Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

52 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

Really must stop watching the BBC forecasts, I'm always left feeling a bit deflated . Paul Hudson showed just cloud symbols for Sheffield for Monday and Tuesday. I know I shouldn't take it too literally but after seeing the potential for plenty of snow next week, it's frustrating. 

Yeh, I'm not looking at snow forecast now. Like you everything I'm seeing seems to be either north of the Humber or South of the Humber just avoiding North Lincolnshire

I know that we should take snow amounts and forecast with a pinch of salt but you still can't help but think we will miss out. Especially as I've made the stupid error of telling family to prepare fir snow ❄ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

When looking at the automated guides remember that any 3 hour forecast below 1mm is probably just cloud so ignore it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Yes underwhelming wording on the warnings, I didn't spot any mention of the snow Saturday night and then it was light snow showers giving 1-4cm on low ground for Monday, that's if you get any at all according to METO. I think I need to hear encouragement from Scott and Kasim please  

• Like 2

Posted

I wouldn't stress over the warnings too much - they often seem to be miles off/slow particularly when it comes to easterlies.  During the 2018 Beast from the East, we had a good 20cm of snow on the ground before we finally got upgraded to an amber warning. A shift south (or north) of that initial low would be nice though just so we don't have a dry area over some of our region on Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
3 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Screenshot_20210204_114056_com.twitter.android.jpg

Yeah, I saw the other day with the latest snowfall that predicting it outside of a 100% snowstorm is very difficult and they often get it wrong. In my area it went from being sleety rain to heavy snow just hours before it was actually due. They then said it would snow up until 11am/12pm, but it stopped about 9.30am as the front whistled through. Many people must have opened their curtains and wondered what had happened!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
5 minutes ago, adrianh said:

I wouldn't stress over the warnings too much - they often seem to be miles off/slow particularly when it comes to easterlies.  During the 2018 Beast from the East, we had a good 20cm of snow on the ground before we finally got upgraded to an amber warning. A shift south (or north) of that initial low would be nice though just so we don't have a dry area over some of our region on Sunday.

Was just going to post the same thing! The warning is just a placeholder and a 'watch this space' alert at this point. The warnings for Today/Tuesday will change multiple times between now and Sunday. It's genuinely not worth getting stressed about at this stage.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Was just going to post the same thing! The warning is just a placeholder and a 'watch this space' alert at this point. The warnings for Today/Tuesday will change multiple times between now and Sunday. It's genuinely not worth getting stressed about at this stage.

If you go on to the BBC or MetO site and search for locations further down south where more snow is supposed to fall, there's plenty of places showing exactly the same sort of forecast as in my location (light snow showers). It's all a bit generic until they can nail down the details. That said we could still miss out, weather can be a funny thing

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, joggs said:

Years ago he loved a cold ramp. Not seen him for a while tbh. Must admit, I'm not expecting inches all over the region so hope to be surprised lol.

He got caught up in the failed Easterly fiasco and seemed to tone everything down since then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We need to keep in mind that convective snowfall is much harder to forecast than frontal snowfall. I’m sure many places in our region will get a decent dumping of snow but it’s impossible to say where exactly.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes, some are panicking a bit.

As a general rule if you got snow in Feb 18 and Nov 10 then you’ll probably do well from this. Both were persistent flows with uppers in the -10C or lower region and similar direction.

Theres not much that shouts dud given the history of easterlies since 2005 even in West Yorkshire (most are not dry at sub 1030mb).

To put it this way, I have become quite conservative over the last decade when it comes to weather events and generally urge caution but here in LS12 (relatively low ground, close to a large city Center), I would be fairly surprised if we get to Wednesday and I have not measured double digits.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

We need to keep in mind that convective snowfall is much harder to forecast than frontal snowfall. I’m sure many places in our region will get a decent dumping of snow but it’s impossible to say where exactly.

More than that think all the none short range models don't really factor it in the UK set-up as its just impossible to predict amounts other than it will happen. Short ranges are the best guess at likelihood for it and all of them seem to be going for showers from Saturday night onwards that get fully over the Pennines i.e. everywhere in this region will get some. Snow is near enough always now cast but convective really is radar / lamppost watching.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Icy days

Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker.  Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the knowledgeable people posting in this thread.  Its really refreshing to see everyone discussing the weather like grown-ups.  I think I'll just stick to this thread from now on.

Looking forward to some interesting model watching and then hopefully some serious snow over the weekend and next week.  After the three snow events we've already had in Harrogate this year, I think 2021 could go down as a classic.

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, HarrogatePete said:

Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker.  Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the knowledgeable people posting in this thread.  Its really refreshing to see everyone discussing the weather like grown-ups.  I think I'll just stick to this thread from now on.

Looking forward to some interesting model watching and then hopefully some serious snow over the weekend and next week.  After the three snow events we've already had in Harrogate this year, I think 2021 could go down as a classic.

Welcome to the best regional page

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

looks further north which is better for us not so good for them in Kent

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, CasMan said:

looks further north which is better for us not so good for them in Kent

Pattern has clearly shifted north 100 miles.. yup looks better for us

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Will the Yorkshire Wolds finally see some decent snow this winter, all we've had is rain, so much so that springs are starting to pop already!

Posted

Latest GFS is an absolute bulls eye for snow shower activity and streamers after the weekend, For north/west yorkshire. 

All we need now is no big changes, wind alignment absolutely perfect.

gfs-2-108.png

gfs-0-108.png

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

Latest GFS is an absolute bulls eye for snow shower activity and streamers after the weekend, For north/west yorkshire. 

All we need now is no big changes, wind alignment absolutely perfect.

gfs-2-108.png

gfs-0-108.png

Cough* lol south yorkshire would like to play too

• Like 2

Posted

Some of that precipitation piling in off the coast would be grand!

image.thumb.png.4ca914d99f937ca41b908e7c638c28d8.png

• Like 1

Posted

I've noticed that we have some members on here from lincoln and york who haven't seen much snow yet this winter.

Around york looks best placed at the moment (low lying area) to get pummeled from the snow showers monday - wednesday.

And lincoln looks best placed for the stuff coming up from the south east sunday.

You guys especially want no changes in model output from now until the weekend lol. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Pattern has clearly shifted north 100 miles.. yup looks better for us

Hi I’m new here, been following the threads for the last week or so, in the mods thread they’re all for the south? 
One things for sure I’m happy it’s shifted north! How likely is it  to stay that way as I have a feeling it will keep changing!

thanks , leanne 

Edited by Grimsby
Spelling mistakes