Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
2 minutes ago, John90 said:

Its going to be a slow burn isn't it? Note the heavy showers forming out in the north sea for a bit later on though. 

That it is but I am sure the N Sea will finally pay us its dues this winter: it's overdue!

A nice A380 over the tC in your avatar :-)

Posted
17 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

Temps down to 4.0c East Hull ?️❄️

Heaters are ready to be lit in the greenhouses. Don’t want any Mediterranean plants to freeze. Although we have had rain today I was expecting it to be much heavier. Hope it’s not blowing over our heads like 2018! 

Posted
8 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Yeah a breakdown was possible by Thursday. I'm no expert it's just from experience a 1056mb is impressive and generally stubborn to be pushed away easily....

I'm not the most knowledgeable poster

But have 30 years of chart viewing under my belt. 

Enjoy your XC60. 

I've just put 4 Continental winter tyres on mine for extra grip and fun they make a massive difference imo.

And reduce the risk of my Air bags popping out  . 

I’ve had the Michelin allweathers on mine for a couple of years now with living up here and they make a remarkable difference Don’t stop you from getting stuck behind idiots who can’t drive in snow though

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

No movement in dew points over East Anglia yet however the next very heavy batch over Lincolnshire for south/west Yorkshire may do some damage given temperatures are mostly 2-4C already before that pushes stuff down.

Yep, we deffo need those DPs to drop to encourage convection off the sea and get stuff falling turning to snow. It will happen, it's just a matter of when.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Yeah a breakdown was possible by Thursday. I'm no expert it's just from experience a 1056mb is impressive and generally stubborn to be pushed away easily....

I'm not the most knowledgeable poster

But have 30 years of chart viewing under my belt. 

Enjoy your XC60. 

I've just put 4 Continental winter tyres on mine for extra grip and fun they make a massive difference imo.

And reduce the risk of my Air bags popping out  . 

You are quite right re the difficulty to shift such a big area of high pressure.  It’s been seen many times that high pressure to the East always hangs on much longer than the models, particularly the GFS, predict.  Let’s hope it’s going to be the case again!

My XC60 is a personal lease vehicle, so not so easy to get winter tyres arranged and to be honest I probably couldn’t justify the expense given we live on the outskirts of a town rather than rural with lots of elevation.  It has Continental All  Season tyres, which are supposed to be reasonable in all weathers, but clearly won’t match up to true winter tyres.  It did ok in the snow in January when we had about 4 inch and everyone else was getting stuck, I got up and down hills and made my way around stationary cars and lorries without any issue!  Good times!

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
2 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

That it is but I am sure the N Sea will finally pay us its dues this winter: it's overdue!

A nice A380 over the tC in your avatar

Thank you, its my two obsessions summed up in one picture. 

It certainly is overdue. Interesting week to come

• Like 1

Posted

This Evening and Tonight:

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow gradually clearing southwestwards overnight. Turning very cold, with further sleet and snow showers feeding in off the North Sea. Some significant accumulations of snow likely in places, especially over higher ground. Icy conditions. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Sunday:

Cold or very cold with a brisk northeasterly wind, which will continue bring frequent sleet and snow showers off the North Sea. Further accumulations are likely. Some brighter interludes. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Snow showers will continue, leading to further snow accumulations and icy stretches. Despite sunshine in-between the showers it will remain bitterly cold, with often strong winds and severe overnight frosts.

Edited by LeeSnowFan
  • Like 4

Posted

Tipping it down in SW Sheffield - it’s gonna be a close race to see if the new stuff arrives before the old melts away!

9999E3F3-EEEF-4F21-A8B2-45BD91E11AE8.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Heaters are ready to be lit in the greenhouses. Don’t want any Mediterranean plants to freeze. Although we have had rain today I was expecting it to be much heavier. Hope it’s not blowing over our heads like 2018! 

That was an utter disaster. I'm hoping 2010❤️?️?️❄️?️❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

No movement in dew points over East Anglia yet however the next very heavy batch over Lincolnshire for south/west Yorkshire may do some damage given temperatures are mostly 2-4C already before that pushes stuff down.

The ground is so sodden here. I remember the mid January snow event, it was so sodden then and settled absolutly fine. Hope it is same again. I know the theory of wet ground doesnt bode well for snow to stick but we know its not true. Anyone know why it still settles when its so sodden? In simple terms, i guess its to do with ground been cold enough and slush forms on the surface, aiding snow to eventually settle. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, John90 said:

Thank you, its my two obsessions summed up in one picture. 

It certainly is overdue. Interesting week to come

Not been the greatest year planes-wise either...... Still, there's always the weather and it's nothing if not interesting at the moment! The model watching has been phenomenal this week as has the associated emotional breakdowns.

The Lincs Wolds have gone green on the radar during the last hour as well so everything going the right way, just veeeeery slooooowly.

• Like 1

Lincs to > Derbyshire streamer 75% confidence - 10-30cm+ from N Lincs, parts of S Yorks and into Chesterfield 

Chance of 10-30cm around this area (between Leeds and Nottingham) is ~50% (still quite high) but reflecive of uncertainty in the streamer position

A direct hit west of the Pennine 150m contour would result in 5-10cm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Lincs to > Derbyshire streamer 75% confidence - 10-30cm+ from N Lincs, parts of S Yorks and into Chesterfield 

Chance of 10-30cm around this area (between Leeds and Nottingham) is ~50% (still quite high) but reflecive of uncertainty in the streamer position

You left us out in East Yorkshire! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Thinking the northern streamer may fluctuate to include more. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

You think The GEM streamer has some traction? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tipping it down in SW Sheffield - it’s gonna be a close race to see if the new stuff arrives before the old melts away!

9999E3F3-EEEF-4F21-A8B2-45BD91E11AE8.jpeg

My mother used to use this as a weather sign. She always said that when the snow melted rapidly and all went away, there wouldn't be any more, however, if bits hung about here and there, there would be more snow. This was after the 62 winter.

Anyway, treasure that little white blob and give it a socially-distanced cuddle. It has done its job and soon will be joined by lots of new friends. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

The 850s over the region are currently -4/5c so only conducive for hill snow on the easterly flow.

These will slowly drop overnight along with the snowline and by morning the whole region will be covered in -11c so anything after that will be snow to all levels and remain that way well into the week.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

You left us out in East Yorkshire! 

Everyone always does 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Streamers are looking extremely 2010 with intensity probably 75% of that.  Eclxcited!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Thank you Kasim. But what about Huddersfield/Wakefield area? Surely with orographic lift and elevation anywhere around pennines, will do well anyway? As shown by accumalation charts?

Edited by Snowjokes92

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sleet has now turned back to rain as the temperatures stopped falling and edged back up.