Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Jubbly

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Weather for UK, Ireland and the world. Sailing, Marine Weather, Weather maps, radar, satellite, climate, historic weather data, information about meteorology...

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, Nice Euro4. 15cm in places, including Leeds and Harrogate and Huddersfield.

Think this is much as a dead cert as you can get for snow certainly here, would be a bit more nervous towards Sheffield but hopefully still a good few hours of snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Excellent Euro4. Let's see if we manage to get something from the 2nd band also in the evening but it will be very marginal. Chances are 70% rain-30% snow even with 1C. I'd prefer to completely avoid the 2nd band though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Yes, Nice Euro4. 15cm in places, including Leeds and Harrogate and Huddersfield.

Think this is much as a dead cert as you can get for snow certainly here, would be a bit more nervous towards Sheffield but hopefully still a good few hours of snow.

Now now, don't make me twitch!

Mind you, my work is north Sheffield and high up ❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Not sure what to think for us in South Yorkshire. I'm a bit nervous.

TV graphics only just turn white as it gets to Sheffield area and the meto automated for me is showing sleet. Were at the southern boundary of the warning.

Have to see. Shame it's warming up, looks to be 5c by the afternoon. Looks like I'll have to get up early to see it falling lol

Posted

Not sure what to make of it but the localised meto forecast is showing 9 hours of snow followed by a period of sleet then back to snow from 2pm onwards. 

Which suggests perciptation over high ground could well be of a wintry nature after the main band has left. 

Screenshot_20210201-143041.png

Posted

It's really on a knife edge.

Uppers not getting any colder than -1, hovering between 0 and -1.

Freezing level around 100m. 

South Yorkshire should be fine, I'd expect widespread accumulations of around 5cm to lower levels. The snow will be quite wet but the intensity should mean we'll see decent snow coverage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Cheese Rice said:

It's really on a knife edge.

Uppers not getting any colder than -1, hovering between 0 and -1.

Freezing level around 100m. 

South Yorkshire should be fine, I'd expect widespread accumulations of around 5cm to lower levels. The snow will be quite wet but the intensity should mean we'll see decent snow coverage.

Yep, I agree.  South Yorkshire should do ok but the nervy bit is that we seem to be right on the boundary.  

I think elevation will help, but anyone is the far South of the region and at lower elevation might only see a short duration of snow before it turns to sleet and rain.  Further North and greater elevation it will probably be all snow until the 2nd band of ppn comes through later in the day and that will bring the less cold air in for everyone in England.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Yep, I agree.  South Yorkshire should do ok but the nervy bit is that we seem to be right on the boundary.  

I think elevation will help, but anyone is the far South of the region and at lower elevation might only see a short duration of snow before it turns to sleet and rain.  Further North and greater elevation it will probably be all snow until the 2nd band of ppn comes through later in the day and that will bring the less cold air in for everyone in England.

I'm not giving up on the 2nd band yet. Many ppn charts have snow persisting just a few miles north of Harrogate. I hope the 180asl might do their part until very late into Wednesday. 

Let's have the snow first thing by dawn though because I've seen many times in my life events like this turning to a disaster.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

One of these years we'll get an atmospheric river' over us hitting a 'Beast from the East' type air mass under it

Todmorden, the other week ,saw 120mm of rain.....had that of been snow........

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I'm not giving up on the 2nd band yet. Many ppn charts have snow persisting just a few miles north of Harrogate. I hope the 180asl might do their part until very late into Wednesday. 

Let's have the snow first thing by dawn though because I've seen many times in my life events like this turning to a disaster.

Yep, your elevation and being that bit further North you stand a good chance of getting a proper event!  

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

dare we say upgrades for the weekend

its a beauty

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg(4).jpg

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg(5).jpg

Wow! If that comes off we will all be buried!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
12 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Massive upgrades on the potential Easterly by GFS 12z.

Putting it mildly. They are going for national emergency amounts of snow. 'Worst' place on GFS in England (other than Pennines near Scotland) is Lincolnshire with 35cm's according to GFS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Oh well, at least if we miss out tomorrow there's not long to wait until the next chance looking at it!

Bring on the weekend!! Please don't downgrade!!! ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

this model dosen't have it reaching us sunday hmm

overview_20210201_00_156.jpg

overview_20210201_00_150.jpg

Ppn is the last worry so far ahead. Bring on the thing without downgrades please. It's not even a pure Easterly. It has some Northeastern elements on it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

GFS 12z seems to have gone off on one.  Sunday 7th, according to them.

The terms 'blizzard' and 'whiteout' get used a lot on the board - Not sure this would result in the latter, but it seems likely to meet the meteorological definition of the former, at least for coastal parts of Lincs, E and N Yorks. I imagine it would be lively on the N Y Moors and both Wolds. I'll eat my hat if it verifies, of course.

prectypeuktopo.png

ukwind 07-02.png

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

this model dosen't have it reaching us sunday hmm

overview_20210201_00_156.jpg

overview_20210201_00_150.jpg

Lots of water to pass under the bridge so many chances for upgrades/downgrades, and snow charts shouldn’t be taken at face value.  However, if you view on Meteociel light snow starts in Yorkshire late Friday, through Saturday, gets much heavier on Sunday and Monday before getting lighter and dying out on Tuesday.  At this range all JFF!

• Like 1