Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
58 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

It's a shame I find Sheffield such a depressing city because I really am tempted to move their just for the snow. Barnsley may beat you tonight however.

To be fair SB, Leeds is a pretty good place for snow as this winter has shown - we’ve had at least two very good frontal events (3 if you live in North Leeds) while most places have had very little. York just 20 miles away has seen naff all. We’ve undeniably done much better than 90% of England this winter. It’s just this particular event isn’t our time shine, unfortunately.

I mean, look at it this way - some people down south are saying 5cm is their best snowfall for 8 years. That’s dreadful! 

I don’t think Sheffield is bad either - if nothing else it has great suburbs that basically front the peaks. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

The band that's been coming in over Scunthorpe and Doncaster towards Sheffield does look as though its breaking up a little.

Yeah doesn't bode well for the rest of the night I don't think either. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong though

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
8 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Unfortunately not, they're all drifting slightly south of west so we missed it again. Its not looking great upwind at the moment, really need a straight easterly here for our best chances but don't see that happening tonight  

Yep I caught the edge of that band but then it went south gonna stop looking at radar for a few hours methinks and see if it improves later

• Like 1

Posted

What’s happened to all that stuff coming across the North Sea is that not now happening as still not showing on radar??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, CasMan said:

Yep I caught the edge of that band but then it went south gonna stop looking at radar for a few hours methinks and see if it improves later

If those showers were literally just 10 miles further north we’d he gotten a direct hit. Very frustrating.

• Like 2

Posted

Deep orange almost red echo headed towards Rotherham. The stuff in the North Sea has just loitered around in the same place, not sure what it’s doing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

That cell near donny in its way to Rotherham looks like a contender for thunder snow very active

Seems to have come out of nowhere that, I was just starting to think showers had died down a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Danns said:

Deep orange almost red echo headed towards Rotherham. The stuff in the North Sea has just loitered around in the same place, not sure what it’s doing.

Yeah looking forwards to this one! 

Ive had such good luck today! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jam said:

Come and live in our area (SW) nothing depressing about it .. 5min drive to Peak District .. this was my evening walk last night .. 7 min drive from home .. and if you like real ale then it’s Uk capital 

Love it here, lived at Hunters Bar for over 30 years

Posted
4 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

Yeah got to say from 14.00 it's been class. 

A lot better! Not quite 2010 levels but us snow starved Hullies will take it!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

First covering today took about 15mins

47D62E84-6409-45E4-946B-21613A98AB87.jpeg

Wow nothing up the motorway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
9 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Looks a beast dunt it m8!

That northern part of that shower is going to be a direct hit in a minute

i hope everyone else joins in on the snow fun as there is still plenty out to the E/NE of us all

good luck

Edit,...BLOODY HAMMERING IT DOWN,and the wind has suddenly picked up too.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

A few flakes blowing in from the decently-sized shower just to the ENE. Hopefully that'll add a smidge more. Still interest coming in off the North Sea ❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎
40 minutes ago, ryanoroo said:

Update from up’Norrrf Yorkshire way...

Pateley Bridge area of the Nidd Valley ??
lots of flurries though out the day, some small flake efforts some large flakes and persistent for maybe 30-45mins and one for maybe just over an hour (ish).

all in all snowing all day on and off, beautiful to watch but... nothing really settling and staying ??

not complaining in any way, as it’s been super fun glancing out the window to see which of the different types of snow we had as the day progressed...

maybe more through the night...

maybe not...

??❄️❄️❄️??

5BD2B268-B39C-4150-BDC0-D5405282ED5E.jpeg

What a great spot you live in. I remember going to How Stean Gorge and camping there in 1981 with the scouts, I was about 14 and loved it there. One day we climbed the three peaks and strolled though quiet villages while the royal wedding was on. It was fantastic being out in the beautiful landscape.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Stuck on the outskirts again, will have to accept this event isn't for those in my location! 

Posted

A bit of a break and then the next streamer inline for Sheffield/Rotherham possibly Doncaster and Barnsley. Beefy. 

11225B0C-BCDD-4EA5-8C9B-4D60A2151AF5.thumb.jpeg.c5494409e5ed4a80a03f04afc5ba41e9.jpeg

Edited by Danns
  • Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, bazookabob said:

I hope so, what makes you say this by the way because so far, its been a let-down, despite low expectations! Even the 2 heavy showers have left a dusting that's then melted away. The showers don't seem to be accumulating as much as they look like they should! 

I just think the shower activity currently is much better than last night and there just seems more energy, than this time yesterday.

I don't know why but in these snow shower situations from the north sea, a lot of the time it really peps up late evening/overnight! Maybe it's to do with once it gets dark it starts to get colder and rather than picking up more moisture from the sea, these big clouds over us and north sea, just come back down to earth. Could be wrong but just a theory. I just sense that somewhere could get hammered tonight. There's obviously the south yorkshire/ lincolnshire area. But I think NW leeds could get a nice surprise, over the years I've seen many times when no snow is forecast only for a streamer to come in from the north sea and deliver the goods!

• Like 1