Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hullsnow87 said:

Scott kasim what are your thoughts on depth of snow for hull and East Riding thanks.

Same as yesterday mate 8-15cms tonight into tomorrow with some more moderate top ups tuesday and wednesday bringing a total between 10 and 20 by the end

• Like 3

Posted

I’ve read a few times that the radar underestimates PPN in situations like this one. Today has been the opposite, the radar’s looked decent but in real life very little. 

Tonight is one of those times when you prayed the snow came to get a day off school.  ?? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow
1 minute ago, HellItsHot said:

I’ve read a few times that the radar underestimates PPN in situations like this one. Today has been the opposite, the radar’s looked decent but in real life very little. 

Tonight is one of those times when you prayed the snow came to get a day off school.  ?? 

I'm praying

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Latest GFS Ens Mean now keeps us at or below zero for 10 days.  That is a significant extension of the cold from only a few days ago.

3326EE15-D918-49F5-B1AA-3ED4ABEA7D32.png

And really just for fun, the GEM goes bonkers with laying snow out to day 10!

D0D004F5-C6D2-4BD1-BEA1-0A3D11B9DA77.png

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Tim A said:

I am hoping for a mass of showers across the region, really angry looking ones , like 2018, but I am a bit worried we may miss anything heavy here. Euro 4 does look good though.

Currently a dusting from a shower this evening , light snow most of the day but didn't amount to much other than a bit on high level surfaces 

When do you think is our best chance round here Tim? Is it a case of just waiting to see what pops up? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Latest GFS Ens Mean now keeps us at or below zero for 10 days.  That is a significant extension of the cold from only a few days ago.

3326EE15-D918-49F5-B1AA-3ED4ABEA7D32.png

And really just for fun, the GEM goes bonkers with laying snow out to day 10!

D0D004F5-C6D2-4BD1-BEA1-0A3D11B9DA77.png

This post has cheered me up 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
19 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Same as yesterday mate 8-15cms tonight into tomorrow with some more moderate top ups tuesday and wednesday bringing a total between 10 and 20 by the end

You sound upbeat mate, plenty of the white stuff heading your way and I'm upbeat to, white stuff, blue stuff and Reds stuffed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
22 hours ago, fazzafarrand said:

Yes born and bred Stretford moved to Normanton nearly 19 years as ago

Good man what a waste though! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes another strong GEFS isn't it, and a good set of 12zs really!

No warm up for us in Yorkshire now, at least at the surface

We should hold onto the snow we get this week for quite a while. Then maybe more to come next week if things align well! ❄️

• Like 6

Posted

There is a wild card thrown in the mix for parts of west and north yokshire or anyone on the eastern upslopes of the pennines.

I mentioned it the other day as models/ data showed hints of this, As cold air from the east picks up moisture from the relatively milder north sea it is sent upwards as it hit's the pennines, quickly cools and falls back down as snow to us lucky lot on the eastern side.  An actual Adiabatic cooling event.

We would not have to look east to the north sea for showers, precipitation would just start to show up over western parts of our region, this would expand east and intensify. Certainly something to watch out for! And the beauty of this is it does not show up on a fax chart. These fax chart's are only showing your standard streamer from east to west!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
45 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

FAX chart for 12z tomorrow doesn't actually have a CZ in place, seems to develop later. It's an easy thing to get hung up on as it'll be the source of enhanced shower activity, but perhaps it isn't so important for the pep up later tonight and into tomorrow morning?

Correct and then day by day all shifts north to South. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cowdog said:

I am but we live 100km away from you North Yorkshire is very big.

Really sod all snow here today, the showers have just not been strong enough at all to do anything anywhere it seems.

Nothing here today either - fingers crossed for tomorrow but I think it’s too far south; either that or Sutton Bank nabs all ours  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Also satellite may be worth checking in this regard, look for thickening cloud over the pennines or just east.

I notice precipitation usually peps up and intensifies as it comes towards this side of the pennines.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

You sound upbeat mate, plenty of the white stuff heading your way and I'm upbeat to, white stuff, blue stuff and Reds stuffed.

Theres every reason to be really weve got a potent 3 day easterly that can deliver anywhere north or south and an extension of the cold

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

When do you think is our best chance round here Tim? Is it a case of just waiting to see what pops up? 

Difficult to say, but tomorrow evening into Tuesday morning might be the best chance , Euro 4 shows more showers around then and Met Office automated is generally better then too.  Early hours tomorrow morning perhaps too, to a lesser extent.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Theres every reason to be really weve got a potent 3 day easterly that can deliver anywhere north or south and an extension of the cold

And a potent team at the top.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

The only streamers I can see are in Scotland and the and the South east on the radar. Very patchy in our area 

Edited by swfc

Posted

Looking at the streamer potential it does look like it has moved south a touch. This takes it right over north Notts north lincs border. Kind off the area that did well in 2010. I think I'm seeing that right anyway.....

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

And a round two if GFS is leading the way

Edited by Craigers
  • Like 2

Posted

This has to be the biggest let down winter wise IMBY for a long time, we have a fantastic set up but everything that could go wrong to scupper it has! I think we’ll be lucky to get a covering I think!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Just back from enjoying the salty scouser tears - we had a brief graupel shower about 20 minutes ago but it looks a bit patchy on radar for the next hour or two, so probably little else for here before bedtime. Still, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Posted

Might be wishful thinking but the radar seems to be filling a little with light precipitation over us , hopefully this can pep up like further north.

My concern is why is it warmer than forecast. It is ok here at -0.2c (Met office automated said it should be -2c now earlier) but in the Vale of York Linton on Ooze is 1.8c.  Any light showers will not be accumulating there now even though it is after dark.

Edited by Tim A
Error
  • Like 1