Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

Update 10.55

Cold air, along with snow showers to low levels pushing inland from the North Sea, is expected to spread south during the weekend. Not all locations will see snow, with the showers likely to miss some places altogether. In addition to the showers, there is a potential that an extended period of more persistent snowfall could impact parts of the East Midlands overnight Saturday and through Sunday. This is all likely to bring areas of accumulating snow through the period with some icy stretches developing, with many parts seeing 2-5 cm of snow, with 10-15 cm possible, especially above 200 m in northern England and Scotland.

Are them depths just for sat and Sunday night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

I promised Craigers to try and link in to my article on the Nov-Dec 2010 snow event. Since then several others have asked for it so I'll drop it in the main local thread.

Snowfall of 30 November into 1 December in this area.doc 1.81 MB · 31 downloads

Thanks for sharing this John, it’s a great read and gives us amateurs a few more pointers in what to look out for in the various charts over the coming days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
21 minutes ago, Craigers said:

ICON 6Z sends the low back north on Monday!!! NOW WERE TALKING

overview_20210205_06_060.thumb.jpg.67ec1ca84dbc5a9267bd3adbdcaf712d.jpgoverview_20210205_06_081.thumb.jpg.e155cb238bcdc1f86504186267c8e96e.jpgoverview_20210205_06_084.thumb.jpg.cfc46e9188b887dced3858ec488904f5.jpg

That's an interesting new wrinkle! 

A good example why the there's little benefit from hanging off every GFS run with this thing getting within the 36 hour range. I'm going to log off now, go for a walk, watch something dumb on Netflix and come back tomorrow morning when I can actually look at radar and Hi-res stuff like Euro4. 

Edited by Just Before Dawn
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Can someone educate me as to what these show? I know it's fantasy land, but the poster in the models suggests these are good charts, but to my ignorant untrained eye it looks warmer than the current ones.....?

image.thumb.png.ba7d1e0e9741b37cba25d82675564337.png

image.thumb.png.c459f0858e7ee0ea4b5597ad5faa17ff.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Also, what's the effect, if any, of that low moving back north with NE or ENE winds blowing off the North Sea?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Also, what's the effect, if any, of that low moving back north with NE or ENE winds blowing off the North Sea?

If the low moves back northwards the showers become bands of snow and be more sustained than showers.

Screenshot_20210205-113757_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cd24c29b69b726392961a747cfa3640b.jpg

Edited by Craigers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Craigers said:

ICON 6Z sends the low back north on Monday!!! NOW WERE TALKING

overview_20210205_06_060.thumb.jpg.67ec1ca84dbc5a9267bd3adbdcaf712d.jpgoverview_20210205_06_081.thumb.jpg.e155cb238bcdc1f86504186267c8e96e.jpgoverview_20210205_06_084.thumb.jpg.cfc46e9188b887dced3858ec488904f5.jpg

That’s an interesting one to watch!  

My very amateur understanding is that the further this pushes North, the less impact we will see from streamers in our region as these will also be pushed further North.  I’ve also read, but don’t understand why, but there is likely to be a gap in ppn between the snow from the low and the streamers.  Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain the reason for this...?  

I guess what we don’t want is the snow to push up from the South, not reach us, but push the streamers North as well!

I think this illustrates to an extent what I’m trying to say...

56DFAF42-C37F-41E1-9C70-3438EEBD79C1.png

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted

Take a look in the nw thread at Ineritus explanation on the type of showers we're likely to receive. Great explanation of the physics.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

That’s an interesting one to watch!  

My very amateur understanding is that the further this pushes North, the less impact we will see from streamers in our region as these will also be pushed further North.  I’ve also read, but don’t understand why, but there is likely to be a gap in ppn between the snow from the low and the streamers.  Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain the reason for this...?  

I guess what we don’t want is the snow to push up from the South, not reach us, but push the streamers North as well!

I think this illustrates to an extent what I’m trying to say...

56DFAF42-C37F-41E1-9C70-3438EEBD79C1.png

Yes ideally we don't want to be stuck in the no mans land in the middle. Either properly north (not just the edge of it) or as south as possible so the showers get going quicker!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny dry winters, long summer nights.

Hi all moved up from Kent to Lincolnshire a couple of years ago.  Just swapped the mod thread to regional midlands thread and couldn’t quite understand why they were say no snow when to me looked like the models were showing snow for my region, apparently they said being as I’m in Lincolnshire is should be in this thread is that correct?

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Salem said:

Hi all moved up from Kent to Lincolnshire a couple of years ago.  Just swapped the mod thread to regional midlands thread and couldn’t quite understand why they were say no snow when to me looked like the models were showing snow for my region, apparently they said being as I’m in Lincolnshire is should be in this thread is that correct?

Yes you are in the right place. Best regional thread on here 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny dry winters, long summer nights.
Just now, Tinker Bell said:

Yes you are in the right place. Best regional thread on here 

Ahh great! Thank you hopefully we’ll all seem some snow, it be my Little ones  first ever snowfall so after the year he’s had be a great distraction.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Running the gauntlet tomorrow as we need to drop F.I.L.'s shopping off up in N. Yorks borders (up the A65?)

We aim to be home by 6pm but I wince every little shift west that the late afternoon snow forecasts make!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

I wonder if the Lincs coast snow shield will hold firm as it has so far right through this winter?

Posted

I think we are still some way off determining how far North the snow will get in Sunday.  To compare a few models

At +48

AABBA7B8-EBE0-4C1C-AB9F-E17A1F926A0E.png

9C110399-8410-4D21-8657-2E398FA9291F.png

19764D92-1A4E-49CB-A4EE-D0901654D0FB.png

At +54

67365627-D06F-43BB-96C7-8086A2C95651.png

BC5231E1-31C9-41B5-82DB-5367996138E3.png

To my eye, ICON is furthest North with this feature and the hi-res Euro4 furthest South.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, SouthYorks said:

I think we are still some way off determining how far North the snow will get in Sunday.  To compare a few models

At +48

AABBA7B8-EBE0-4C1C-AB9F-E17A1F926A0E.png

9C110399-8410-4D21-8657-2E398FA9291F.png

19764D92-1A4E-49CB-A4EE-D0901654D0FB.png

At +54

67365627-D06F-43BB-96C7-8086A2C95651.png

BC5231E1-31C9-41B5-82DB-5367996138E3.png

And see the band of emptiness north of the low. I'd rather it skoot off down se and get us all in the convection tbh.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bill Larkin said:

I wonder if the Lincs coast snow shield will hold firm as it has so far right through this winter?

I hope not I want to walk on a snowy beach at least once this year!

Posted
1 minute ago, joggs said:

And see the band of emptiness north of the low. I'd rather it skoot off down se and get us all in the convection tbh.

Agreed!  Too high risk, as I think it wouldn’t get far enough North to be material in terms of snowfall but would kill the streamers for our region!

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, alibabba said:

I hope not I want to walk on a snowy beach at least once this year!

So do I, but it’s snowed everywhere else in Lincs bar this area this winter. Maybe it will make up for our earlier losses this time around. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bill Larkin said:

So do I, but it’s snowed everywhere else in Lincs bar this area this winter. Maybe it will make up for our earlier losses this time around. 

I know...I've watched friends on the other side of the country with loads of snow in envy! Fingers crossed from tomorrow night lots of looking out the window and radar watching for me lol

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alibabba said:

I know...I've watched friends on the other side of the country with loads of snow in envy! Fingers crossed from tomorrow night lots of looking out the window and radar watching for me lol

You didn’t need to go to the other side of the country to find snow. There’s been several bouts of lying snow 5 miles west of here on the Wolds and almost everywhere else in the county. It just didn’t like the coast this winter for some reason. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, joggs said:

Same! I think we can take better advantage of the streamers tbh