Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

When did we actually go under the Amber Warning for all the rain thought it was yellow??

Think it was just before lunch today.  Yellow warning area extended and Amber released around the same time.

Posted
34 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Think it was just before lunch today.  Yellow warning area extended and Amber released around the same time.

Ah ok

Do quite a bit of fishing and can’t get on the Calder near me as very full and this week won’t help with any snow melt

local pond in a dip so that’s about 2ft higher than normal which is not a problem but it’s frozen bloody solid

rill on May

Posted
13 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Since the finally closed the walls where the old bridge in 'Royd was placed I've been waiting for the kind of event that would have have my antenna twitching & I believe this will be it?

I will be monitoring both rainfall and river levels through tues/weds!

If we're OK then i'll be checking downstream starting at Luddendenfoot & on through to Selby!

If we don't cop for it then areas who have not seen defences beefed up may suffer in our stead?

Down to Sowerby Bridge, where not a jot of work has taken place. They also built a big housing estate just before Copley which may get flooded...it just depends on what we get. The Calder is pretty high down here already. Heading into Hebden bridge in a bit for some food shopping, I imagine the river is at an ok level. Made sure my drains are all clear! It even floods up here, too many people messing with the drains and old water run offs up here. At least in the last few years the farmers have started clearing the ditch drains at the side of the roads. The moors are saturated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Met office is updating the warnings now - and they have put almost all the region - along with all the East Midlands and parts of Eastern England under the Amber warning now. Also mentions the 200mm again. Probably not insignificant odds of a red warning for the Pennines given the Aire, Calder etc are very high (Aire even flooded in parts yesterday).

Rain developing during Monday persists into Wednesday and Thursday, this rain associated with Storm Christoph. Rain will be heaviest and most persistent across western facing hills. Over 100 mm of rain is expected across the higher ground with the potential for 150-200 mm of rain in the most exposed areas. The rain will also lead to rapid melting of any remaining lying snow across the higher peaks adding to water entering the river network. Strong winds will accompany the rain at times and may add to travelling difficulties across higher and more exposed routes.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
39 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

BBC weather just said heavy snow for scotland wednesday/thursday no mention of yorkshire

I can't see Yorkshire being in the firing line for snow as early as Wednesday night unless cold air undercuts the precipitation before it moves away.

That said the models look to be firming up on a coldish spell of sorts for our region between  Thursday and Monday so we might get some surprise snow during that period?

Uppers don't look too spectacular although the coldest GFS ensembles do reach -10 -11 for our region during that period so who knows?

Anyways we have heavy rain and potential flooding on the menu before that but fingers crossed we can avoid the worst of it! 

Edited by Kentish Snowman in Yorks
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking like a bit of sleet/snow thursday morning but any appreciable coverings seem reserved for high ground, albeit temporary. Lower down maybe a slushy light covering, melting in the afternoon.

All attention has to be on the risk of flooding. Could be quite nasty come thursday morning after the lag upstream down into the valley basins.

Usual areas prone to flooding could be in for a torrid time, perhaps historical in few isolated places.

Again sticking to my forecasted outlook the other day of the weather being atlantic orientated with any cold/ appreciable snow short lived and reserved to highest ground until at least the very end of the month.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

The GFS almost puts Yorkshire back in the firing line in the rap round for snow, one to watch. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

The GFS almost puts Yorkshire back in the firing line in the rap round for snow, one to watch. 

Fingers crossed I will want more after last week. But feel for the people what will be effected from all the flooding ☹️ 

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, Love Snow said:

Fingers crossed I will want more after last week. But feel for the people what will be effected from all the flooding ☹️ 

Flooding , in my experience, is not about the hours the event last but the months of filth as the clean up goes on

It's the hollow eyes of folk who lost everything yet must struggle on

It's the days after all the 'good folk', those providing muscle and hot food/drink, go home and leave you to grieve alone

Sadly, If I am correct, we will see many 'first time flooded' along the Calder Valley (downstream of the flood works?) and my heart goes out to all those folk who will go to bed tonight without a thought about what will be hitting them late Tues night!

Posted
9 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Flooding , in my experience, is not about the hours the event last but the months of filth as the clean up goes on

It's the days after all the 'good folk', those providing muscle and hot food/drink, go home and leave you to grieve alone

Sadly, If I am correct, we will see many 'first time flooded' along the Calder Valley (downstream of the flood works?) and my heart goes out to all those folk who will go to bed tonight without a thought about what will be hitting them late Tues night!

Yeah that’s very true i never thought of it that way. The heavy rains just arrived it looks horrendous like night outside.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

My daughter and family moved out of Mytholmroyd to Halifax just 3 months before the huge flooding a few years ago. The house they left was flooded to a metre up the ground floor walls. Thankfully they are now on the side of a gentle hill and there's at least no chance of flooding for them there. But they left behind friends in the Calder valley and it was a devastating time for them.

It's an horrendous thing, just as it has been for the people near Doncaster who are still trying to dry out their houses.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Rain seems to be a bit further north then expected at the mo.

One of the concern areas was the peak District but it's dry there at the mo and not raining in Sheffield or Rotherham. I've only recorded 4mm so far.

• Like 1

Posted

My Wife's a 'rain Goddess' Winter Cold......she does things like this if she needs to go out & the forecast is dire!

The wind has picked up on the Southern edge of the rain though?

Posted
22 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

My Wife's a 'rain Goddess' Winter Cold......she does things like this if she needs to go out & the forecast is dire!

The wind has picked up on the Southern edge of the rain though?

Haha, she's doing a good job!

Even Leeds is now sticking out of the bottom of the band!! It is a bit breezy though yes.

Not sure where the source of the Don, Sheaf and Rother are but seems for now the SY rivers may be spared. Think it was Doncaster and Bawtry area to get flooded last time wasn't it? This can only be good for them

• Like 1

Posted

spacer.pngHarmonie 6z

Latest Harmonie 6z still looks quite interesting for parts of Yorkshire ( especially with altitude ) as the slow moving front moves away on Thur morning and the cold air arrives behind it. ( back edge snow anyone ? )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.pngHarmonie 6z

Latest Harmonie 6z still looks quite interesting for parts of Yorkshire ( especially with altitude ) as the slow moving front moves away on Thur morning and the cold air arrives behind it. ( back edge snow anyone ? )

Nice, let's have snow 2 Thursdays in a row ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
8 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

what happened to the heavy rain?

Its gone more North than predicted, was heavier than predicted as well, wasn't really meant to be very heavy till this afternoon.

Aire is going to flood for certain, even with just the rain that has already fallen as the worst spots have been on its catchment areas.

edit: Just checked already some stations on the Aire are past flood level.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's just to your north at the moment, but there's plenty more to come over the next couple of days.

But every hour without rain gives the Moor more chance to drain Paul so these 3 hours of dry might make a big difference to some later?

We already have the massed MSM waiting for our latest disaster......I think they're too far upstream & might need to dash to areas further downstream now accepting our 'extra' volumes of water that the flood works mean we can now ship downstream like never before!

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Its gone more North than predicted, was heavier than predicted as well, wasn't really meant to be very heavy till this afternoon.

It's certainly is much further North by about 100 miles or more.

In Northern Ireland it wasn't forecast to get North of Lough Neagh, but as you can see its already well North of that into the Scottish islands and further North in England too.

image.thumb.png.de647cb0ae9e26a26d38a247f81d2f9f.png

• Like 2