Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Dec 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
    9 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

I expected to go out to a frozen car at half 5 this morning, I guess the overcast sky prevented temperatures falling. 

Could even hear dripping from gutter. 

I heard slight dripping around 5-6am, but that has now stopped and neighbours now going out to work and having to scrape frost off windscreens.

It’s evident that there has been a small amount of melt overnight, but then there must have been a fairly sudden drop in temp here as we have small icicles hanging from plants, trees and even ice on overhead telephone lines (not seen that for quite a few years!)

Edited by SouthYorks
    • Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry guys. My mums still in a really bad way. I just wanted to post to quickly say tonight in my opinin is being underestimated. The trend today has been to keep the front as all snow

Around 50cm has fallen across the highest parts of the North York Moors yesterday. Went for a walk this morning at Newgate Bank. Around 30cm of fresh powdery snow underfoot and quite difficult to

Last one from me, great day...just stopped now so 11 hours of snow 👍👏👏 Hope those that missed out get some soon 🤞👍  

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Penistone - NW of Sheffield, W of Barnsley - 244m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - lots of Snow - Warm, as-long-as-it's-dry days

good morning all. current conditions attached.

lovely skies this morning - sunny and blue, with a pink layer.

Just been out to defrost the car. The snow wasn't crunchy as many have noted, but the surfaces that didn't have snow were very icy.

The electric mirrors on the car had frozen closed in and there was an ice layer on the inside of the car windows as well as outside 🙂

There's a warehouse just across the back here, their electric gate had frozen shut so none of the workers could get in 😂 

stay safe if venturing out today 🤘🥶👍

current.JPG

• Like 1
    Posted

Had a quick look at the charts/data and can't see more than a short period of snow/sleet/freezing rain before all rain as the front sweeps through tomorrow morning.

Uppers reaching around 1c when precipitation hits, without light winds we won't get any evaporative cooling. The dewpoint at 6am expected to be 1 or 2c and the 0 degree isotherm is way the wrong side of marginal. I would even expect rain later saturday morning rising to above 250m.

Won't be in the slightest bit dissapointed as had a memorable event yesterday!

viewimage (4).png

viewimage (5).png

viewimage (6).png

Edited by Harsh Climate
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - lots of Snow - Warm, as-long-as-it's-dry days
    13 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Walk with dog at 7.15am 

IMG_20210115_073854.jpg

IMG_20210115_073946.jpg

IMG_20210115_073953.jpg

IMG_20210115_074437.jpg

IMG_20210115_074441.jpg

IMG_20210115_074632.jpg

IMG_20210115_074457.jpg

IMG_20210115_074635.jpg

IMG_20210115_074641.jpg

IMG_20210115_074643.jpg

IMG_20210115_074709.jpg

IMG_20210115_074701.jpg

IMG_20210115_074714.jpg

IMG_20210115_074717.jpg

IMG_20210115_075018.jpg

IMG_20210115_075021.jpg

IMG_20210115_075050.jpg

IMG_20210115_075053.jpg

I know where you are! I come past regularly on the bus, on my way to a clients.

In fact ,I was on my way to him yesterday, but the driver was turning back at the medical centre, but I needed to be at the far end of the route 🙂

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Had a quick look at the charts/data and can't see more than a short period of snow/sleet/freezing rain before all rain as the front sweeps through tomorrow morning.

Uppers reaching around 1c when precipitation hits, without light winds we won't get any evaporative cooling. The dewpoint at 6am expected to be 1 or 2c and the 0 degree isotherm is way the wrong side of marginal. I would even expect rain later saturday morning rising to above 250m.

viewimage (4).png

viewimage (5).png

viewimage (6).png

I'll take that. As you said, it was memorable yesterday.

wash it away, a brief warming then back into an even colder, snowier reload (wishful thinking at it's best 🤞)

• Like 3
    Posted
    Just now, stupotlee said:

I'll take that. As you said, it was memorable yesterday.

wash it away, a brief warming then back into an even colder, snowier reload (wishful thinking at it's best 🤞)

Yeah the outlook is interesting to say the least.

• Like 2
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

viewimage (4).png

viewimage (5).png

viewimage (6).png

It's inevitable that will turn to sleet or rain later in the morning but the heavy ppn comes early hours overnight. This is where we focus for 3-4 hours of heavy snow especially at higher ground. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

It's inevitable that will turn to sleet or rain later in the morning but the heavy ppn comes early hours overnight. This is where we focus for 3-4 hours of heavy snow especially at higher ground. 

Yeah but if there's actually anything worth seeing it will probably be around 3-4am,  I won't be spending my saturday morning waiting for that! 😆🤣

• Like 2
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah but if there's actually anything worth seeing it will probably be around 3-4am,  I won't be spending my saturday morning waiting for that! 😆🤣

you would if you lived in Beverley or Hull HC .....and hadn't seen any snow falling for 8 years

Posted
    1 minute ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

you would if you lived in Beverley or Hull HC .....and hadn't seen any snow falling for 8 years

No I still wouldn't 🙄.

😆😆😆

Posted
    Just now, Harsh Climate said:

No I still wouldn't 🙄.

😆😆😆

and i was hoping you were a total snow fanatic !

• Like 1
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

😀😀 I'm definitely waking up at 3-4am if there's a possibility of heavy snow! Especially from an Atlantic system full of moisture! 

Posted
    1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

😀😀 I'm definitely waking up at 3-4am if there's a possibility of heavy snow! Especially from an Atlantic system full of moisture! 

Haha that's dedication 🙂. Hopefully you will get ya fix

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Temp dropping here since it's got light. Now down to -1.4c

Don't see that very often!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny in Summer, Cold & Frosty in Winter, Thunderstorms

What a gorgeous morning, literally looks like Lapland. Currently -3.5, I wonder if it won’t climb above 0C all day.

• Like 1
    Posted

Ended up having a nice walk yesterday evening to try take it in. The main roads was pretty clear and it was clear the snow was melting to some degree, this was at around 6pm - 8pm. Been out this morning and thankfully the snow is still here and there was a nice crunch to it this morning. I'll try post some pictures later. Unfortunately I couldn't get that many scenic ones because it was a bit too late / dark last night

Lovely to see snow again

• Like 1
    Posted
    25 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Haha that's dedication 🙂. Hopefully you will get ya fix

Made the mistake again to tell the children about the chance of snow tonight. This means they will be up at 4am like last night.. 🤐

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Keep hearing rumblings and its snow falling off peoples roofs lol been some years since i have heard that

• Like 1
    Posted

Someone needs to invent a snow alarm. I would happily get up at 4am if it was actually snowing.

• Like 1
    Posted
    33 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

I live in Hull or just right on the outskirts and we have defiantely had snow in the last 8 years lol. Mainly marginal and quickly turned back to rain or whatever fell melted quite quick apart from Feb/Mar 2018.

Last time we had proper snow lying was in Feb 2019 but it melted after 3 or 4 hours. You could technically say we had an white christmas to it did snow on christmas morning but was just an few flakes. But it has being very poor recently but has being the case for most low lying area's recently within 20 odd miles of the coast anyways.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, boyzie said:

Someone needs to invent a snow alarm. I would happily get up at 4am if it was actually snowing.

Watch this space! You'll be able to do that with the v8 radar soon 😄

• Like 6
    • Thanks 1
    Posted

Still -1.5 here, sun just poking through a layer of freezing fog 

IMG_20210115_100515.jpg

• Like 1
    Posted
    42 minutes ago, snow*please said:

What a day yesterday! Was fantastic here. Made some fab memories with kids, snowmen, snowball fights and in the park made the biggest snowball i have ever seen! 

Loved it and i wont be bothered at all if we get nothing at all tomorrow. Im more than happy now. 

20210114_173202.jpg

20210114_170425.jpg

Is this Kendray? You are only down road from where I live in Ardsley!

• Like 1
    Posted

Morning everyone

20210115_093606.thumb.jpg.aa4e3fd9d285b5ce97697e6486ade7e0.jpg20210115_093633.thumb.jpg.bd069547f55fd808812fce1476003391.jpg20210115_093440.thumb.jpg.78e7e2e67bc9a2023e68e6c2fd549342.jpg

• Like 3