Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
25 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

okay, I'll try and sort something out tomorrow morning. If I manage to sort it I'll send you a pm when its ready.

cheers

John

Thank you John really appreciate it  

Posted
3 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Look at these charts from real weather!

Massive convergence zone over middle of the humber.

received_746016979362094.thumb.jpeg.05d87a227a721a1c0775529d02484ece.jpegScreenshot_20210204-230240_Messenger.thumb.jpg.36940205b212d7bd269da399e52c4f13.jpg

I must be dreaming

Posted

This was East Hull December 2010..how I wish we could see that much again! Not expecting that much this time round, just enough to get the sledges out for the youngest kids who have never seen snow before.

Photo123.jpg

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wilkybarkid said:

I must be dreaming

That just shows why the ppn charts show the steamer for days

20210204_231247.jpg.ee47e0246d4bed34940ee47a003e5f70.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

It started 30 Nov 2010 around 1730 in Doncaster and lasted until 0830 on the 1 December. By then I had 35 cm on my drive, the highest total for the Doncaster area using my stats from 1997 and RAF Finningley 1942-1995. I asked all on Net Wx to send in snow data to try and get an idea of where had the most snow, the picc below is the chart I ended up with. I have 16 pages on this, charts, photos, video etc, and used it to give a talk to R Met Soc at Leeds.

If anyone would like the full 16 pages I can try and send it via pm?

image.thumb.png.26d945ccc84a679591d79c75a4b1b287.png

I hope you'll make a similar chart at the end of this event interesting to see.

Are cloud heights any higher than a few days.

Posted
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

It started 30 Nov 2010 around 1730 in Doncaster and lasted until 0830 on the 1 December. By then I had 35 cm on my drive, the highest total for the Doncaster area using my stats from 1997 and RAF Finningley 1942-1995. I asked all on Net Wx to send in snow data to try and get an idea of where had the most snow, the picc below is the chart I ended up with. I have 16 pages on this, charts, photos, video etc, and used it to give a talk to R Met Soc at Leeds.

If anyone would like the full 16 pages I can try and send it via pm?

image.thumb.png.26d945ccc84a679591d79c75a4b1b287.png

I love this John.

Brings back memories of a walk home from work in large depths due to not being able to get back in a car!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Locally 2009 and 2010 didn't beat a foot. Around 6-7 inches in 2009 (I think) and 7 inches in 2010. Hoping to see some impressive depths over the coming week or so.

Can I get excited yet? I wonder if the potential is there to beat the Yorkshire Dump of Jan 95?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Locally 2009 and 2010 didn't beat a foot. Around 6-7 inches in 2009 (I think) and 7 inches in 2010. Hoping to see some impressive depths over the coming week or so.

Can I get excited yet? I wonder if the potential is there to beat the Yorkshire Dump of Jan 95?

I recall around 6 inches in both Feb and Dec 2009, around 8 inches in Jan 2010, and finally 10-11 inches in December 2010.

I highly doubt we’ll exceed the 45cm in Jan 1995, unless we get stuck under a streamer that lasts for days (possible I suppose but not likely).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

I recall around 6 inches in both Feb and Dec 2009, around 8 inches in Jan 2010, and finally 10-11 inches in December 2010.

I highlighted doubt we’ll exceed the 45cm in Jan 1995.

I'd be happy with 30cm. That would make it locally the deepest since 95. The only place I could get an accurate measurement on was my motorbike cover. Now as i'm furloughed, i'd just use the snow on the work car for a measurement.

Posted

Winter 09 I don't have a measurement for so I doubt it was much above 10cm in the December or January (did get 9cm in winters 04, 05 and 06).

Jan 10 saw my record at 29cm and Dec 10 holds number 2 at 23cm. The key here is that these were multiple events that piled and froze.

The more realistic targets are 16cm+ in Jan 13 (did not get to measure before the melt after the final front so may have breached 20cm) and 12cm in 2018 (though this was in LS12 so less height than the other readings and more urban).

LS12 has hit 7cm max this winter, BD11 has hit 12cm.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

According to computer automated forecasts (which i think are teabag!) 

It shows light snow from saturday night until wednesday morning  

Screenshot_20210205-011038_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210205-011049_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Hey everyone I'm new to posting but I've been watching in the background for a few years now! Slightly cold weather obsessed I've been watching the model thread and it seems like a lot of the excitement is further south? Does anyone know what we might expect up here in West Yorkshire?

Posted

Just to keep things into perspective. Fax chart has no troughs ect on and met warning saying some places will miss the snow showers.

Posted
3 hours ago, Pewkzii said:

Hey everyone I'm new to posting but I've been watching in the background for a few years now! Slightly cold weather obsessed I've been watching the model thread and it seems like a lot of the excitement is further south? Does anyone know what we might expect up here in West Yorkshire?

Welcome to the ride  I will leave your answer to the experts on here we have some great members who will lead the way on the day. But what I’ve learnt in these kinds of setups it will come down nowcasting on the day. Will be plenty of opportunity’s with showers coming in off the coast from Saturday evening and  no doubt features will pop up as the week goes on.

Edited by Love Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Saturday:

Rain turning to showers, these will increasingly turn to snow, even to lower levels later in the day. Feeling cold in strong easterly winds, with gales on coasts. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Further snow showers expected through the next few days, and feeling cold through this period in often strong easterly winds. However some bright spells are possible in between the showers.

Updated: 04:00 (UTC) on Fri 5 Feb 2021

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Overnight run from the GEM is peach showing a Humber streamer, sourced all the way from the Baltic Sea,  starting on Monday morning and running for over 50 hours in broadly the same location.  If this sets up as predicted by the GEM whoever gets under it is going to get copious amounts of snow!

19A10C92-69F9-4F88-9F12-3B84F5EBFCCB.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

This is an exceptional post and spot!

Thank you Scott. Hope it plays out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
44 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Overnight run from the GEM is peach showing a Humber streamer, sourced all the way from the Baltic Sea,  starting on Monday morning and running for over 50 hours in broadly the same location.  If this sets up as predicted by the GEM whoever gets under it is going to get copious amounts of snow!

19A10C92-69F9-4F88-9F12-3B84F5EBFCCB.png

Ah the Baltic streamer. I mentioned it a day or so back. On the meteociel rain radar you can track them. They appear over the Baltic then dissappear over land and reignite over the North sea. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Saturday then

image.thumb.png.4f2bb3dfd7d74e94dedfb5e8c137ddb0.png

• Like 5

Posted

This was 2010 at my location A57 totally blocked for a few days. Was working in Worksop at the time and had to walk the last mile or so as couldn't get any further by car. I have always said to my wife I doubt we'll ever see snow like that again, but would be happy to be proven wrong . The kids look at these pictures and say they wish they could see snow like that. Here's hoping for a good dumping during this spell.

Screenshot_20210205-080157~2.png

Screenshot_20210205-080133~2.png

Screenshot_20210205-075851~2.png

Screenshot_20210205-075908~2.png

Screenshot_20210205-075924~2.png

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, steelermark said:

Don’t post often on here despite being around for 15 years + but this was our back garden in Chesterfield on 1st Dec 2010. What an event that was. 

474B6BF0-E754-4945-8BE0-04AA7DB6A764.jpeg

What a night that was. When I got up about 5ish I looked out the window and I thought the van I used to use for work had been nicked! Could hardly see it and it felt like the house had sunk by about a foot. No work that day. 

I hope for something similar this time around, but looking at the mod thread, some of the early signs at least  for my part of Lincs aren’t good. I’m hoping the showers pick up fairly quickly on Sunday.