Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

A dusting here this morning.  Light snow falling and the radar looks a bit meh but the automated forecast for here shows heavy snow all day!

I am just inside the amber warning area here so we will see.  Hope things pick up later as Scott and others have said

20210208_065528.jpg

Edited by Kentish Snowman in Yorks
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

I’ve noticed this as well.  My logic would be.... Heavier more dispersed showers tend to be more hit and miss for an individual location but more impactful where they hit.  Lower intensity more widespread showers gives more locations snow at anyone time and therefore less hit and miss so potentially more accumulation overall.  Might be flawed logic, but that would be my take.

I suppose the other aspect to consider for those of us further west, is if the showers are less intense do they stand less chance of getting right across from east to west.  The higher intensity showers are diminished by the time they reach here, so will the lighter more widespread showers actually make it here.  Those further east wouldn’t suffer this so much but would see longer periods of light snow rather than short duration heavy snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, SouthYorks said:

I suppose the other aspect to consider for those of us further west, is if the showers are less intense do they stand less chance of getting right across from east to west.  The higher intensity showers are diminished by the time they reach here, so will the lighter more widespread showers actually make it here.  Those further east wouldn’t suffer this so much but would see longer periods of light snow rather than short duration heavy snow.

I’m hoping it would be like 2018 where these lighter showers merge into one clump. I also recall those showers being heavier than the radar suggested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

1.5cm on all surfaces overnight.  Just caught the southern edge of some of the heavier showers. Looks lovely but really want to build on this and get some deep snow today.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

2cm average 1cm to 3cm here. Hopefully more later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Kirton Snowman said:

Radar says it should be snowing right now but nothing falling from the sky at all

please remember that the radar is slightly behind current time and the showers are flying through at a fair old pace.

by the time the radar says it's above you, it'll probably have already been and gone! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

2cm average 1cm to 3cm here. Hopefully more later

you're normally the one complaining you've got no snow when everyone else has loads 

congrats on probably the deepest snow around here for the moment!

Posted

Heavy snow here and looks like a long string of showers to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Morning all, slight dusting here too, and without measuring I'd guess around 2cm, fingers crossed for us all to see more intensity in the next 12-24hrs and get decent coverings I'm heading down the A1 very soon, I'll hopefully see what's really happening in the SE

Posted
1 minute ago, stupotlee said:

please remember that the radar is slightly behind current time and the showers are flying through at a fair old pace.

by the time the radar says it's above you, it'll probably have already been and gone! 

I can assure you nothing has gone through here, we don’t even have a full covering 

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

Starting to merge around Hull now, this is heading for Sheffield.

This is the convergence zone for me you can see the back building as well. 

Feel this is why the orange is there

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kirton Snowman said:

I can assure you nothing has gone through here, we don’t even have a full covering 

join the club! just been out to throw some grit on the frozen slush from Saturday night's brief covering. what little is left is a bit dodgy underfoot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nothing here, had a feeling it was going to be a bust! What a easterly! Enjoy the snow if you get it!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, stupotlee said:

join the club! just been out to throw some grit on the frozen slush from Saturday night's brief covering. what little is left is a bit dodgy underfoot!

Considering I’m literally within spitting distance of the wash, this should be a perfect set up however anything that does fall is so fine it’s more an ice pellet and half the time the radar is showing something over us and nothing falling from the sky 

Posted

Really poor effort here so far with a dusting and thats it. This is definitely another 2018 failure so far. Still lots of time to go but I must say I prefer a good northerly or north-easterly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Huddersfield having a major struggle at present.