Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Just watched today’s BBC forecast and it’s looking very dry for all after tomorrow and they mentioned a warm up towards the end of the week.  Fingers crossed we get some decent snow cover tomorrow but can’t help feeling disappointed after talk of 30-40cms possible.  Just goes to show that the pros know more than we do, as you would expect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Thanks to @Paul this has proven my thoughts. This has trended a tad north too with this mornings updates.

Screenshot_20210207-142219_Gallery.thumb.jpg.cd11711298c13fcedb27bed39589e06c.jpg

Interesting given all the other model seem to have shifted it south.  I’ve only just had time to review all the models (I was on Sunday dinner duty today! ), but for me this stands out on it’s own with it’s slight northerly adjustment.  Euro4, GEM, Arpege all shifted it south slightly.  My punt yesterday was that Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield would be the sweet spot and I still think that will be the case although maybe even a touch south of that.  12z now running so let’s see what they give us.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, super_claret said:

Just watched today’s BBC forecast and it’s looking very dry for all after tomorrow and they mentioned a warm up towards the end of the week.  Fingers crossed we get some decent snow cover tomorrow but can’t help feeling disappointed after talk of 30-40cms possible.  Just goes to show that the pros know more than we do, as you would expect.

i do feel this has been very hyped up, apart from the s/e i dont think we are going to see much snow at all, still, on the plus side there should be no issues keeping the vaccine roll out going

Posted

Monday:

Further wintry showers will give snow accumulations to all levels. Feeling very cold in the strong easterly winds. Daytime temperatures near freezing, then a hard frost overnight with icy conditions. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Wintry showers will continue, leading to further snow accumulations and icy stretches. Remaining bitterly cold in fresh or strong winds. Some winter sunshine between showers. Hard or severe overnight frosts.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Sun 7 Feb 2021

Posted
1 minute ago, SouthYorks said:

Interesting given all the other model seem to have shifted it south.  I’ve only just had time to review all the models (I was on Sunday dinner duty today! ), but for me this stands out on it’s own with it’s slight northerly adjustment.  Euro4, GEM, Arpege all shifted it south slightly.  My punt yesterday was that Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield would be the sweet spot and I still think that will be the case although maybe even a touch south of that.  12z now running so let’s see what they give us.

cough barnsley too

Posted
4 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

my son has just said that if we do get enough snow and they would have closed the school can he have a snowday off homeschooling, nice try son, lol.

To be fair fabulous memories are made during epic snow events. I say just do it and be a cool mum or dad they will thank you for it in the long run. Must be so lonely and difficult having all your lessons away from your friends. These kids will carry the COVID scars for a long time. How about a compromise and make up the work on another day otherwise you will be stuck inside with them and missing out in all the fun yourself. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

cough barnsley too

My gut feeling from todays runs is that we will probably get around 10cm, putting us just north of the highest totals.  Of course, 10cm not to be sneezed at given the last few years!  All still to play for and likely the streamer will waver about more than obvious from the model output, so we may see more in Barnsley than I’m currently suggesting.  Here is hoping!

• Like 3

Posted

From a walk going up Dog Hill which is above the Ryburn and Baitings dams with the M62 on the other side. We turned back today actually, the drifting had filled the paths in and the weather looked like it was coming in...even though it didn't.

Impressive drifting from the snow last night.

image_50336257.JPG

image_67119105.JPG

image_67130113.JPG

image_67147009.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Can someone predict a streamer for Leeds please, I think I'll cry if we miss out  

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Paul Hudson with the banter 

Was an Amber warning issued!?!?!? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

I'm loving the netweather forecast on here 

Sod the rest lol 

How do people find the netweather as good (bad) as others? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Anyone a bit cleverer than me know what the situation is tomorrow regarding instability etc?  I have seen talk of convergence zones and I wondered what the chances are of sferics etc?  Or is it not going to be that type of setup?

That fax chart for tomorrow certainly looks promising for South and West Yorkshire etc ?

Edited by Kentish Snowman in Yorks
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

To be fair fabulous memories are made during epic snow events. I say just do it and be a cool mum or dad they will thank you for it in the long run. Must be so lonely and difficult having all your lessons away from your friends. These kids will carry the COVID scars for a long time. How about a compromise and make up the work on another day otherwise you will be stuck inside with them and missing out in all the fun yourself. 

i would certainly make sure that if there is enough snow to go out and have fun in my son and i would go outside, cant beat father and son time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Snow showers look far heavier now to East of Scotland and beginning to look a little more threatening to East of NE England on radar.

Also a Wash streamer of light Snow appearing. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

i would certainly make sure that if there is enough snow to go out and have fun in my son and i would go outside, cant beat father and son time.

They do grow up rather quick that’s for sure. Hope you get to go out and make a snowman or two 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

oh go on then if you really want too lol

@Craigers symbol upgrade since this morning

dfdfdfd.thumb.JPG.a0eabacfca9283e80ac8e7206c47d481.JPG

Haha that was a fluke

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

image.thumb.png.61605f64f0d8e95872dce950a0762fae.png

The heaviest radar returns are along the large showers heading into NE Scotland: these have moved a bit South in the last couple of hours. Down here you can still see the remains of the cloud shield from the depression but this is beginning to move away East and now you can see the streamers better. They are not as strong as the brute coming into Moray, however, they are pronounced and the one coming in towards Flamborough seems to have some pep (cloud height) to it, some 50 miles off shore.

Interesting to see how this develops....

Credit: Netweather Radar v.8 (vis radar overlay)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Once this dross clears you can see streamers of the Norwegian coast, the low in the benelux countries should pull away (hopefully) east, love watching  how things develop, chill out n relax, if you get lucky in one of the streamers enjoy

Screenshot_20210207-152833_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

That stream 

10 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

The heaviest radar returns are along the large showers heading into NE Scotland: these have moved a bit South in the last couple of hours. Down here you can still see the remains of the cloud shield from the depression but this is beginning to move away East and now you can see the streamers better. They are not as strong as the brute coming into Moray, however, they are pronounced and the one coming in towards Flamborough seems to have some pep (cloud height) to it, some 50 miles off shore.

That stream going towards flamborough looks to be heading direction of Leeds. Can see what you mean looks like a pep of organised showers going into flamborough.

Edited by Snowjokes92

Posted
7 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

And can be clearly seen here as well on the radar 

Screenshot_20210207-154005_Netweather Radar.jpg