Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just got above freezing here again. Every day the forecasted temps from meto were too low. Very disappointed.

No ice days recorded here at all from what should have been 5 or 6. Kind of sums this whole week up. Could have, should have been great but it didn't really deliver. Disappointing in the end!

Oh well, onwards we go, still time left for more snow. I'm not looking for mild until the end of march.....❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Mmmm Bonus Snow ???

• Like 2

Posted

Yes reports to the west of nothing falling at all. Forget radar I think, it's essentially virga

Posted

yup nothing here either.  Just noticed humidity 58%. Very dry air.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
6 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Not a chance folks - the cold and dry air will make mincemeat of this precipitation. A flake or two of dandruff if you're lucky.

Looking at the radar I’m hoping for dandruff.  I hope your prediction is not Head and Shoulders above mine.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

It does seem to be pepping up a bit and this wasn't forecast to come this far east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As forecast it's fallen apart. Looks like high ground may see something fall near Bradford but it's just cloud here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Watching Man City v Spurs at Etihad stadium and there's a few flurries of Snow. 

I bet they all blow straight through our defence!

Edited by General Cluster

Posted

Is it just here been absurdly windy this evening, we have had gusts to 60mph and it's still nearly -3
The drifting higher up especially must be insane. Windchill -13 an hour ago
Earlier:

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Is it just here been absurdly windy this evening, we have had gusts to 60mph and it's still nearly -3
The drifting higher up especially must be insane. Windchill -13 an hour ago
Earlier:

My favourite part about snow! This video is great thank you

• Like 1

Posted

This last weeks cold spell has only being marginally disappointing.

We have had mainly ice days where we are at 800ft and above 1000ft it's been 2 or 3 below at least nearly all the time.

We had snow mainly from the Saturday rain-snow event and then several days of showers but not much accumulation from them really, this was the disappointing part!

The drifting above 1000ft has been impressive.

What surprised me is how green it is away from the hills, I drove to Worsbrough near Barnsley to collect some flour for our bakery and there nothing but a dusting....had it melted? or never accumulated? 

Penistone had a fair covering, but I imagine all Pennine parts with some elevation had a reasonable covering....which has been and is usually the key in any of these type of events where the bulk of the snow came from the rain-snow event.

Disappointing for most, but for us who are born and raised in the hills or simply move to them for these opportunities we have to put up with far more poor weather for a week of snow a year than you in the lower parts of the county do! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Aaron Roberts said:

This last weeks cold spell has only being marginally disappointing.

We have had mainly ice days where we are at 800ft and above 1000ft it's been 2 or 3 below at least nearly all the time.

We had snow mainly from the Saturday rain-snow event and then several days of showers but not much accumulation from them really, this was the disappointing part!

The drifting above 1000ft has been impressive.

What surprised me is how green it is away from the hills, I drove to Worsbrough near Barnsley to collect some flour for our bakery and there nothing but a dusting....had it melted? or never accumulated? 

Penistone had a fair covering, but I imagine all Pennine parts with some elevation had a reasonable covering....which has been and is usually the key in any of these type of events where the bulk of the snow came from the rain-snow event.

Disappointing for most, but for us who are born and raised in the hills or simply move to them for these opportunities we have to put up with far more poor weather for a week of snow a year than you in the lower parts of the county do! 

We didn’t really get much in Barnsley!  Most showers from the North East didn’t reach this far with them dissipating around Goole/Thorne.  There were a few got through as the wind turned more Easterly and those that did most seemed to pass either North or South of us.  We did get a few direct hits, so we just ended up with a dusting!  Where it did settle, the sun thawed that and even in the shade it has seemed to gradually evaporate over the last few days.

It’s a bit different  further West where elevation helped.  We went walking this week at Langsett Reservoir west of Penistone and there was about 8-10cm where it was undisturbed.

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted

Yes a weak easterly and its' going out in a fitting manner with a little drizzle right now.

Posted

Just to prove how disappointing this easterly has been look at the temp from Monday. Max 2c nearly every day. Such a shame really.

Screenshot_20210214-113022_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f1d2cb98be369e991c3a0ed4a2037aa8.jpgScreenshot_20210214-113216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dabe3bfdee0d70a77f2b421953b0f073.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Just to prove how disappointing this easterly has been look at the temp from Monday. Max 2c nearly every day. Such a shame really.

Screenshot_20210214-113022_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f1d2cb98be369e991c3a0ed4a2037aa8.jpgScreenshot_20210214-113216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dabe3bfdee0d70a77f2b421953b0f073.jpg

Agreed. Very similar here. 

Think back to how excited we were this time last week expecting a dumping of snow and freezing days. I still can't quite understand why it wasn't as good as mar 13 or 18, when it's happened a few weeks earlier. Big shame!

One thing is for sure though, it's been a learning experience. Next time we see -12s on an easterly and everyone saying in the mod thread is going to be ice days and buried in deep snow I'm not going to just believe it now. We've seen this week it isn't always the case.

Hopefully the next chance will deliver as we know they can!

Screenshot_20210214-122658.thumb.jpg.33d137aa94cdc3ce530f52e9dc56a118.jpg

Edited by Winter Cold
Added image
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Agreed. Very similar here. 

Think back to how excited we were this time last week expecting a dumping of snow and freezing days. I still can't quite understand why it wasn't as good as mar 13 or 18, when it's happened a few weeks earlier. Big shame!

One thing is for sure though, it's been a learning experience. Next time we see -12s on an easterly and everyone saying in the mod thread is going to be ice days and buried in deep snow I'm not going to just believe it now. We've seen this week it isn't always the case.

Hopefully the next chance will deliver as we know they can!

Totally agree! It was like a dead cert for usual locations but shown how different it was. 

Screenshot_20210212-161758_Facebook.thumb.jpg.eb85a2eb65ad568f5e46b664c7384924.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Temps dipped to 0.6C around midday now on the up once again back to 1.7C as mild air calmly pushed eastward. Drizzle stopped.

Posted

The house is still feeling the cold but the snow is finally beginning to thaw @ 150m in Sheffield. 
Overall lots of hope but disappointed as others have said. Expected much more with an amber warning but the lesson is that the north easterlies dont quite make it happen here - we need a true easterly. The thing is that the charts all looked like a true easterly. And also the fact that this occurred in early Feb - what happened ??‍♂️??
Overall ok but expected at least 15 cms but got a max of about 6cm.

Higher parts of Sheffield had about 10cm’s from the rain to snow event which ain’t bad.

Here’s a pic from just now - still good cover

0F8F18AD-295C-4F06-8CD0-FEACE5252AF0.jpeg

Edited by farmans
Grammer
  • Like 1