Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
5 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

puts sledge back in the shed, very underwhelming forecast from Met and bbc for snow, chilly and cloudy at best once the rain clears on saturday night

Oh no why what did they say? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, reef said:

I'm going the cautious route until I see the radar on the day because as 2018 proved, nothing is guaranteed. That was literally the perfect setup but we barely managed 1cm here throughout the entire spell.

In my experience, for around here what we don't want is that front being positioned too far north or it will kill off any shower activity. Uppers are -10C so for the immediate lowland areas close to the coast its going to be getting to 2-3C during the day so if the showers are light they wont accumulate as much then. The easterlies in 2010 and 2013 were quite similar, with very slow thaws during the day.

I think as long as the wind has a slight northerly component we'll be fine. If we start getting a more ESE direction (as seems to be the case on Tues) the longer sea track will favour areas further north and we'll lose the showers here.

I remember 2018 pal you was extremely unlucky with what set up and I felt for you buddy.. but like you say caution is required as models find it extremely hard to pin point these sort of set ups. Fingers crossed for you this year pal

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Paul said:

Here you go:

1stdec2010.png

I remember that day really well as all the buses in Leeds were cancelled. About 16cm fell, on top of what fell on the 27th-30th of November, resulting in close to a foot of level snow.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

puts sledge back in the shed, very underwhelming forecast from Met and bbc for snow, chilly and cloudy at best once the rain clears on saturday night

Is this a wind up post? 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

I remember that day really well as all the buses in Leeds were cancelled. About 16cm fell, on top of what fell on the 27th-30th of November, resulting in close to a foot of level snow.

I’m fairly sure your thinking of Dec 2nd which was the day we peaked and it snowed all day (probably started on the 1st).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Losing a lot of snow symbols for my area hour by hour on the MetO! 

Stop stealing my snow symbols or im going to start throwing teddys around

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Is this a wind up post? 

not at all mate, a very dry week is forecast going by the met and bbc online, maybe a bit of light snow for a time early sunday, then dry till thursday, met say same but possible sleet on sunday evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I’m fairly sure your thinking of Dec 2nd which was the day we peaked and it snowed all day (probably started on the 1st).

According to the Yorkshire Evening Post it was definitely the 1st. 
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/retro/day-snow-brought-leeds-and-west-yorkshire-standstill-1327692

image.thumb.jpeg.5db5c5903523fa3ab65857e50d5775d5.jpeg

Edited by cheese

Posted
Just now, sparky1972 said:

not at all mate, a very dry week is forecast going by the met and bbc online, maybe a bit of light snow for a time early sunday, then dry till thursday, met say same but possible sleet on sunday evening.

Don't take it at face value, those automated graphics and forecasts change by the day and are often completely wrong, I don't pay any attention to them at all. 

• Like 4

As the snow will likely fall mainly from showers/streamers, nowcasting will be your friend. 

Those relentlessly tracking ever-changing app and TV forecasts will go mad.

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

According to the Yorkshire Evening Post it was definitely the 1st. 

It looks like your correct. I maybe forgot the 1st and only remember the 2nd when I measured once it stopped.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

2010 was unbelievable for Scunthorpe... 

Total snow fall would have been massive 

After 1 overnight dumping we went to our local park where there was 50+cm of snow 

We didn't have a single vehicle down our street for several day until a 4x4 managed to get down. 

Amazing time especially as I was on my 10 days off .. 

• Like 1

Posted

The weight of snow was so great in Scunthorpe in 2010 that the roof of the newly opened Tesco superstore collapsed:

Tesco-Scunthorpe1-600x414.jpg
WWW.CONSTRUCTIONENQUIRER.COM

Engineers have been called in by Tesco to investigate how the canopy roof of its Scunthorpe store collapsed after heavy snow

Something for the newly opened Aldi in Brigg to aspire to next week!

• Like 1

Posted

Ok so I’m really starting to feel hopeful we may just see some snow here, it’s been up and down for the last few weeks in search of possible snow or at least some showers but all it’s done is rain rain rain, I try not to get my hopes up too much as often ends in disappointment but I can’t help but feel this may just be a spell worth getting excited about.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Craigers said:

Just to show what Sunday onwards could look like on radar. This was 2009 Easterly with the E/NE flow. Look how the streams hit Yorkshire and gives you an idea what could happen. 

received_1021787311563969.thumb.jpeg.d6d2837203513d04a92fb72b046e7ddd.jpeg

Am I right in thinking otley is near the nose lol. Often in these situations I'm looking towards york for our next shower.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Am I right in thinking otley is near the nose lol. Often in these situations I'm looking towards york for our next shower.

Haha think so yeah. Same goes for South Yorkshire when the Humber streamer comes alive. CANT WAIT ?

• Like 2

Posted

It started 30 Nov 2010 around 1730 in Doncaster and lasted until 0830 on the 1 December. By then I had 35 cm on my drive, the highest total for the Doncaster area using my stats from 1997 and RAF Finningley 1942-1995. I asked all on Net Wx to send in snow data to try and get an idea of where had the most snow, the picc below is the chart I ended up with. I have 16 pages on this, charts, photos, video etc, and used it to give a talk to R Met Soc at Leeds.

If anyone would like the full 16 pages I can try and send it via pm?

image.thumb.png.26d945ccc84a679591d79c75a4b1b287.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

GFS is a huge upgrade for shower activity sunday. Shows most of yorkshire getting pummeled by snow showers! ❄️

Also interesting, I'm surprised no ones mentioned it yet, first signs of orographic lift showing on charts. Look at this bad boy:

1778366758_gfs-2-60(1).thumb.png.0585c98a091386b33fae7ce9968ba610.png

Look at how the precipitation towards the east coast is a lot lighter, but eastern side of pennines heavy precipitation. clouds building as cold air picks up moisture from the rather mild north sea. Sent upwards as it hit's the pennines, quickly cools and falls back down as snow to us lucky lot on the eastern side.  An actual Adiabatic cooling event.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 7

Posted

Remember Dec 2009 think it was about week before christmas Saturday evening we hit the bullseye with an streamer in Hull biggest flakes ever seen lasted an couple of hours i remember it well was an christmas night out in Hull city centre. Was an nightmare getting home think i was in t shirt to wouldnt dare do that these days not that we can go out. What is the best wind direction for snow would it be ENE flow usually the holy grail here or NE winds