Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Fridays snow back on the GFS!

Thoughts?

The run shows 10+ hours of heavy snow

Screenshot_20210105-035221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Believe it when I see it never known anything like the last week it has literally been between 0 and 3c last week or so and we have only had 1 real dusting and it bloody melted within a few hours

• Like 1

Posted

Another sleety shower at 04.30 but no intensity ( and moving through too fast )

The main band of showers ( “ stream “ of sorts ) is much further North and not delivering snow there either yet.

another bust for East Yorkshire sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just driven from Garforth to work at Cleckheaton, wet snow on and off throughout, best around Birstall but no settling. Started as rain at home before turning to this as I left. Looks like that's it, the streamer appears to be setting up shop well to the north after this mini band crossing west Yorkshire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

What a let down this has been. Yet again going around in circles going forward. Everything getting back and back. Hopefully before mid February something transpires

• Like 2

Posted

Snow showers on and off through the night up here, the snow line seems to be about 200m as of yesterday afternoon. Only a light covering as most of the showers weren't heavy.

We went walking on the moors above Hebden Bridge yesterday, snow laying above about 275m (Pecket well upwards) with significant melt on sunnier slopes. Above 360m the snow hasn't melted and cover is reasonably deep considering how most of what has fallen has been from shower activity. Some drifiting on the tops of the moors, 400m upwards with what looks like a significant depth of snow above 450m on the higher fells around those parts such as Lad Law (517m)

• Like 1

Posted

So much for the 850 temp delivering

Another bust. Looks dodgy going forward next 9 days because day 10 has potential lol. Gonna take a few days off now and hopefully come back to some charts that show day 7 potential lol. Goodluck everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

The best I can do is a slushy deposit on the car windscreen. Approaching 3 years since any considerable settling snowfall here in rural North Yorkshire. Lets hope that changes before winters out!

• Like 1

Posted

This has upgraded slightly!

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Bitterly cold with overnight frosts as winds ease. Mainly dry on Thursday, then sleet and snow later. Sunny spells and coastal wintry showers on Friday and again on Saturday.

Posted

Very disappointing again overnight !

Fri looks to be our next chance ( although it is a decaying front ) moving South.

It will probably run out of steam as it approaches Yorkshire. ( i'm getting a bit weary of this chase now )

spacer.pngAperge 0z Fri 8th

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
11 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Fri looks to be our next chance ( although it is a decaying front ) moving South.

It will probably run out of steam as it approaches Yorkshire. ( i'm getting a bit weary of this chase now )

Yep, easily been the worst “cold spell” I can remember for a while. An easterly in January giving us cold rain/sleet...  as @vizzy2004 said, no settling snow of any significance here since March 2018. 

I’m giving up on the snow hunt for a bit until we know what the effects of the SSW will be later in the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

My side of the Wolds has snowcover this morning James.33C94CD3-59A3-4F1B-8C16-B42E7E2146F3.thumb.jpeg.7babbbadd8b9634916f351ef85404d35.jpeg

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like a good time for a break from the models after Friday. A frustrating spell really as the synoptics have been much better than the last couple of winters. I was expecting a streamer to at least deliver somewhere last night but just on the wrong side of the marginality all round it seems

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Currently under a graupel shower in hull. At least it’s something frozen. 

Posted

This spell was always expected to be marginal though. Many were talking of uppers not being cold enough.

Although this is too simplistic, as uppers are not the best guide to snow given the 850 temp level when pressure is 975mb(last week) and 1026mb (this week) is nearly 1500ft different. But at the end of the day the air mass was not cold enough.

We have a dusting on some surfaces from last night only, bit disappointing the showers didn't get going properly. Less than yesterday morning.   All in all it has been a standard winter cold spell , transient wet snowfalls and a few days with proper snow cover. At least there has been some snow to look at here for a week now.  

Posted
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

My side of the Wolds has snowcover this morning James.33C94CD3-59A3-4F1B-8C16-B42E7E2146F3.thumb.jpeg.7babbbadd8b9634916f351ef85404d35.jpeg

Thanks Andy , i might cycle up to Fridaythorpe later , it will be a bit dicey and a long haul , but probably worth it  , James 

Posted

Some hefty looking showers coming in off the North sea now. 

Posted

There's still the dangling carrot of that front moving down on Thursday/Friday just to drag this trauma out a bit longer!

• Like 1