Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
1 minute ago, mike57 said:

Back garden 10 mins ago, bright sun, but no sign of melting. A few more showers this morning adding to overnight and yesterday's falls

20210209_092321.jpg

a lot of the models 2 days ago were showing nothing accumulated from there down to hornsea but they were totally wrong IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

Plenty of winter left guys. Many big falls in March in years gone by.

Posted

A few showers heading towards Barnsley but again, they seem to be dying a death as they get here. Fingers crossed we get an ice day though

Posted
5 minutes ago, oldmucker said:

a lot of the models 2 days ago were showing nothing accumulated from there down to hornsea but they were totally wrong IMO

They were wrong but models can't forecast precisely showers activity. In addition, scientific aviation traffic is around 20% less because of the virus as I've been told by a pilot. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Zak 92 said:

Hey guys I’m currently in Boston for a while so will be in this thread, here’s a video I recorded during a heavy shower earlier

IMG_1722.MOV

This is the definition of bad timing! You're missing the streamer in Leicester!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

This is the definition of bad timing! You're missing the streamer in Leicester!

Yeah I know haha but we’ve not done bad here we’re just catching the top end of the streamer

Posted

Any more knowledgeable people got any ideas why this hasn't delivered to the degree which all of the hi-res models suggested 24 hours before the event? - I'm assuming they just aren't as good at modelling easterlies and the showery regime they tend to deliver?

Looks to me that the showers just haven't travelled in land as intensely as expected so the coastal areas have done quite well but those further inland ended up with scattered showers rather than consistent snow. 

• Like 1

Posted

We managed about 1cm in the end this morning so the wait of 8 years for more than that continues. Nice to see something finally though. Beggers can't be choosers as they say!

Its quite a bit sunnier today in between showers so its already starting to melt. Hopefully the showers keep coming in to keep the thaw at bay.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, adrianh said:

Any more knowledgeable people got any ideas why this hasn't delivered to the degree which all of the hi-res models suggested 24 hours before the event? - I'm assuming they just aren't as good at modelling easterlies and the showery regime they tend to deliver?

Looks to me that the showers just haven't travelled in land as intensely as expected so the coastal areas have done quite well but those further inland ended up with scattered showers rather than consistent snow. 

Same question here. All the values seemed to be right for a major snow event so something was  over estimated. I wonder what? 

Posted
Just now, alanwh said:

Same question here. All the values seemed to be right for a major snow event so something was  over estimated. I wonder what? 

Ps thanks to those that were brave enough to give forecasts...all your input is greatly appreciated!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Heavy shower here now, covered over some of the tracks on the road, keep it coming,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
4 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Heavy shower here now, covered over some of the tracks on the road, keep it coming,

same in hornsea 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, oldmucker said:

same in hornsea 

Finally got snow on the East Coast, about time we got a turn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Dum Dum Dum..... Another one bites the dust...

0.5c already and only 11am. There goes the 2nd ice day...

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed. Todays much better for showers too. Currently under a heavy one which has covered areas where it had melted.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, adrianh said:

I thinks it's more to do with the clouds not punching too high into the air. 8k ft maximum and lower so not been able to build big towers, hence no really heavy stuff.

Funnily enough. I think the next 24 hrs are most of our best opportunity to scrape a covering in places that haven't had much.

We'll see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny dry winters, long summer nights.

As I have only been in the area for a couples years can I ask a question regarding easterlies for the East Midlands area.  Do they usually pay off or do you normally get narrow bands of showers as seen these last few days.  When I was I Kent and has been seen this time around the whole of Kent is under a massive band.  We’re we just unlucky this time or is this the norm and we do better from other setups?  Many thanks James