Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Monday's snow potential a little downgraded this afternoon. Now within range of the EURO4 which isn't going for it, and neither is the Met Office. The GFS12z has also taken a step back. However, the ARPEGE, ICON and NMM all want a piece of the snow for central and northern areas mid-Monday.

Looking like a nowcast on the day... quelle surprise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Monday's snow potential a little downgraded this afternoon. Now within range of the EURO4 which isn't going for it, and neither is the Met Office. The GFS12z has also taken a step back. However, the ARPEGE, ICON and NMM all want a piece of the snow for central and northern areas mid-Monday.

Yeh 00Z NMM was excellent, 06Z was decent and 12Z is meh.

Shame really as its been yonks since a good frontal event here in low lying North Yorkshire, probably 2013 was the last one with more than an inch falling! That's 8 years

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
46 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Subtle changes in the amount of cold uppers. I was bit surprised too see sleet on top in the peak district this morning as the model runs didn't show colder uppers pushing in to later. By time I left the sleet showers had turned to rain. I was expecting it the other way round.

Posted

When I checked the Met Office forecast this morning for Yorkshire, I’m sure it said a wet start but brightening up through the day. Wrong! It’s rained all day and it’s still bouncing down now. 

Edited by Paul_1978
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Wet miserable nothingness on the Wolds tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Screenshot_2021-12-05-11-08-16-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

So wind warnings for the whole region onTuesday and a snow warning for Western hilly parts. Interestingly, however, the snow warning doesn't mention anything about elevation, just says 2-5cm widely in the warning area. Not sure what to make of that as my home is outside the warning (just) but my work at Cleckheaton is in it, but at less than 100m asl. I wish I worked at Queensbury, its only 5 miles from work but over 300m asl so rarely marginal! 

Edited by bazookabob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, bazookabob said:

So wind warnings for the whole region onTuesday and a snow warning for Western hilly parts. Interestingly, however, the snow warning doesn't mention anything about elevation, just says 2-5cm widely in the warning area. Not sure what to make of that as my home is outside the warning (just) but my work at Cleckheaton is in it, but at less than 100m asl. I wish I worked at Queensbury, its only 5 miles from work but over 300m asl so rarely marginal! 

I feel this low coming in from the west is still putting some uncertainties on what happens next I expect upgrades or downgrades as it develops across the uk on Monday. I feel then the met office will adapt its warnings as and when. 

Posted

The track of the low so far is undecided local met forecast mentions sleet again I notice and wintry mix tomorrow. The low tracks over us at the moment and we are not exposed to the present wind direction so it looks a wet cold day with winds turning light as the low sits over us in the afternoon as it slowly fills.

Posted

Unlikely to be much in the way of wintry stuff today as the front is weak and the temperatures already on the way up plus a dew point of 2.5C. The only chance is whether we get some showers this afternoon. Tomorrow is also fairly doubtful.

Posted

Bonus sleet as temps drop will turn to back edge snow?

Snowing in Dronfield apparently.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Turning to Snow here.

Posted
7 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Turning to Snow here.

Strange, my daughters called to say it’s snowing in town but yet here on a hill it’s definitely rain?! 

Posted

Should die away soon then it's a case of what the showers bring if they make this far.  It was supposed to turn to rain from sleet and snow and not the other way round.

• Like 1

Posted

There seems to be a hook in the precipitation as if it’s a forming low pressure area ??‍♂️ 

If that’s the case the north side would embed colder are and cause the wintry nature of the precipitation.

Edited by farmans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Turning sleety also here in Lincoln.

Posted

Turning to sleet here on my lunchtime bike ride, very cold feeling and wet, I am officially a wimp as I turned back early cutting 1.25 miles off my normal ride, very miserable weather.

Posted

One sleet shower this afternoon and what snow that was o n the moors has receded back to higher levels.

Tomorrows weather the latest GFS run shoves the low pressure further north and UKMO is similar. This reduces the snow threat pushing it a bit further north but brings sunny Sheffield into the area of stronger winds. Southerlies or south easterlies don't really bother us here so for us late afternoon and overnight should be a wee bit breezy.

Friday we may see some wintry showers later on after that the starts to get more zonal so a long wait for the next wintry spell looks to be on the cards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Temp currently 1c but feels colder under clear skies, cars frozen as well, slip slidey drive to work in the morning me thinks,