Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

MET for 6am..

Screenshot_20201230-184335_Chrome.jpg

Showers are always a bit hit and miss but I’m sure most in this thread would take their chances with that.

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, iand61 said:

After a mainly foggy day, the frost has set in quickly and the car windscreen was frozen by 6pm.

the strange thing is that although it’s fine, the door bell camera is showing what looks like falling snow so maybe it’s picking up the dampness in the air.

I’ve seen snowflakes forming in fog in Bacup before !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Coldest I’ve felt it outside since the cold spell started. It’s hovering around 0C again, but it feels bitter. Water on cars from earlier rain is rapidly freezing over. Another ice rink for later when I take the dog. 

BBC still showing heavy snow showers from 10pm here. Doubt it, energy has dissipated in the Irish sea now. They were falling as rain anyway at 2C today, which is always disappointing. That’s more than cold enough for snow given the right upper condition and airmass for the DP.

We in the west are really cursed with that sea. Can’t win. The nail in the coffin was when the stuff from the east fell as rain. Normally a snow all the way direction. Always gotta be something ruining it. 

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, iand61 said:

After a mainly foggy day, the frost has set in quickly and the car windscreen was frozen by 6pm.

the strange thing is that although it’s fine, the door bell camera is showing what looks like falling snow so maybe it’s picking up the dampness in the air.

My Cameras picked this up too! Started about 5ish. You’d swear it was snowing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

MET for 6am..

Screenshot_20201230-184335_Chrome.jpg

Would be great to wake up in utter shock tomorrow to see snow falling nevermind on the ground. Not convinced, I know there are many parameters for snow but experience living here tells me showers drifting down off the Irish Sea needs uppers of -8 minimum. I should of listened to my head this week and not my heart to save the frustration.

However I still strongly believe snow will come in Jan though, maybe as early as next week looking at the latest output.

Ps, your posts in the MOD thread seem fine to me mate.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

Would be great to wake up in utter shock tomorrow to see snow falling nevermind on the ground. Not convinced, I know there are many parameters for snow but experience living here tells me showers drifting down off the Irish Sea needs uppers of -8 minimum. I should of listened to my head this week and not my heart to save the frustration.

However I still strongly believe snow will come in Jan though, maybe as early as next week looking at the latest output.

I know my interpretation of the ECM run stirred up quite the fuss. It is loaded with wintry potential for these areas.

You are likely to see rain / sleet tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
28 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

I’ve seen snowflakes forming in fog in Bacup before !

Strange things happen in Bacup, that’s probably why they filmed Brassic here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

The MAD thread living up to it’s name tonight. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Hill said:

The MAD thread living up to it’s name tonight. 

Why whats going on, another failed snowmaggedon.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Well if winds are on shore then your correct but if winds off shore then any showers from the Irish sea can fall as snow with lower upper air temps.

It's amazing how much the forecast has changed for tomorrow, typically for us, for the worse. Tomorrow now looks sunnier and drier instead of snow turning back to rain. 

You never know though, maybe those showers that the met office are picking up might deliver for some.

Posted

Bbc forecast going for heavy snow showers tonight between 11pm and 5am continuous... their map forecast has nothing.. what are they playing at

-1c icing up out 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
Just now, iand61 said:

Why whats going on, another failed snowmaggedon.

A few people upset, that the ECM is showing easterly winds and bringing rain to their areas. 

Posted
Just now, Winter Hill said:

A few people upset, that the ECM is showing easterly winds and bringing rain to their areas. 

Oh bless

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Well if winds are on shore then your correct but if winds off shore then any showers from the Irish sea can fall as snow with lower upper air temps.

It's amazing how much the forecast has changed for tomorrow, typically for us, for the worse. Tomorrow now looks sunnier and drier instead of snow turning back to rain. 

You never know though, maybe those showers that the met office are picking up might deliver for some.

Yes i should have added that in, that's what I was getting at as the Irish Sea is a horrible moderator & curse! 

Posted

I'm getting this as well... (Audley)

image.thumb.png.108c1b6cef20e93b7843f414bf312eb4.png

Crewe actually has more forecast! Kasim, where is this coming from? I take it a Cheshire Gap type scenario but the radar is dead?

...though to be fair it isn't meant to start till midnight?

Edited by captaincroc
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Crewe actually has more forecast! Kasim, where is this coming from? I take it a Cheshire Gap type scenario but the radar is dead?

Sorry, Kasim, I have read it back and it looks like an 'order'. . It was more wonderment and you seem to know your shizzle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Problem with the BBC eeather App is you need to look at the % for PPN for my location its around 50% for Heavey snow showers from 1am-7am I would prefer 80% to be a bit more confident.

We will found out in the morning 

@Kasim Awan any updates?

C.S

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

There is a slight signal for a streamer of showers to form around Southport and head south east into the easlrly hours. It's development depends on how fast the trough pulls south, too fast and it wont develop a good structure. A nowcast I feel, and the added complication of a nasty warm slice above which is currently producing a bit of fog.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Problem with the BBC eeather App is you need to look at the % for PPN for my location its around 50% for Heavey snow showers from 1am-7am I would prefer 80% to be a bit more confident.

We will found out in the morning 

@Kasim Awan any updates?

C.S

This frame from the Euro4 sums it up quite well I feel. Slow moving moderate showers with potential for a couple cm inland locally where showers align nicely maybe Moreacombe bay down to Chorley or Southport / Sefton into EGCC. Note this is not a definitive streamer prediction just some ideas. This plauged by a layer of 1C temps at 400-900ft west of Manchester. So a "mixture" to the coast. 

euro4_uk1-1-20-0 (1).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wow that model thread, how can it be so pessimistic with what is being shown? 
Years have gone where the thread title could have been “the non stop Zonal train” or “The hunt for the 6 hour toppler” ©

People should sit back and relax, at least we are seeing something different this winter.

Edited by Ramp
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Can't see there being any more snow accumulation here tonight. I'm not as confident as I was on Monday night when I woke up to about 5cm the next morning. I think this time I'm going to be too far east. As ever though time will tell. Next week potentially looking even more interesting. 

• Like 1