Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

All the best for your move to Swineshead Lincs, hope you settle in well. Your post caught my eye because I grew up in the other Swineshead a tiny hamlet in North Beds! I think we once visited your Swineshead, it’s a funny old place name!

Aww thanks yes the name is rather amusing but its a lovely little village with a tight community

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
16 minutes ago, Brassmonkeylily said:

Well the most balanced view I have heard today .... excellent summary and explains all the options and of course the fine margins but all to play for

They don’t expect the mild weather to even get across the uk late next week. Very interesting 

Edited by Decemberof2010
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Aww thanks yes the name is rather amusing but its a lovely little village with a tight community

Try the Ivy's when it re-opens - top food and good shop. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Aiden2020 said:

Does anybody know how pocklington or generally York gets out off easterlies usually ?

Pocklington nicely placed for easterlies. You should so well providing the current synoptics shown come to fruition.

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, Arnie1965 said:

Try the Ivy's when it re-opens - top food and good shop. 

I am a 5 minute walk from there, i moved to the new abbey walk development. Thanks for the recommendation, i will look forward to trying it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Hope the snow showers pile up against the pennines and merge into bigger spells of snow. Seem to remember something similar in 2018 Beast from the east at one point. What causes the difference in snow east of pennines, to the west in these set ups? Always seems to be a big contrast. Can't really grumble though as its a good recipe for big totals for places around huddersfield, glossop, queensbury etc

Edited by Snowjokes92
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Hope the snow showers pile up against the pennines and merge into bigger spells of snow. Seem to remember something similar in 2018 Beast from the east at one point. What causes the difference in snow east of pennines, to the west in these set ups? Always seems to be a big contrast. Can't really grumble though as its a good recipe for big totals for places around huddersfield, glossop, queensbury etc

Rain relief/shadow same as if showers were coming from the west, then we wouldn't benifit. There needs to be a stiff breeze to get the showers over the Pennines. 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
Just now, winterof79 said:

Rain relief same as if showers were coming from the west, then we wouldn't benifit. There needs to be a stiff breeze to get the showers over the Pennines. 

Thank you thats cleared things up a bit.

must be frusrating on that side. I always remember west of region and north yorkshire been pasted in east and north easterlies and then precipitation moving over the pennines lose intensity.

Posted
2 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

If were talking 2010, i suppose its only right to dig these pics out again

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

Looked a bit deep on Hady Lane  @ChezWeather

I have some pictures somewhere from this but can I hell as find em

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

As we’re thinking of 2010. I seem to remember it was the only major snowfall of that winter here. But what a snowfall!!! More like that hopefully coming!C8B9F92B-A8DA-4161-BDCC-19360EAF460F.thumb.jpeg.d985f5a46c99cbf53cf47703045f470d.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

GFS 18Z show streamers forming from Lincolnshire then moving up slowly to North Yorkshire then more disturbances following same pattern

102-574UK.thumb.gif.48126f08f8289d988b334192fe32451f.gif

114-574UK.thumb.gif.88cfe9e5ee127ba5a71d76ac39ff0f04.gif

126-574UK.thumb.gif.17c3ab3528cd9b0bbc6f7ebcbd952ce4.gif

144-574UK.thumb.gif.8cd278f8731ef508fa035cefbf0ebd63.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
3 hours ago, Aiden2020 said:

Does anybody know how pocklington or generally York gets out off easterlies usually ?

Used to live in Pock and generally did pretty well there. My main profile pic is of the beck in Pocklington.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

lets all make a stance on it. n do something about it rather than us just complaining!!??... even set up a new internet forum lol.

Let’s take a stance by enjoying the snow over the weekend and then sharing our pictures of the snow on here. 

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Used to live in Pock and generally did pretty well there. My main profile pic is of the beck in Pocklington.

Yeah I live in brid and my partner Lives in pock so I’m either in pock when not at work or brid when at work lol atm so hoping I get to see loads .

Posted
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

A new day is upon us, lets see what the models have in store for us today

Looking good first thing mate

*gfs op has better breakdown, slower and snowier, better angle of attack from the atlantic.

*ukmo is very good two. 144h on latest 00z run is better than yesterdays ECM at same day.

Let's hope the next ECM coming out soon can give us 3/3 this morning 

GFS

GFSOPEU00_186_1 (1).png

UKMO

UKMOPEU00_144_1 (2).png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4

Posted

Oooo latest fax chart has a convergence zone north yorkshire on monday, could that come a little bit further south west please on the next update!

BRAEU_120.gif

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Looking good first thing mate

*gfs op has better breakdown, slower and snowier, better angle of attack from the atlantic.

*ukmo is very good two. 144h on latest 00z run is better than yesterdays ECM at same day.

Let's hope the next ECM coming out soon can give us 3/3 this morning 

GFS

GFSOPEU00_186_1 (1).png

UKMO

UKMOPEU00_144_1 (2).png

really is an exciting time ahead, can't remember last time we had something so good, I know we have had some snow events last few weeks but this one looks alot better for much more of us

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

really is an exciting time ahead, can't remember last time we had something so good, I know we have had some snow events last few weeks but this one looks alot better for much more of us

Yeah when snow showers start rattling in from the east really will be heaven, tracking the showers on radar, looking out window for big cumulus/ towers and then if your lucky streamers set up shop over ya house.. :: )) Yeah!!

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah when snow showers start rattling in from the east really will be heaven, tracking the showers on radar, looking out window for big cumulus/ towers and then if your lucky streamers set up shop over ya house.. :: )) Yeah!!

first one of the day

200.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

ICON 18z had downgraded the snow Sat night/Sun morning, but the 0z seems to have upgraded it again and also brought it forward. If it’s correct, we should be seeing snow into the North of the region from Saturday teatime, and then more widely across the region through Saturday evening and overnight.

1A546560-0A16-4CEE-B678-1A85A04E084F.png

F731890D-4DB2-42F4-85CB-16DC62B00223.png

• Like 2

Posted

A long way off I know, and we have a good 4-5 days of snow showers to come first, but GEM is going for a spectacular breakdown event on Thursday.  As Scott has said, the breakdown maybe being over-estimated as is often the case with these scenarios, so we might yet get a few more days of Easterlies before we get here.

B9E45C0C-915B-4DE4-B920-1E890DF57B78.png

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted

Would be nice to get a few cm's  Saturday night to build a nice base. Would also avoid the impatience you feel at the start of a cold spell waiting for snow. 

Then relax as it gets topped up by showers throughout next week.

The Beast from the East 2018 was a slow start with loads of light snow showers on the Sun and Mon which didn't settle. Hope we get straight in with it this time and why Saturday night could be just what we need.

ECM 240 snow depth is insane, granted most of it is from a snowy low at the end which may not happen. Probably underestimates showers/streamers for some too.spacer.png

Posted

A bit more near term, the latest Fax chart for Saturday is looking good.  A couple of convergence zones now shown to our North East where we could see streamers setup, and the front pushing up from the South East. 

E0846A5A-4B42-4560-8B18-C3DC85ECC4A7.gif

• Like 2