Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
42 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Have you ever had anything noteworthy?

Think we got about 1ft in Feb 1996 but was too young too remember, we got about 10cm on 28th December 2000 and 10-15cm with 2-3ft drifts March 2006, thawed quickly though, the rest are in my signature but cant see them on my phone.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Think we got about 1ft in Feb 1996 but was too young too remember, we got about 10cm on 28th December 2000 and 10-15cm with 2-3ft drifts March 2006, thawed quickly though, the rest are in my signature but cant see them on my phone.

Hi, Feb 1996 was epic. Yes 1ft of level snow and drifts up to 6ft . I was working at Sellafield at the time. Snow started 8.00am on the Monday when I arrived at work.By 10.00 schools were being closed and we got the order to leave site at 12.00. Took me 4 hours to get home.Many didn’t make it who lived further afield and walked home  or stopped in local sports centers.was off work the whole week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Gone Misty here now. 

AA1032B6-8376-447F-AA7D-EF3B550EBDE0.jpeg

36D42BCC-A968-4C17-AE8D-25E6C8A75859.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, superslick said:

Yep 1.2c, but the sensor is about 1.7 metres off the ground away from the house. I'm near the town centre towards AOM. 

How high up should sensors be? I have a new one, and its a good 8 ft off the ground, suspect it is not giving accurate readings, too high? Mine too is 1.2 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

@Chris.R

This isn't where you used to live mate is it? Taken from the Liverpool Echo this morning. Very localised.

629180008_Screenshot_2020-12-31Trafficandtravelupdatesasweatherforcestraincancellations.thumb.png.b37a8c437f025a764fc7ede102b720de.png

No Little Crosby was about a mile to the nw from where I used to live; I was in Great Crosby. That’s bloody typical though although it was probably ice pellets, not snow.

Little Crosby is literally half a mile from the sea.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dkeane3 said:

Cumbria seems to be the unluckiest part of the country, the so called 'snow starved SE' has nothing on it

Disagree on this point, it is a very large County with major differences. I would agree the coastal areas do poorly for snow, need deep embedded cold air and frontal systems to deposit the goods to such parts. However, you only have to travel say 10 miles inland from the coast and it is a different story, thanks to the high fells. The central lakeland valleys do well for snow and hold it well. I would say East Cumbria is nearly as snowy as much of the central Pennine regions and can receive significant falls from easterly and north easterly outbreaks.

Cumbria is a world unto itself when it comes to weather, has its own microclimate. We often have snow when the rest of the region doesn't, and vice versa.

In respect to the last week we have been in the wrong place, everything seeming wanting to pivot around the county, if it was rain, we would hit the jackpot!

• Like 3

Posted

Parts of Cumbria did well in March 2013 

_66569022_66569021.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Aerial footage shows cars, trucks and vans completely buried under snow drifts in Cumbria, after blizzard conditions on Friday and overnight into Saturday.

I remember that system depositing bucket loads of the stuff out to to west (also Northern Ireland) whilst eastern parts of the region mostly missed out.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Disagree on this point, it is a very large County with major differences. I would agree the coastal areas do poorly for snow, need deep embedded cold air and frontal systems to deposit the goods to such parts. However, you only have to travel say 10 miles inland from the coast and it is a different story, thanks to the high fells. The central lakeland valleys do well for snow and hold it well. I would say East Cumbria is nearly as snowy as much of the central Pennine regions and can receive significant falls from easterly and north easterly outbreaks.

Cumbria is a world unto itself when it comes to weather, has its own microclimate. We often have snow when the rest of the region doesn't, and vice versa.

In respect to the last week we have been in the wrong place, everything seeming wanting to pivot around the county, if it was rain, we would hit the jackpot!

We done well from the easterly 2018 most snow I've seen fall in my life

Posted

Woke up to some snow or what looked like snow but it had already started melting and is mostly gone now but it's the first snowfall that I can actually remember since 2012 (There was probably some snow since then but it wasn't rememberable and likely this years will be forgotten too)

Edited by SnowThunder

Posted
57 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

How high up should sensors be? I have a new one, and its a good 8 ft off the ground, suspect it is not giving accurate readings, too high? Mine too is 1.2 degrees.

I've no idea but would guess around 2, away from any houses!! When I popped to get something out of the car earlier, the car thermometer was saying 2c. 

Mine is on a north facing wall in the yard where it doesn't get any sunlight on close enough for the bluetooth to connect to the main station. Its accurate enough for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
4 minutes ago, superslick said:

I've no idea but would guess around 2, away from any houses!! When I popped to get something out of the car earlier, the car thermometer was saying 2c. 

Mine is on a north facing wall in the yard where it doesn't get any sunlight on close enough for the bluetooth to connect to the main station. Its accurate enough for me

Mine is on a north facing fence about 2 metres high about 10 metres from the house,it's not an official temp but it's also accurate enough for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yeah I always put my sensors about 1.8–2 m high as far from the house as possible and in the north end of the garden as shaded as possible. Mine is currently about 8 m from the house above some soil and grass on a fence post. Crosby one is on the garage wall above some flagstones not far from some grass.

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 hours ago, Dkeane3 said:

Cumbria seems to be the unluckiest part of the country, the so called 'snow starved SE' has nothing on it

Ok on tops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
3 hours ago, jam2010 said:

Now we have mist, what an unusual morning

Yes  - very light snow to horrendous freezing rain then graupel -  sleet -  rain -  sleet now the suns out and drip drip....

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Yes  - very light snow to horrendous freezing rain then graupel -  sleet -  rain -  sleet now the suns out and drip drip....

Rinse and repeat! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain showers, 1C. It’s honestly unbelievable the variables that need to fall into place for it to snow here. Anywhere else, 1C and PPN = snow. 

Most areas still iced over, melting, but still iced over. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Rain showers, 1C. It’s honestly unbelievable the variables that need to fall into place for it to snow here. Anywhere else, 1C and PPN = snow. 

Most areas still iced over, melting, but still iced over. 

We have had no cover and no ice up to now so in the same boat, we ussally do pretty well IMBY but not this week.

• Like 1

Posted

Turned quite misty/foggy here, take that as a bad sign for snowfall though because its warmer air aloft going over cold surface air from what I read last night.

Too think that stuff over Northern Ireland could be over us and with us having better conditions, snowfall could of been a real possibility.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Been a glorious, sunny afternoon here so far. Can see a few clouds rolling in from the NW again now.