark88
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Drizzly and depressing here too, and snow all gone, dont know how people prefer this to snow.

Posted

Back to more typical mid winter fayre today, grey, low cloud and drizzle. Max temp 6 degrees. A much earlier onset of dusk ahead, which will be a shock as many evenings lately have held light until close to 5pm.

Mild night ahead. Tomorrow looks like bringing first dose of heavy rain since Boxing Day. 16 days without much rain preety good going for the Lake District in the heart of winter. Traditionally we see a drying up come February.

Hope people made the most of the sun's vitamin D since Christmas, it has made the last 2 weeks far more bearable than otherwise would have been, an energy and mood booster. It is natures natural health medicine, we all need it now more than ever.

• Like 2

Posted
On 09/01/2021 at 11:49, robbo88 said:

No frost in hattersley, car said it was1c.

2 minutes up the road to the Werneth Low, its a winter wonderland... 

20210109_111609.jpg

20210109_112226.jpg

Been there today and no, it wasnt like in your picture. Great for falling on your ar*e and tobogganing.

Nice Cockerpoo btw, same colour and nose as ours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, SnowThunder said:

They get an awful lot of snow for an island, considering they're a lower latitude than us what is it with that region that produces so much for them while we barely get scraps ?

Also what a miserable overcast day today is, barely any light all that's missing is some rain

They get a lot of snow because very cold air to their NW over China & Russia travels over the sea of Japan creating a lot of snow showers that pile into the country. Similar to our beasts from the east when the north sea creates loads of showers. Except their beasts are much more frequent so the snow piles up, they don't have a warming gulf stream like western Europe either so it's colder than normal for how far south they are.

• Like 1

The best case scneario for next week, shown on the GFS 12z, is good for the inland parts of the region with at least 100-150ft. Probably not making us stand out like at the end of December, but for sure at least as good as the Midlands which for the low lying parts is pretty rare. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Mad thread is really hard to read tonight. 3 people say ECM is amazing then another 3 people say ECM is terrible. Clear as mud!

• Like 2

Posted

mod thread has taken on the same behaviour as Capitol Hill.

Well respected member launched teddies and the pram.