Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It has snowed here (although not that great but a covering at least) twice this winter and I’ve seen snow Xmas day. That beats the last two winters combined and there looks to be opportunities for further this week.

And that’s not even mentioning what the models have been throwing out

I am more than happy with winter 20/21 so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
11 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

At work mate so cannot enjoy Irish sea is springing into life enjoy

C.S

We still have virtually a full layer of snow/ice on the ground from the past couple of days so hopefully this will help it stick. Proper flakes though and still going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Snow shower has passed now, but suspect we will get one or two more this afternoon judging by the radar. Was probably quite wet snow, and I expect we'll see continued thawing between the showers. Great to see decent snow falling for the third day in a row though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Irish wakening up?

Untitled.thumb.png.3402d3d9be8056a483a4bb83cebdb8a9.png

• Like 1

Posted

This evening and tonight a messy picture, more of a westerly feed and this help a bit of convection to get going over Irish Sea. Apart from the lightest of flurries on Christmas Day still waiting for some snow from this cold spell. We really have drawn the short straw unusually so..

Tomorrow front looks like it could bring a temporary period of snow. No doubt we will have snow when rest of region has none.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Good afternoon all. Slight adjustments to tonight's weather. The trough has shifted circa 80 miles west which has shunted the initial persistent front west & left us in a light westerly flow. Through the early hours this is likely to produce significant shower activity in the region producing a scattered 1-3cm east of the coast. Rain, hail / sleet (30% risk of it being snow) up to coast & sleet wet snow up to the M6 and snow / graupel east of the M6 between 2 and 10am room for adjustments. These showers likely to develop south of Moreacombe bay, develop around St Annes / Liverpool & head into Mcr / Cheshire. Again showers so usual caveats apply, and it's possible these could remain south of Greater Manchester. There is a chance these could become more organized for a time & so locally 3-6cm can't be ruled out east of the A49.

Then interest turns to early hours Friday for a weak front which will turn sleety later on as the snow level rises to 350-400m later Friday. A scattered 1-2cm possible from this atm, this may increase to 3-5cm to the hills in the east if the front backbuilds as per GFS.

Brilliant post. I note that we are under a very light direct westerly flow tonight (until the early hours when the flow goes SW’ly) so I did wonder about showers .

strangely nothing on UKV - normally it would pick up on Irish Sea showers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

Brilliant post. I note that we are under a very light direct westerly flow tonight (until the early hours when the flow goes SW’ly) so I did wonder about showers .

strangely nothing on UKV - normally it would pick up on Irish Sea showers. 

Thanks. Whilst I think they will develop, there are some minor conflicting factors which the UKV seems to be overcooking. Would be unrealistic to ignore this entirely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
49 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Have a look at your forecast on the BBC website probably be gone in an hour but wow probably why the Meto say heaviest of the sleet-snow in the south of the region 

C.S

Haha, it’s already wrong for right now so it can’t be relied on

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
14 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Snow shower has passed now, but suspect we will get one or two more this afternoon judging by the radar. Was probably quite wet snow, and I expect we'll see continued thawing between the showers. Great to see decent snow falling for the third day in a row though.

Thats what we want later snow showers lasting for up to 30 mins at a Time and of course the more frequent the better 

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy ice pellets. Sticking on some surfaces.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Met office says it should be 3c right now yet weve just hit 1.7c today, that'll be the lowest high this winter so far

Edited by Dkeane3
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy sleet ice pellets mixed, 2.5°C.

• Like 3

Posted

Liverpool Airport going for snow showers between 1am and 10am, however Manchester Airport saying rain showers/snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

I think right side of marginal everywhere east of a line: Burscough, Kirkby, Huyton, Aigburth, Bromborough, Hooton. West of that it’s a nowcast.

Wind is  WSW overnight so the Wirral will provide some extra land fetch

That's throwing the Wirral under this bus if I ever saw it  

WSW is the worst wind direction for here in West Wirral 

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

@Dexter

Radar showing heavy showers heading our way

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

Hoping for this to keep going for meScreenshot_20201230_141322.thumb.jpg.607120ff7efd597f5433a596cd4c2f66.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

Hoping for this to keep going for meScreenshot_20201230_141322.thumb.jpg.607120ff7efd597f5433a596cd4c2f66.jpg

I hear ya!

I have a little bit of hope for tonight , definitely keep an eye on the radar. 

• Like 2

Posted

Beefy looking shower just moved over Southport which will pass directly over here shortly. Dodged the showers again today so we'll have to see what it produces. I would imagine a sleety mix at this point. Hoping a streamer sets up behind it though - one Boxing day (can't remember the year) really produced the goods here with a streamer from that direction. 

Posted

Slightly confused with the meto update (for Wales) for this evening and overnight, with "Outbreaks of snow move into the north before dawn."... I thought the area of precip had been shunted much further west? Or is this referring to more organised showers?

Anyone with far more knowledge than I like to clarify? I'm around 5 miles from the border with Cheshire which is why I use the Northwest region chat rather than the Wales region which I find is biased to the South of Wales.

• Like 1

Posted

Llandudno camera

Showers look wintry

WWW.WESTSHOREBEACHCAFE.COM

This North Wales webcam shows views from the West Shore of Llandudno across to Penmaenmawr, Puffin Island, Angelesey and the south west of the Great Orme.

• Like 3