Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Dec 2020 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton

    This is the current sounding for Harrogate, the inversion is beginning to weaken right now which is why we're beginning to see sleet.

    image.thumb.png.04f5a28768f0bf19bd2cae36ba226978.png

    As oppossed to further south west (where I am) which has a proper inversion so more rain than sleet even at 400m

    image.thumb.png.a340d6a9f4618f19b7097898a22d43af.png

    Harrogate by Midday tomorrow showing a collapsed inversion with an adiabatic profile conducive of snow > slow transition from freezing rain & sleet to wet snow during the morning

    image.thumb.png.eb4eb5751e19a297ca7bb1545d8ccccb.png

     

    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Sorry guys. My mums still in a really bad way. I just wanted to post to quickly say tonight in my opinin is being underestimated. The trend today has been to keep the front as all snow

    Around 50cm has fallen across the highest parts of the North York Moors yesterday. Went for a walk this morning at Newgate Bank. Around 30cm of fresh powdery snow underfoot and quite difficult to

    Last one from me, great day...just stopped now so 11 hours of snow 👍👏👏 Hope those that missed out get some soon 🤞👍  

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
    1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

    This is the current sounding for Harrogate, the inversion is beginning to weaken right now which is why we're beginning to see sleet.

    image.thumb.png.04f5a28768f0bf19bd2cae36ba226978.png

    As oppossed to further south west (where I am) which has a proper inversion so more rain than sleet even at 400m

    image.thumb.png.a340d6a9f4618f19b7097898a22d43af.png

    Harrogate by Midday tomorrow showing a collapsed inversion with an adiabatic profile conducive of snow > slow transition from freezing rain & sleet to wet snow during the morning

    image.thumb.png.eb4eb5751e19a297ca7bb1545d8ccccb.png

     

    Which is why the apps going via radar is saying freezing rain atm for 4am-8am  👍

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton
    4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

    Which is why the apps going via radar is saying freezing rain atm for 4am-8am  👍

    Yes for a time over 300m freezing rain will return again as surface temps cool & there is still an inversion above. Remember tomorrow also it can be the same temp at 300m and 100m & only be snowing at 300m as it is closer to the snow line.

    Edited by Kasim Awan
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Armthorpe (South Yorkshire)
  • Location: Armthorpe (South Yorkshire)
    Just now, Kasim Awan said:

    I'd say a 50% chance of 2-5cm 25% of nothing 25% of more

    lets hope so 🤞🤞

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
    Just now, Kasim Awan said:

    I'd say a 50% chance of 2-5cm 25% of nothing 25% of more

    Great answer.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton
    Just now, Had Worse said:

    Great answer.

    It's how snow forecasts should be mate. Anyone giving a definitive answer isn't considering the uncertainties.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, 110m
  • Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, 110m

    Precip accumulations for tomorrow 3pm

    EURO4 

    image.thumb.png.e3f9962a0237a8103da9b316dfe94caa.png

    GFS

    image.thumb.png.dd51c8c540c5b05e7eb5a1caf99b7f45.png

    ECM

    image.thumb.png.0bf425494451f3c67cf9cd0034a104b3.png

    ICON

    image.thumb.png.0008e2d18ca287b38e478681b838e956.png

    APERGE

    image.thumb.png.7a86278a09d8bec7b8f9136cf71175cf.png

    AROME

    image.thumb.png.45eb763a8ec51b765ef8c05d25581d48.png

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    We are about as high as it gets in West Yorks at Mountain and nothing but rain. Its not cold enough for snow here. Hopefully it changes overnight but its so wet it will need a big change for it to settle now. Its soggy out!!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bingley,west yorks.81 absl
  • Location: bingley,west yorks.81 absl

    Kasim.what would the timing of it turning wintry in Bingley near Bradford? 

    Got to travel at 4am. Thanks.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: God’s country
  • Location: God’s country
    33 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

    It's how snow forecasts should be mate. Anyone giving a definitive answer isn't considering the uncertainties.

    Thoughts on if any amounts at low level will last beyond Friday night or is a thaw nailed on for Saturday?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
  • Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    2 minutes ago, KLR1269 said:

    We are about as high as it gets in West Yorks at Mountain and nothing but rain. Its not cold enough for snow here. Hopefully it changes overnight but its so wet it will need a big change for it to settle now. Its soggy out!!

    If snow is heavy enough it'll easily settle on a wet surface. It's the temperature of the surface that's most important.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Laceby (Grimsby)
  • Location: Laceby (Grimsby)

    @Kasim Awan @Scott Ingham Hi I’m new here and only posted once as only joined recently, I have followed the forum for many years generally keeping tabs on the modules thread mainly in the winter with the desperation to get a heads up with cold & snow that may be heading our way , I feel the need to express some appreciation to both your positive inputs in there particularly, it’s fantastic we have you both in our regional thread too with your passionate in-depth posts. That goes to many of you in this regional thread, some very knowledgeable folk in here too many too mention but it certainly doesn’t go unnoticed. There must be many more like me who follow the forum solely to read on the latest without giving any input and enjoy reading through daily.
    keep up the good work it’s very much appreciated, let’s hope we can all see some sort of memorable snow at some point this year compared to previous years!!

     

    • Like 7
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton
    8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

    If snow is heavy enough it'll easily settle on a wet surface. It's the temperature of the surface that's most important.

    If the wet bulb & esp dew point are both freezing or below it will likely settle on anywhere other than pure water which takes longer to cool. It's different if the ground has been warm for a long period of time, or if the precip is very light, but in these heavy precip scenarios in mid winter the ground closely follows the air dew point and temp.

    Edited by Kasim Awan
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton
    11 minutes ago, joggs said:

    Kasim.what would the timing of it turning wintry in Bingley near Bradford? 

    Got to travel at 4am. Thanks.

    4-10am it will turn so you should be ok imo.

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
    15 minutes ago, KLR1269 said:

    We are about as high as it gets in West Yorks at Mountain and nothing but rain. Its not cold enough for snow here. Hopefully it changes overnight but its so wet it will need a big change for it to settle now. Its soggy out!!

    What height are you at it is snowing in Buxton and I presume it will be snowing in the highest hills around sheffield that go up to 400-500m Asl

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL

    Lets hope this happens like below 😄

    Screenshot_20210113-223352_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb4bcc0805bb609de693f53f063e6f3d.jpg

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    11 minutes ago, GyDanSnow said:

    @Kasim Awan @Scott Ingham Hi I’m new here and only posted once as only joined recently, I have followed the forum for many years generally keeping tabs on the modules thread mainly in the winter with the desperation to get a heads up with cold & snow that may be heading our way , I feel the need to express some appreciation to both your positive inputs in there particularly, it’s fantastic we have you both in our regional thread too with your passionate in-depth posts. That goes to many of you in this regional thread, some very knowledgeable folk in here too many too mention but it certainly doesn’t go unnoticed. There must be many more like me who follow the forum solely to read on the latest without giving any input and enjoy reading through daily.
    keep up the good work it’s very much appreciated, let’s hope we can all see some sort of memorable snow at some point this year compared to previous years!!

     

    Very nice of you im glad youve enjoyed the input! Please post more often!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: God’s country
  • Location: God’s country
    3 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

    What height are you at it is snowing in Buxton and I presume it will be snowing in the highest hills around sheffield that go up to 400-500m Asl

    Wet sleet at this place which is over 400m: 

    shutterstock_312573404-scaled.jpg
    WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

    Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/Camsecure/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don’t constantly view the...

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    1 minute ago, Craigers said:

    Lets hope this happens like below 😄

    Screenshot_20210113-223352_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb4bcc0805bb609de693f53f063e6f3d.jpg

    Whats your asl Craigers?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Buxton
  • Location: Buxton

    I'm in Buxton at 400 metres and it's sleety snow producing that pre-covering slushy later when the dew point just hits 0.

    Edited by Kasim Awan
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
    1 minute ago, Jock Bingham said:

    Wet sleet at this place which is over 400m: 

    shutterstock_312573404-scaled.jpg
    WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

    Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/Camsecure/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don’t constantly view the...

     

    It is snowing in Buxton and been snowing at winking man for at least 2 hours now.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene

    This is the first time since the warning the met have changed from sleet to snow on the app. There is momentum building for a larger event on all models now

    Screenshot_20210113-231230_Met Office.jpg

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
  • Location: bramall lane the only place to be !!!!!!!
    Just now, Kasim Awan said:

    I'm in Buxton at 400 metres and it's sleety.

    Strange when I saw the cam at top end of buxton looked white and seen other reports from people on facebook saying it was snowing.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...