Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

well time to call it, going to be a bust here, winds easing a touch, clear starry skies, temp dropped to just above 0c, raintoday radar not showing much either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Making landfall in the 20-30 minutes at a guess going by raintoday.co.uk

Posted

Not been on here for a loongg time. Tommorow is 30 years since the 1991 blizzard in Sheffield, when i was a child, i remember ice on inside of windows has well has out. Hope we see loads of snow over the coming days.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/looking-back-snowy-february-1991-1430286

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The whole of S Yorkshire looks to be in the firing line TBH,it's developing nicely.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

The whole of S Yorkshire looks to be in the firing line TBH,it's developing nicely.

Glad you see it too mate. Been radar watching far too long haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat

Here's hoping to have something in the York region, we've really not had anything decent all winter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Thanks Kasim. Where does orographic precipitation come into this for those like me on the eastern side of the pennines? From past experience, it's very difficult for us not to have a good dumping in situations like this. 

Ok, this post will allow me to go into a bit more detail too.

I don't see any significant orogaphic enhancement below 100 metres on the eastern side of the Pennines. Your high precipitation totals will be from being close to the sea (convection rates high), and far enough inland to allow some organisation of the precipitation. The orographic enhancement of the Pennines means some eastern slopes will see very high amounts, this due to 1) the slowing down and uplift of clouds as they reach the Pennines and 2) less evaporation with altitude. On the western slopes of the Pennines this slowing down and uplift removes a lot of the moisture from the atmosphere, meaning precipitation is lighter. This happens less if there is a convergence line (uplift - as it removes significance of the atmospheric heights affected by orographic variabilities) or if there are low heights. These both will work in favour to allow some areas W of the Pennines to see higher totals.

So putting all the above into a matrix:

1) 4-10cm widely on Eastern Pennine slopes and low lying Yorkshire. 6 inch to 1ft drifts in rural areas.

2) 10-20cm for roughly 40% of the area described above. 1-3ft drifts in rural areas.

3) 20-30cm for 20% of the area described above (Chesterfield, Ashbourne), mainly due to streamer zones, and pockets of the eastern Pennine slopes due to orogaphic enhancement. 3-4ft drifts.

4) 3-10cm on the western slopes of the Pennines above 100m and below 500m. Around 10-20cm in the streamer zones.

5) 1-4cm west of Pennines below 100m. 3-6cm very locally in any streamer zones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yaaay cant wait. Opened the wine now so will be up a while

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Following GEMS idea?

Wider like GEM but Radar bit more NE-SW rather than GEM which is more ENE-WSW, although not that much different!

A238F7B9-5DD6-49A5-B90D-324133824D64.png

5237DD9A-2C08-47EB-A785-6BB6F1EDE178.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Until those colder uppers arrive nothing is getting beyond Leeds down line of that coming in from the coast?

Maybe beyond midnight we might see that start to change?

Posted
9 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Which radar do you use Scott?

The met weather radar mate but i dont use precipitation type because you cant make out strengthening of the showers as easy. The first batch heading towards the wash are starting to explode a little in intensity now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Graupel has now turned to light snow - too light to be settling, but it's starting to come down.

When the showers beef up later, There shouldn't be an issue with it settling.

Posted
Just now, Scott Ingham said:

The met weather radar mate but i dont use precipitation type because you cant make out strengthening of the showers as easy. The first batch heading towards the wash are starting to explode a little in intensity now!

Cheers matey. I generally use rain today but will now have a look on met weather radar  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Cheers matey. I generally use rain today but will now have a look on met weather radar  

Its waaaaaay better! Look for it on app store

Posted
43 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Vorticity (convection) is building now, and will continue to build overnight. It will remain highest over Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire and South Derbyshire which are currently favoured for high totals of 10-20cm. Locally 25cm can't be ruled out in the vicinity of this area, say Chesterfield or south Sheffield area.

Sorry to hijack this thread ha but this just pipped my interest. Is Derby itself looking to be in the sweet zone. It’s very close potentially it seems. Most annoying when it gets stuck up around Chesterfield

Just now, HellItsHot said:

It’s the wind that is far more apparent than any snow atm. To be fair if the snow does come it will be blizzardy. If blizzardy is a word. 

Yes, I see what you mean - showers in strong winds and very low dew points producing temporary blizzard-like conditions

May be experienced from a cold showery feed where blizzard parameters (intensity, visibility) fall short in both their magnitude and duration due to the light nature of showers.

You will call it a full blizzard if a streamer reaches, esp above 200 metres

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

OK guys off to bed as my alarm is set for 5am for work

good luck tomorrow and i am sure there will be plenty of drama.

night.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Derbyboy said:

Sorry to hijack this thread ha but this just pipped my interest. Is Derby itself looking to be in the sweet zone. It’s very close potentially it seems. Most annoying when it gets stuck up around Chesterfield

It is looking so. North Derby is looking somewhat better than South Derby.