Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
Just now, Craigers said:

Never thought I'd say this but this potentially could match or better 2010 depending how unstable the flow gets. Hopefully for Yorkshire were not in a gap and Northumberland getting a right old pasting as usual.

2010 was epic I know Barnsley got just over 2 foot of snow that year! was amazing and it hung around for days due to the temps!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aiden2020 said:

This is a very exciting time it’s getting very hard for me to not tell everybody

haha a few more days and you can scream it lol but for now

200.gif

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

2010 was epic I know Barnsley got just over 2 foot of snow that year! was amazing and it hung around for days due to the temps!

2010 saw -11 uppers in similar heights for around 30 hours. We have potentially 100+ hours this time round. If wind direction plays ball it beggars belief what some areas could receive

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

2010 saw -11 uppers in similar heights for around 30 hours. We have potentially 100+ hours this time round. If wind direction plays ball it beggars belief what some areas could receive

ooo I got a tingle lol

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Never thought I'd say this but this potentially could match or better 2010 depending how unstable the flow gets. Hopefully for Yorkshire were not in a gap and Northumberland getting a right old pasting as usual.

Pretty sure mate with shift south and the super cold uppers now covering most of the Midlands northwards there won't be a gap.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Aiden2020 said:

This is a very exciting time it’s getting very hard for me to not tell everybody

i told my black Labrador .......is that ok ?

• Like 3

Posted

Just to show how stubborn cold air can be. The temp on my weather station hasn't got higher than 2c pretty much since yesterday! 

Still snow cover about and super foggy.

100707630_Screenshot_20210203-084855_MeteoPWSMonitor.thumb.jpg.f1e23ddb86169c8bda99dabb5d2554d0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

Wait for the Newspaper headlines then the scramble for milk and bread, and booze! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
52 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

The first could come as soon as saturday night into sunday morning according to the arpege. Currently showing conditions right from 7am sunday morning but dont be surprised if we see snow from the diving low pressure saturday day nearer to time!

Screenshot_20210203-080545_Samsung Internet.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to see a spell of sleet and snow during Saturday before real fun and games kick off. 

• Like 1

Posted

A quick one from me, went to sleep with one doubt in mind after reviewing last nights data. 

*On a whole across most models, sunday-wednesday the postitioning of the easterly was close to this chart I've pinned.UKMOPEU00_96_1.thumb.png.3700f68a7e1fabafa6ce8d571d7dee53.png

What I feared if this was to be the final solution for the easterly, we was very close to no-mans land (gfs and ecm last night had us just right side though) between the cold polar feed to NE Britain with beautiful snow showers/ towers piling in with zero marginality and the slightly less cold frontal/ shortwave stuff to the SE Britain. 

In that situation between the 2 key areas there is usually a DRY ZONE or the showers are light, we had that in 2010 with areas like Newcastle/Middlesbrough north getting pumeled for days with snow showers and more frontal snow in the south east. Yes there was the odd exception with the streamer that paggered scunthorpe > doncaster > sheffield but was generally rule of thumb.

So this morning hiding behind my computer chair honestly fear full of thatand days similar to the chart I posted but no overnight it has all gone even more in a favour and we are well inside that beautifull polar airmass with frequent heavy snowshowers. And that is after a period of snow moving down from the north saturday night into sunday! Happy days for all of or region! ❄️ ECMOPEU00_144_1.thumb.png.29a6503ab310b5b25a05c437365054f7.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

A quick one from me, went to sleep with one doubt in mind after reviewing last nights data. 

*On a whole across most models, sunday-wednesday the postitioning of the easterly was close to this chart I've pinned.UKMOPEU00_96_1.thumb.png.3700f68a7e1fabafa6ce8d571d7dee53.png

What I feared if this was to be the final solution for the easterly, we was very close to no-mans land (gfs and ecm last night had us just right side though) between the cold polar feed to NE Britain with beautiful snow showers/ towers piling in with zero marginality and the slightly less cold frontal/ shortwave stuff to the SE Britain. 

In that situation between the 2 key areas there is usually a DRY ZONE or the showers are light, we had that in 2010 with areas like Newcastle/Middlesbrough north getting pumeled for days with snow showers and more frontal snow in the south east. Yes there was the odd exception with the streamer that paggered scunthorpe > doncaster > sheffield but was generally rule of thumb.

So this morning hiding behind my computer chair honestly fear full of thatand days similar to the chart I posted but no overnight it has all gone even more in a favour and we are well inside that beautifull polar airmass with frequent heavy snowshowers. And that is after a period of snow moving down from the north saturday night into sunday! Happy days for all of or region! ❄️ ECMOPEU00_144_1.thumb.png.29a6503ab310b5b25a05c437365054f7.png

That was my worry too! So glad its going in our favour now. Those easterlies back in the day when Northumberland was constantly pasted and Yorkshire just getting scattered mini showers. Proper heart breaking when that happens 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I'm getting giddy!!!

So good to see the overnight runs holding steady now. This could be an epic period to remember for Yorkshire over the coming week. I agree the snow could match 2010 if it all falls right!

?️☃️

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

This sounds good! I just read a post in the NW regional thread that Yorkshire doesn't do so well under this kind of Easterlies or something like that and I got a bit disappointed. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

This sounds good! I just read a post in the NW regional thread that Yorkshire doesn't do so well under this kind of Easterlies or something like that and I got a bit disappointed. 

Geography might not be there strong point. 

We're just about best place for an Easterly. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

I'm getting giddy!!!

So good to see the overnight runs holding steady now. This could be an epic period to remember for Yorkshire over the coming week. I agree the snow could match 2010 if it all falls right!

?️☃️

image.png.8e30845f556ad97da0c92071afffc24a.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
10 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Just thought I’d call in from Lancashire, I’m only a mile from the border so occasionally I sneak into the Yorkshire thread whilst complying to Covid rules of course

anyway I don’t think there is any danger of yourselves not getting hammered by the snow and there’s not a hope in hell that it will miss your side of the Pennines and then dump it’s load over in Lancashire.

my location, just on the other side of the ridge at the head of Calderdale often shares in the spoils from the east and some of our best snow events have come from a good easterly but areas further into Lancashire and certainly out towards the coast tend to miss out although they then benefit from fronts approaching from the Irish Sea.

Anyway it’s probably time to get your big shovel and sledge out and hopefully the same will be true for myself.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

I am actually getting really giddy now Tried holding back on the excitement but i cant no longer haha. 

I wont be telling anyone though just incase  

I have everything

• Like 2

Posted

Metoffice warning for Sunday / Monday and more snow showing on the automated forecasts!!! UPGRADE AFTER UPGRADE. 

Now gfs 6z showing more upgrades. I need to calm down ???

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Metoffice warning for Sunday / Monday and more snow showing on the automated forecasts!!! UPGRADE AFTER UPGRADE. 

And it’s over a wide area, but importantly taking in the whole of our region!

C40E1FF1-4276-4399-86DB-4379293AE275.png

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Could see amber warning before Friday? or even on Friday a red would be nice