Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well well strange weather I hear these are called showers actually some heavy ones. Maybe a rumble of Thunder. The last shower was a good example how the radar can lie though at times. Radar showed a big area of cloud with heavy rain but actaully it was a narrow band already breaking up.

Anyway I won't need to water tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well well strange weather I hear these are called showers actually some heavy ones. Maybe a rumble of Thunder. The last shower was a good example how the radar can lie though at times. Radar showed a big area of cloud with heavy rain but actaully it was a narrow band already breaking up.

Anyway I won't need to water tonight.

I live in SHeffield to and there's been NO thunder here since last July LOL. Is that normal? Having lived in the SE and also Buxton, Derbyshire I can say Sheffield must be the least thundery place I've lived by a long long way. Bloody boring climate without a doubt. I can't wait to visit New Orleans next year to get some storms for the first time in years.

2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I live in SHeffield to and there's been NO thunder here since last July LOL. Is that normal? Having lived in the SE and also Buxton, Derbyshire I can say Sheffield must be the least thundery place I've lived by a long long way. Bloody boring climate without a doubt. I can't wait to visit New Orleans next year to get some storms for the first time in years.

We had a good start last year - quite a number of thundery days in June 2021 (bugger all thereafter!), but as you say absolutely zilch so far this year   I'm not dissatisfied with the spring and our summer so far weather-wise, but a nice thundery breakdown wouldn't go amiss!

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Storms have declined in the last ten to fifthteen years no idea why. Normal proceedure is they hit chesterfield die away by the time they get to the top of Dronfield bypass then rebuild when leaving Sheffield and soak Doncaster , Leeds etc.

Posted

Quite a different day today. Lunchtime bike ride produced building heavy cloud, with vertical development. Wind varying between SE and SW gusty force 4. Variable direction of the wind was notable while out, look at the two pictures of the windsock at Grindale airfield taken maybe 30 secs apart. 

sock1.thumb.PNG.b6b12b26e0309d6ec21584d64ec4394a.PNGsock2.thumb.PNG.6cb3b6a750d18ae3f8eec6a069dc6df7.PNG

About 15 mins after I got home we had a very short sharp shower, and it looks like there is more to come.

20220627_124004.thumb.jpg.d1a749c715826cb9b5682777ccaa51d0.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Well some places got some rain today. Here just 0.8mm

Posted

Over on the N Yorkshire coast again for 2-3 days. A bit of a mish-mash of a day with sunshine this morning, drizzle for a time at lunchtime and then back to sun with some high cloud and a breeze off the moors. Clear tonight and suspect it may get quite chilly overnight. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

It’s nice to have the heat again today on the Wolds. Plenty of sun with some cloud  & a good breeze keeping the heat pleasant. Perfect day for cleaning & drying out your tent ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

This morning started with a bit of drizzle, barely enough to 'sleck' the dust! Warm throughout the day, cloud eased back this aft briefly, now low cloud but a mild evening, watered the garden again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Some sun to start the day but mostly an overcast day here. At 21c though it’s feeling quite sultry.

F689A70E-8295-4FC2-A7E4-EC1263F61FCB.thumb.jpeg.a079426fd5f95d85091410b44aa5f8d5.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

Some sun to start the day but mostly an overcast day here. At 21c though it’s feeling quite sultry.

At least the wind has dropped a bit, lunchtime bike ride was better as a result. Humidity higher than previous days and a very few spots of rain while I was out.  Looking ahead the heat seems to be staying away from our area for which I am grateful.

• Like 2

Posted

Watching Hollywood’s version of climate change - Day After Tomorrow ?. Very melodramatic but love it. Seen so many times

Posted

Heavy shower just passing near Bridlington with a few rumbles as well, welcome rainfall tbh

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful big CG lightning in Bridlington followed a few pleasant deep rumbles of thunder and some moderate rainfall.

Now out into the north sea.

Plenty of convection going on across the region today .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.

Cracking little storm close to Brid now out into the north sea.

The plants and birds loving the drink today.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Matthew FRANCIS-BURNETT said:

Beautiful big CG lightning in Bridlington

Yes we were in town, wife was surprised (replace with much stronger word). No bike ride unless it clears but will check radar first

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
5 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Yes we were in town, wife was surprised (replace with much stronger word). No bike ride unless it clears but will check radar first

There's more convection going up inland so could see something more later but not guaranteed.

That was a stunning flash of lightning earlier . It must be labour looking for attention after the local election voting yesterday LOL

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like we are in a sweet spot for storm potential today, i am at work at Carnaby but it may be a less than productive afternoon

• Like 2

Posted

More storms, went out on my bike, got chased home by this cloud. Heavens opened ad I was putting my bike away and now thunder and lightning at home, saw a good cg strike

20220701_134125.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I missed it ⚡️. Drove through the heavy rain heading to Lincolnshire, leaving it behind in Yorkshire. Lots of surface water on roads, but dry once over the bridge. Still very wet on return home & garden well battered down! No watering needed tonight. Our wettest day of the season so far I suspect. A nice clear evening now though.

Edited by RebsAbbo
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

I missed it ⚡️. Drove through the heavy rain heading to Lincolnshire, leaving it behind in Yorkshire. Lots of surface water on roads, but dry once over the bridge. Still very wet on return home & garden well battered down! No watering needed tonight. Our wettest day of the season so far I suspect. A nice clear evening now though.

Looking at the depth of the mud by the village pond that has washed down the wolds and talking to some peeps who were home this aft, the rain was biblical, the streets were awash from kerb to kerb and 2 power cuts one for 20 mins and one brief, I missed out whilst only working 10 miles away!

• Like 2