Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
1 minute ago, fazzafarrand said:

More showers coming on shore over the last hour or so hoping the start changing from blue to green to full on pink on the net weather radar

Fingers crossed  

Posted
3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Thursday night and Friday now looking very interesting might have some to actually measure in the morning. As for the dew points is it because the north sea is warmer than normal?

Could be but uppers are dropping to around - 8 now and the dew temperatures are now dropping, even on the NE coast itself. 

I think thicknesses not being particularly low is also caused the higher dew temperatures also, its a reason why convection is quite shallow at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Heavy snow shower also just passed through north leeds 145m

Posted

I dont want to get ahead of myself as we always get let dwn but as others have mentioned thurs night shows 7-9hours heavy snow over our region!

Been a member on here for over 10years after my love and affection of weather but never commented nuch recently. Worked with p.hudson about 8 years ago and a studied open degree in meteorology.

• Like 2

Posted

I have loved some of the messages on here recently. A proper good group of us we have!!

I even rang the MO on saturday telling them how poor n late they were with their warnings (advisories) but did say i didnt mind as i love snow!! Was a good convo. They told me that their guidance showed nothing but rain n sleet this week hence poor advisories

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
31 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Thursday night and Friday now looking very interesting might have some to actually measure in the morning. As for the dew points is it because the north sea is warmer than normal?

Partly because the air doesn’t originate from Siberia as is usual for a proper BFTE. I heard theirs a warm layer aloft too, metoffice site mentioned freezing rain earlier which backs that up too. 

Posted

Alternating here between rain sleet n snow. But didnt half come dwn with snow earlier for about a minute.

Posted

Still have patches of snow n ice here. Yet such low uppers the dewpoints are really corrupting this. Its strange becsuse off the continent normally low dp's. I dont think it has anything to do with the north sea. Its simply the lack of coke to the east hence more modification. Crikey 29years ago a different situation!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Steadily dropping away here now with some graupel and sleet showers.

Temp: 2.2c

Dew: 1.5c

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow upon snow upon SNOW!!!
22 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

I dont want to get ahead of myself as we always get let dwn but as others have mentioned thurs night shows 7-9hours heavy snow over our region!

Been a member on here for over 10years after my love and affection of weather but never commented nuch recently. Worked with p.hudson about 8 years ago and a studied open degree in meteorology.

Hi Adam hope your well ??
if you don’t mind me asking what are you watching that shows the 7-9hrs of snow fall over our region? I’m based up near Pateley Bridge and would love a good dump of snow ??????
building my tabs up of stuff to watch hence why I’m asking ??

ta!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
29 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

Still have patches of snow n ice here. Yet such low uppers the dewpoints are really corrupting this. Its strange becsuse off the continent normally low dp's. I dont think it has anything to do with the north sea. Its simply the lack of coke to the east hence more modification. Crikey 29years ago a different situation!

Lack of coke!!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Winter Cold said:

Anyone know why the dew points are so high this time?

I thought we always look for easterlies because they are better for snow, requiring less low 850s and normally have low Dews.

Annoying if we're going to be scuppered this time!

Follow the isobars back right to the very end they origiñate from the med. Normally they would origijate from russia

Posted

Evening all, hope you are all keeping well and COVID free. I am still waiting to see my first snow flake of the winter! Reading the mad thread it certainly doesn’t sound good for any country wide dumping of the white stuff. Would be nice if it snowed, especially if Boris locks us down this evening. I am more partial to summer and long warm evenings sitting outside......but prefer the snow to these dark horrible rainy days... it really doesn’t seem like a great start to 2021... thank heaven for sites like this, I enjoy the banter and of course the weather predictions. Has sausage posted this year? God that guy was so funny he made me chuckle to the point of crying at my screen. Stay safe, keep smiling and of course keep posting it passes the boredom. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
2 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

This easterly is ultimately sourced from the Mediterranean not siberia so we aren't tapping into those really cold -13 uppers that you would get with a potent easterly. 

Spot on with this, with winds coming from East folks are automatically thinking it should be snow and not rain. 

Doesn't always work like that, same with winds from North, the air can come around top of high pressure to West of  us sometimes bringing milder conditions. 

Posted

Every shower getting more and more wintry now. Hoping for all snow here by 10pm, getting it to settle will be the hard part though as showers are rattling through very quick and aren’t packing much punch.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Every shower getting more and more wintry now. Hoping for all snow here by 10pm, getting it to settle will be the hard part though as showers are rattling through very quick and aren’t packing much punch.

yes agreed Andy ( just been on top of the Wolds 25 mins ago ) and had a heavy sleet shower with hail mixed in.  Give it another 5 -6 hours and a drop in temp and we could be in business. ( especially if we pick up one of those streamers in the early hours )

temp now 2.1 c  , dew 1.4 c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well the streamer went awol lol

Screenshot_20210104_193310.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Sleet in a shower just now, which is promising. 85m asl east of Leeds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Oh now that's interesting. Wasn't showing that a few hours ago! 2116836508_Screenshot_20210104-194139_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.030410084e6cc4635bc2948449a18e62.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
9 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Well the streamer went awol lol

Screenshot_20210104_193310.jpg

The only thing streaming tonight is my nose!!!! And still got better 850s and dew points than this easterly

Edited by swfc

Posted

26 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

yes agreed Andy ( just been on top of the Wolds 25 mins ago ) and had a heavy sleet shower with hail mixed in.  Give it another 5 -6 hours and a drop in temp and we could be in business. ( especially if we pick up one of those streamers in the early hours )

temp now 2.1 c  , dew 1.4 c

Thixendale Grange at 214m asl now 0.6c with 0.2c dew.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Radar says we are having showers but it's dry.