Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Think it's safe to say that band is doing what ever it wants and the met and bbc have pulled a blinder ha ha

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Looking at the current radar predictions in the last timeslot it looks like its heading North West slightly now? whats going on.

Yes, a definite NW shift in the last 15 mins.Clouds appearing to the south into what was a clear sky an hour ago!

Posted

Wow, just watched the weather on the BBC news channel 30 seconds ago and they said the rain/snow will clear southwards away from current Southern England pointing at the far south west, are they blind or something.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Wow, just watched the weather on the BBC news channel 30 seconds ago and they said the rain/snow will clear southwards away from current Southern England pointing at the far south west, are they blind or something.

Forecasts have been utterly abysmal lately. I think they were more accurate years ago!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Forecasts have been utterly abysmal lately. I think they were more accurate years ago!

Yeah, all this money on super computers as well, probably relying too much on them and not doing enough research themselves.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

youve got to wonder if the lack of data from flights is really affecting things now.  ever since the lockdown weve seen more and more random out of the blue events for rainfall, wind, frost etc

Alot of detail of extremes are being missed at the moment...

quite exciting in one way - incredibly frustrating in another (today an example)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Totally agree.. 

you can’t beat shoving your head out the window and see what the weather is doing. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, jam2010 said:

Doesn't matter what direction still misses Manchester.

Just started snowing here now,(lightly) still think there is potential for a little covering later on - could be getting my hopes up again though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Light to moderate snow, but not settling.. frustrating 

• Like 1

Posted

Snake pass is closed so there as been a bit of snow falling to my south east.  I'd rather the skies clear now, too top up the overnight frost totals...one thing I haven't been short of this current cold spell.

Posted

What is going on with Met Office? Who writes their forecast? This was issued at 4pm.....does not one look at the ruddy radar!!!!! 

This Evening and Tonight:

This evening will be largely dry with clearing skies. A cold night to come with a widespread frost and a risk of icy stretches. Feeling very cold. Minimum temperature -9 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

so hope this is correct... image.thumb.png.4be4de5b305d2714b46d3aa9a651d1f6.png

I have got something similar 7.45 on the doors of Mcr.. will see as I don’t think it’s gonna make past the Mcr shadow effect

B98C5AB3-5BC3-4327-9820-24D73AE16B4B.jpeg

Edited by raul_sbd
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Complete let down here.

pretty much constant snow all day but other than a 10 minute spell around lunchtime, little more than flurries and at the end of it, no more on the ground than first thing this morning.

For such a wet part of the country, I honestly didn’t think we could be in a rain shadow from every direction but the last week or so have pretty much proved it.

• Like 3

Posted

What an odd frontal feature, was meant to move south, but instead seems to have stalled and now moving west, even north west. Indeed it's been a period of unusual movement front and trough wise, streamers popping up where not expected to. 

After a very frustrating day looking at the radar and wondering why there was nothing falling from the sky despite the radar showing pink, we finally have some snow. Nothing special, a cm or two at very best, but enough to given an even cover - same amount as overnight 30/31 Dec.

Looks to be petering out now, though may see a bit more depending on where the band moves..

A more heavier fall and a very bitter night would be on the cards, alas still expecting our coldest night of the season, some parts of S Scotland could go down to -15 degrees!

Tomorrow will be another cold one, though a slight westerly drift will raise temps in the afternoon, so a thaw should occur. Tomorrow morning first thing will be very icy indeed, and a great time for snowy wintry snaps.

• Like 3

Posted

Well today has saved this cold spell. Woke this morning to two inches on the ground, light snow on a stiff northerly all day has left another 1/2 inch. Another bitter mid winters day. Shame all this snow will be gone in a couple of days after such a long cold spell of dustings. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

What an odd frontal feature, was meant to move south, but instead seems to have stalled and now moving west, even north west. Indeed it's been a period of unusual movement front and trough wise, streamers popping up where not expected to. 

After a very frustrating day looking at the radar and wondering why there was nothing falling from the sky despite the radar showing pink, we finally have some snow. Nothing special, a cm or two at very best, but enough to given an even cover - same amount as overnight 30/31 Dec.

Looks to be petering out now, though may see a bit more depending on where the band moves..

A more heavier fall and a very bitter night would be on the cards, alas still expecting our coldest night of the season, some parts of S Scotland could go down to -15 degrees!

Tomorrow will be another cold one, though a slight westerly drift will raise temps in the afternoon, so a thaw should occur. Tomorrow morning first thing will be very icy indeed, and a great time for snowy wintry snaps.

Yep and ITV have still got it wrong as just watched the 6pm news and they're still saying its moving south!

Posted

Well the last hurrah from this front with a bit of snow, wet in nature so still nothing sticking sadly. 

All if only if temperatures was a degree cooler because could of been a decent snow event but nothing on the ground this morning suggested even if it did snow last night, it was too wet and even though it tried a little bit this afternoon, the snow was not heavy enough consistently to really starting to stick. 

Posted

The 1 update they got right, bit late with the warning though, and still misses my area, ha 

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

So the cold spell goes out with a whimper shame really I see the Mod Thread keep mentioning 2013 absolutely no from my POV the stupid rain shadow robbed me big time whilst 5 miles down the road got an 8 inch pasting rest a sure a battle ground situation will end in tears for someone because that rain shadow will come into play much rather A BFTE as 2018 proved the myth of never getting snow from the East was put to bed.Anyway all that in the future as we look at at least a week of high teen temperatures And wet at times,guaranteed the rain will effect us all.

Have a good weekend and stay safe.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

So the cold spell goes out with a whimper shame really I see the Mod Thread keep mentioning 2013 absolutely no from my POV the stupid rain shadow robbed me big time whilst 5 miles down the road got an 8 inch pasting rest a sure a battle ground situation will end in tears for someone because that rain shadow will come into play much rather A BFTE as 2018 proved the myth of never getting snow from the East was put to bed.Anyway all that in the future as we look at at least a week of high teen temperatures And wet at times,guaranteed the rain will effect us all.

Have a good weekend and stay safe.

C.S

It always ends in tiers at the moment.... sorry

yep big let down even here... messy 1-2 inches snow slowly compacting/melting... new warning not going to do much here... it’s snowing but light again.. hoping we might still get a frost/below zero here tonight... still 0.5c with the cloud cover/fog/low cloud 

Edited by WillinGlossop