Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Seeing sleet between Gainsborough and Horncastle in the next batch. Any idea how high that area is.

Also any temp reports between 100-300m so we can track the current snowline.

2 minutes ago, Craigers said:

You think The GEM streamer has some traction? 

Yes. Arpege, Wrf, Euro4 etc now calling for this convergence zone / streamer. I am highly confident.

Snowing here now. Plus heavy ppn to the east of the Peaks is heading towards us. This should bring a good covering above 300m and some heavy wet snow below.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
1 minute ago, Tinker Bell said:

Don’t they just! You usually do better in Beverley, bit more height I guess 

Not much :-) The bottom of the town is at 2, asl and here it's 19m - base of Westwood. Everywhere else is between the two, but everything East of the railway is at 2m or below, as is much of Hull. Pretty low-lying compared to the west.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Thank you Kasim. But what about Huddersfield/Wakefield area? Surely with orographic lift and elevation anywhere around pennines, will do well anyway? As shown by accumalation charts?

Yep batch precip at least 3-8cm

Streamer may reach you eventually

Sheffield and Chesterfield favoured for it

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes. Arpege, Wrf, Euro4 etc now calling for this convergence zone / streamer. I am highly confident.

Snowing here now. Plus heavy ppn to the east of the Peaks is heading towards us. This should bring a good covering above 300m and some heavy wet snow below.

What is your height?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Seeing sleet between Gainsborough and Horncastle in the next batch. Any idea how high that area is.

Also any temp reports between 100-300m so we can track the current snowline.

That's about 30 miles! I guess it probably tops out at about 400 feet at the highest point.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yep batch precip at least 3-8cm

Streamer may reach you eventually

Sheffield and Chesterfield favoured for it

How much shower activity should areas in northern Lincolnshire area see mate? Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

2.6c with dewpoint 1.3c... steadily dropping... ❄️

Posted
13 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

This model had it spot on 2 days ago! Can't believe how well this looks. 

Screenshot_20210204-231121_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Nice . Only 45 hours out. 

45-574UK.gif

Unbelievable consistency!

• Like 2

Posted

Still chucking it down here. Heavy snow now forecast for Monday, but no one seems to have the faintest idea about what’s going to happen between now and then. 

Got a big Sunday out at the dentist tomorrow so I’ll be gutted if that’s disrupted. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
32 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

The ground is so sodden here. I remember the mid January snow event, it was so sodden then and settled absolutly fine. Hope it is same again. I know the theory of wet ground doesnt bode well for snow to stick but we know its not true. Anyone know why it still settles when its so sodden? In simple terms, i guess its to do with ground been cold enough and slush forms on the surface, aiding snow to eventually settle. 

Not an expert but I think dew points are crucial, they will be dropping so far below zero as the snow arrives that the moisture in the ground will freeze quite quickly. Plus the snow falling onto it helps lower the temperature of the water more quickly, helping it freeze even quicker. So then the snow is settling onto ice and will not melt on contact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no
6 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

2.4C, DP 1.7C. Not so confident for North Yorkshire. Will need a huge northern trajectory of the streamers to get something decent. 

The Gem has been adamant over a good few runs now that the streamer that sets up south of Humber will be nudged North and be over North Yorkshire for around a day before sinking back south.

The low to the south ( undercutting ) causes this .. have a look at the gem precipitation frame by frame and you can see this in action. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Yo can kiss goodbye to Spring once this bad boy sets up

image.thumb.png.8b4142ac94c3954c010a272a0ea3b342.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 minute ago, bazookabob said:

Not an expert but I think dew points are crucial, they will be dropping so far below zero as the snow arrives that the moisture in the ground will freeze quite quickly. Plus the snow falling onto it helps lower the temperature of the water more quickly, helping it freeze even quicker. So then the snow is settling onto ice and will not melt on contact. 

Thank you for that. Make perfect sense. I guess the conditions are perfect for it then. Explains why some instances it doesnt settle well on wet surfaces because of the different coiditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Sweet Jesus at the 12z run! Omg guys the fun and games have barely begun! So exciting! Makes the lockdown more bearable and a definite end in site to a horrible 12 months. 

• Like 2