Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Dec 2020 onwards

Posted

This is the current sounding for Harrogate, the inversion is beginning to weaken right now which is why we're beginning to see sleet.

image.thumb.png.04f5a28768f0bf19bd2cae36ba226978.png

As oppossed to further south west (where I am) which has a proper inversion so more rain than sleet even at 400m

image.thumb.png.a340d6a9f4618f19b7097898a22d43af.png

Harrogate by Midday tomorrow showing a collapsed inversion with an adiabatic profile conducive of snow > slow transition from freezing rain & sleet to wet snow during the morning

image.thumb.png.eb4eb5751e19a297ca7bb1545d8ccccb.png

• Like 6
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry guys. My mums still in a really bad way. I just wanted to post to quickly say tonight in my opinin is being underestimated. The trend today has been to keep the front as all snow

Around 50cm has fallen across the highest parts of the North York Moors yesterday. Went for a walk this morning at Newgate Bank. Around 30cm of fresh powdery snow underfoot and quite difficult to

Last one from me, great day...just stopped now so 11 hours of snow 👍👏👏 Hope those that missed out get some soon 🤞👍  

Posted Images

Posted
    1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

This is the current sounding for Harrogate, the inversion is beginning to weaken right now which is why we're beginning to see sleet.

image.thumb.png.04f5a28768f0bf19bd2cae36ba226978.png

As oppossed to further south west (where I am) which has a proper inversion so more rain than sleet even at 400m

image.thumb.png.a340d6a9f4618f19b7097898a22d43af.png

Harrogate by Midday tomorrow showing a collapsed inversion with an adiabatic profile conducive of snow > slow transition from freezing rain & sleet to wet snow during the morning

image.thumb.png.eb4eb5751e19a297ca7bb1545d8ccccb.png

Which is why the apps going via radar is saying freezing rain atm for 4am-8am  👍

• Like 1
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Which is why the apps going via radar is saying freezing rain atm for 4am-8am  👍

Yes for a time over 300m freezing rain will return again as surface temps cool & there is still an inversion above. Remember tomorrow also it can be the same temp at 300m and 100m & only be snowing at 300m as it is closer to the snow line.

Edited by Kasim Awan
    • Like 3
    Posted
    Just now, Kasim Awan said:

I'd say a 50% chance of 2-5cm 25% of nothing 25% of more

lets hope so 🤞🤞

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I'd say a 50% chance of 2-5cm 25% of nothing 25% of more

Great answer.

Posted
    Just now, Had Worse said:

Great answer.

It's how snow forecasts should be mate. Anyone giving a definitive answer isn't considering the uncertainties.

• Like 2
    Posted

Precip accumulations for tomorrow 3pm

EURO4 

image.thumb.png.e3f9962a0237a8103da9b316dfe94caa.png

GFS

image.thumb.png.dd51c8c540c5b05e7eb5a1caf99b7f45.png

ECM

image.thumb.png.0bf425494451f3c67cf9cd0034a104b3.png

ICON

image.thumb.png.0008e2d18ca287b38e478681b838e956.png

APERGE

image.thumb.png.7a86278a09d8bec7b8f9136cf71175cf.png

AROME

image.thumb.png.45eb763a8ec51b765ef8c05d25581d48.png

• Like 2

We are about as high as it gets in West Yorks at Mountain and nothing but rain. Its not cold enough for snow here. Hopefully it changes overnight but its so wet it will need a big change for it to settle now. Its soggy out!!

Posted

Kasim.what would the timing of it turning wintry in Bingley near Bradford? 

Got to travel at 4am. Thanks.

Posted
    33 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

It's how snow forecasts should be mate. Anyone giving a definitive answer isn't considering the uncertainties.

Thoughts on if any amounts at low level will last beyond Friday night or is a thaw nailed on for Saturday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
    2 minutes ago, KLR1269 said:

We are about as high as it gets in West Yorks at Mountain and nothing but rain. Its not cold enough for snow here. Hopefully it changes overnight but its so wet it will need a big change for it to settle now. Its soggy out!!

If snow is heavy enough it'll easily settle on a wet surface. It's the temperature of the surface that's most important.

• Like 1
    Posted

@Kasim Awan @Scott Ingham Hi I’m new here and only posted once as only joined recently, I have followed the forum for many years generally keeping tabs on the modules thread mainly in the winter with the desperation to get a heads up with cold & snow that may be heading our way , I feel the need to express some appreciation to both your positive inputs in there particularly, it’s fantastic we have you both in our regional thread too with your passionate in-depth posts. That goes to many of you in this regional thread, some very knowledgeable folk in here too many too mention but it certainly doesn’t go unnoticed. There must be many more like me who follow the forum solely to read on the latest without giving any input and enjoy reading through daily.
    keep up the good work it’s very much appreciated, let’s hope we can all see some sort of memorable snow at some point this year compared to previous years!!

• Like 7
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If snow is heavy enough it'll easily settle on a wet surface. It's the temperature of the surface that's most important.

If the wet bulb & esp dew point are both freezing or below it will likely settle on anywhere other than pure water which takes longer to cool. It's different if the ground has been warm for a long period of time, or if the precip is very light, but in these heavy precip scenarios in mid winter the ground closely follows the air dew point and temp.

Edited by Kasim Awan
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, joggs said:

Kasim.what would the timing of it turning wintry in Bingley near Bradford? 

Got to travel at 4am. Thanks.

4-10am it will turn so you should be ok imo.

• Thanks 1
    Posted
    15 minutes ago, KLR1269 said:

What height are you at it is snowing in Buxton and I presume it will be snowing in the highest hills around sheffield that go up to 400-500m Asl

Posted

Lets hope this happens like below 😄

Screenshot_20210113-223352_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb4bcc0805bb609de693f53f063e6f3d.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, GyDanSnow said:

@Kasim Awan @Scott Ingham Hi I’m new here and only posted once as only joined recently, I have followed the forum for many years generally keeping tabs on the modules thread mainly in the winter with the desperation to get a heads up with cold & snow that may be heading our way , I feel the need to express some appreciation to both your positive inputs in there particularly, it’s fantastic we have you both in our regional thread too with your passionate in-depth posts. That goes to many of you in this regional thread, some very knowledgeable folk in here too many too mention but it certainly doesn’t go unnoticed. There must be many more like me who follow the forum solely to read on the latest without giving any input and enjoy reading through daily.
    keep up the good work it’s very much appreciated, let’s hope we can all see some sort of memorable snow at some point this year compared to previous years!!

Very nice of you im glad youve enjoyed the input! Please post more often!

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

What height are you at it is snowing in Buxton and I presume it will be snowing in the highest hills around sheffield that go up to 400-500m Asl

Wet sleet at this place which is over 400m: 

shutterstock_312573404-scaled.jpg
    WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/Camsecure/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don’t constantly view the...

Posted
    1 minute ago, Craigers said:

Lets hope this happens like below 😄

Screenshot_20210113-223352_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb4bcc0805bb609de693f53f063e6f3d.jpg

Whats your asl Craigers?

Posted

I'm in Buxton at 400 metres and it's sleety snow producing that pre-covering slushy later when the dew point just hits 0.

Edited by Kasim Awan
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Jock Bingham said:

Wet sleet at this place which is over 400m: 

shutterstock_312573404-scaled.jpg
    WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/Camsecure/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don’t constantly view the...

It is snowing in Buxton and been snowing at winking man for at least 2 hours now.

Posted

This is the first time since the warning the met have changed from sleet to snow on the app. There is momentum building for a larger event on all models now

Screenshot_20210113-231230_Met Office.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted

I'm in Buxton at 400 metres and it's sleety.

Strange when I saw the cam at top end of buxton looked white and seen other reports from people on facebook saying it was snowing.