Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Dec 2020 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Cookridge, NW Leeds 190m asl
  • Location: Cookridge, NW Leeds 190m asl

    For me here in NW Leeds at 190masl it has been an ok cold spell so far, quite typical of what we experience most years.   Still have 2cm snow cover on the grass and a mix of ice, snow and bare patches on roofs, pavements and the side road.   Looks very wintry indeed outside and yesterday was very pleasing with no thaw at all and high of just 0.7c. Today may be similar . Unfotunutely will likely thaw tonight/tomorrow before the next batch of colder weather 

    Can't really get that excited about the Sunday to Tuesday easterly though, so marginal.  With pressure of 1025mb and a strong easterly wind i think we need -8c at 850hpa level as a minimum, need some upgrades.

    Edited by Tim A
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Sorry guys. My mums still in a really bad way. I just wanted to post to quickly say tonight in my opinin is being underestimated. The trend today has been to keep the front as all snow

    Last one from me, great day...just stopped now so 11 hours of snow 👍👏👏 Hope those that missed out get some soon 🤞👍  

    Around 50cm has fallen across the highest parts of the North York Moors yesterday. Went for a walk this morning at Newgate Bank. Around 30cm of fresh powdery snow underfoot and quite difficult to

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)
    19 minutes ago, Danns said:


    Hi all, Long term lurker, but decided to jump on board this year as feels and certainly looks different in terms of the outputs from the models so couldn’t resist. Thanks for everyone’s contribution still learning and some of the learning that I have done is down to you guys. Ta Very much! 

    Just on the above, I too can not trust these forecasted temps last night is a prime example according to forecast should have been -1 it is currently -4.2 with a dewpoint of -5.4. Not what I expected.

    Off the back of this I a have question, how does this effect the models? In 2 hours time the temperature in my locale should be 3 degrees, now, for my learning eyes that’s quite a temperature swing in a very short amount of time. The forecast also suggests a rain shower during this time period those figures don’t look marginal and I’m yet to see any background signs that will help push these temperatures up so quickly. So if precipitation falls as snow when a model has predicted rain how does this effect surface temperatures, dew-points, cooling/warming and any other background signals? I know this has happened already  across different regions so is something I would like to look into in relation to the accuracy of model output. Thanks again!

    Hi mate and welcome.

    I'm certainly not qualified to answer that question in any real depth lol but my opinion is that a recorded temperature of about 2/3c colder one day or more shouldn't really affect the synoptics too much, apart from maybe deeper cold pooling if we had temperatures close to freezing.. Obviously that COULD have a knock o later down the line with our locked in cold pool being tougher to shift as milder air try's to push in. 

    The biggest benefit of having much colder temperatures than forecast in a set-up like this is as I've alluded to in a post above:

    *colder temps could prime the ground for marginal events in the future, tipping in our balance a marginal event, making it become a good snow event / or freezing rain event (I like them as a postman gives me more chance of getting day off with pay as too unsafe to deliver lol..) as ground/soil temps are lowered.  

    *With the colder temps, showers coming in have higher chance of being snow, but say at night time shouldn't have too much of an effect as temperatures rise as showers come in anyway.. 

    Hope that is of help, I'm sure though someone with greater technical knowledge can chip in. 

    Edited by Harsh Climate
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
    28 minutes ago, Danns said:


    Hi all, Long term lurker, but decided to jump on board this year as feels and certainly looks different in terms of the outputs from the models so couldn’t resist. Thanks for everyone’s contribution still learning and some of the learning that I have done is down to you guys. Ta Very much! 

    Just on the above, I too can not trust these forecasted temps last night is a prime example according to forecast should have been -1 it is currently -4.2 with a dewpoint of -5.4. Not what I expected.

    Off the back of this I a have question, how does this effect the models? In 2 hours time the temperature in my locale should be 3 degrees, now, for my learning eyes that’s quite a temperature swing in a very short amount of time. The forecast also suggests a rain shower during this time period those figures don’t look marginal and I’m yet to see any background signs that will help push these temperatures up so quickly. So if precipitation falls as snow when a model has predicted rain how does this effect surface temperatures, dew-points, cooling/warming and any other background signals? I know this has happened already  across different regions so is something I would like to look into in relation to the accuracy of model output. Thanks again!

    Hi Danns , welcome.

    Alex Deakin explains it well in the above clip. There is warm air close to the occluded front that drifts down from the North this evening . Therefore despite the very cold starting surface temps ( -3 her now at 9 o clock not , 0 as the Met O app states ) it is a very marginal situation and is likely to be rain / sleet unless you have altitude above 200m or more. 

    regards JS

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL

    Still pretty cold now this late in the morning. Been some time seeing temps like this in South Yorkshire. Min temp of -3.5c

    20201231_093921.thumb.jpg.55bef4de4210cf4e966bed1c0350e75f.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Louth, Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
  • Location: Louth, Lincolnshire

    It got down to a vaguely nippy -3 here last night, probably a degree colder out in the sticks as opposed to town, which has led to a nice frost on the roofs this morning. Not much excitement for us in the lowland east of the patch over the next few days - certainly the imminent easterly looks drab unless you're well away from the sea and on a hill. I'm starting to think that working above the Arctic Circle has ruined British winters for me.

    Edited by Just Before Dawn
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl
  • Location: North Newbald , East Riding of Yorkshire 139 f asl

    Still - 2.7 c at 10.00 this morning. Heavy frost and bitter out there with lots of ice

    4568FFFC-EE0E-41ED-A7F5-989C2D6204CC.png

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North West Leeds 124m
  • Location: North West Leeds 124m
    8 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

    I'd take that tad and wager that the pennine foothills may be slightly better from an imby point of view.

    Leeds Bradford Airport is 208m above sea level though so probably one of the highest points in Leeds.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

    Annoyingly I can see the snow showers to the west.

    Even more annoyingly the prec tonight dies before it gets to us.  ECM still cold for the foreseeable GFS just coming out but still looking overall on the cold side.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bramley, Rotherham - 114M ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
  • Location: Bramley, Rotherham - 114M ASL

    Lovely and cold still out there. Got down to -4.1 here last night. Coldest night in a long time here

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)
  • Location: Otley(Leeds)

    Well I think the GFs 6z is a big upgrade regarding the easterly for Yorkshire. 36-48 hour window monday ~ tuesday upers of -7 with occasional -8. Would just tip the balance in our favour with some decent accumulations! Yes milder uppers on te way wednesday but would only be short lived.

    GFSOPUK06_96_2.png

    GFSOPUK06_132_2.png

    • Like 5
    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Kirkburton, Huddersfield - 162.5mtrs asl
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
  • Location: Kirkburton, Huddersfield - 162.5mtrs asl

    image.thumb.png.7ed2111842dc340b6fb5028d7c774df6.png

    They'll do for me

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Malton, North Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
  • Location: Malton, North Yorkshire
    1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

    Well I think the GFs 6z is a big upgrade regarding the easterly for Yorkshire. 36-48 hour window monday ~ tuesday upers of -7 with occasional -8. Would just tip the balance in our favour with some decent accumulations! Yes milder uppers on te way wednesday but would only be short lived.

    GFSOPUK06_96_2.png

    GFSOPUK06_132_2.png

    I still think with the wind direction, air source and SSTs we’d need -8c uppers or below for anywhere near the coast, -7c probably won’t do it. Ok for areas well inland and over hills though, if any precip makes it that far. 

    UKV highlights this for Monday evening:

    266DE976-6BC2-453E-95C3-EEEAC2726FA9.jpeg

    Edited by Cold Winter
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    4 hours ago, Tim A said:

    For me here in NW Leeds at 190masl it has been an ok cold spell so far, quite typical of what we experience most years.   Still have 2cm snow cover on the grass and a mix of ice, snow and bare patches on roofs, pavements and the side road.   Looks very wintry indeed outside and yesterday was very pleasing with no thaw at all and high of just 0.7c. Today may be similar . Unfotunutely will likely thaw tonight/tomorrow before the next batch of colder weather 

    Can't really get that excited about the Sunday to Tuesday easterly though, so marginal.  With pressure of 1025mb and a strong easterly wind i think we need -8c at 850hpa level as a minimum, need some upgrades.

    Agreed, it’s been an ‘average’ cold spell - what you’d expect most years. Snow cover persists in shaded areas, several nights in a row below freezing (-4C this morning), highs of 2-3C, daily means just below freezing.

    Edited by cheese
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
  • Location: South Yorkshire Barnsley 66m ASL
    2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

    for  us not in the know what does it say 😛

    The mean stays below -5c uppers so very nice gfs 6z if you want to keep the cold !!!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near hubberton, 240m
  • Location: Near hubberton, 240m

    Still some snow cover on the Pennines near to Sowerby Bridge & Ripponden. A group of us just did a 20mile fell run over the moors up to Haworth, much more snow up on the moors...really beautiful. Had an unexpected snow shower in and amongst the sun and fog. Perfect snow conditions above 300m, especially so up above 375m, no melt at all. The moors are the place to go in the coming days for your snow fix, it won't really melt up there now until something significantly milder comes along. Hopefully a lot more snow on it's way! I've been on here for many years, come back each winter...I'm used to the disappointment of model watching now, to take nothing as gospel until it's 24/48hrs away.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
    14 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

    Everytime something good shows in model thread its always 10+ days away don't know why they bother by time it gets nearer its wattered down!

    Yeh I always like the cold spell is nailed on and then they show a T240 chart which then promptly disappear the next run followed by the toys out of the pram. The trend is still for cold weather.

    It's a fairly feeble cold spell and far from a classic but better then a kick in gonads. It may yet turn into a classic.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Barnsley 125asl
  • Location: Barnsley 125asl
    24 minutes ago, The PIT said:

    Yeh I always like the cold spell is nailed on and then they show a T240 chart which then promptly disappear the next run followed by the toys out of the pram. The trend is still for cold weather.

    It's a fairly feeble cold spell and far from a classic but better then a kick in gonads. It may yet turn into a classic.

    I guess it's alot better than we had last year so can't grumble too much! still all to play for!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

    Colder than last night here at the moment. Only got -1 to beat though.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Malton, North Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
  • Location: Malton, North Yorkshire

    Latest runs are a bit better for us for Monday/Tuesday. T850 temps down to -8c on Tuesday, UKMO output is best in this regard. Should be enough to see some falling snow in any showers. Pressure fairly high though by this point so would imagine shower activity would be weakening a bit. Either way - I’m a bit more optimistic than I was this morning... think I woke up in a bad mood! 🤣

    Temp here now is -0.7c already. Had a nice walk down by the river earlier. Areas that had flooded were still frozen over with thick sheets of ice. Can’t complain at that. Great winter’s day.

    A64DF427-FBF1-46AB-8449-40433F3F99D7.jpeg

    3AF19024-48E7-4F5F-9192-2819D76D5A00.jpeg

    D12582C8-5B57-468C-AD26-286C3804B185.jpeg

    C2FDC4CE-BF3A-42DA-ABAC-3FBB5BD81E92.jpeg

    253BDAF6-3A78-439B-AA72-F841D66D61B3.jpeg

    9731CACC-312F-4859-BF55-5C8EEFBB0491.jpeg

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bingley,west yorks.81 absl
  • Location: bingley,west yorks.81 absl

    -1 here in Bingley, west yorks. Thick fog also. Top temp of 1.5 here today.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Leeds Bradford Airport
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny in Summer, Cold & Frosty in Winter, Thunderstorms
  • Location: Near Leeds Bradford Airport

    Barely has got above 1C for the last 3 days here, ice and snow still on the ground. Freezing fog today after a sunny start, definitely the coldest it has felt for at least 2 years 

    Edited by Summer18
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bramley, Rotherham - 114M ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
  • Location: Bramley, Rotherham - 114M ASL

    Still a chance we'll see something tonight. Depends how well it holds together on its way down....

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Cold waves hitting Europe continue to threaten growers, is there a link to climate change?

      Much of Europe, not just the UK, has experienced unseasonably cold weather since the Easter Weekend. A plunge of cold arctic air brought by northerly winds early last week brought several nights of frost and even snow across large swathes of Europe, followed by another wave of cold arctic air spreads across much of Europe this week. The frosts causing damage to new growth in vineyards and orchardsa0spurred on by a late March heatwave, the vineyards of France werea0particularly badly affected.

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 4

      High pressure rules, but still chilly out the sun & watch out for a few showers

      High pressure in charge for the rest of the week but the airmass will be chilly, so feeling nippy out of the sun. Not entirely dry either, with scattered showers around the next few days, especially in the west. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      You'll need your coat because it's still cold out of the sun

      More April snow for Monday morning with a widespread frost. If you have outdoor plans this week, the chill in the air remains especially once the sun goes down. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...