Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Does anyone have the charts for Feb 1991 that dropped this:

img013.thumb.jpg.274942a84d7ffbd14be64d40858984f0.jpg

I remember waking up to that. I'd love to see snow this deep again, though it'd likely wipe out the sky dish and lights when it eventually comes off the roof...

CFSR_1_1991020712_1.png

CFSR_1_1991020818_1.png

50cm officially at Bingley.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tim A said:

CFSR_1_1991020712_1.png

CFSR_1_1991020818_1.png

50cm officially at Bingley.

wow that would be amazing to see! .. I know barnsley had 2 foot in 2010 and we were housebound for nearly a week

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Craigers said:

Surely this will upgrade as the days go on?

Quite possibly, the Extra data is based on GFS, when I get chance I'll see if I can get some 3-dimensional ata from UK Met or ECMWF, from what I posted into the model thread this morning they would seem to suggest colder air aloft than GFS is suggesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Snow hanging in well still tough stuff this snow.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS was indeed a downgrade in terms of forecast shower activity (not that I would focus on that - showers are always nowcast).

Generally though the length of the potential window means that I would be fairly confident on widespread 10-20cm totals.

Worth saying that in my experience we tend to get more snow in West Yorkshire than forecast from easterlies as models struggle to forecast more unstable areas within a unstable flow.

I'm allowing myself to get quite excited now.

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

wow that would be amazing to see! .. I know barnsley had 2 foot in 2010 and we were housebound for nearly a week

Yes I remember how South Yorks and North Nottinghamshire got absolutely buried. Seemed like you were under the streamer for days, I was waiting for it to move North which it did eventually but was so slow! 

• Like 1

Posted

2010 we had as near as makes no difference, 2 ft. of snow. 

Very wary of comparing anything to an event of that sort, but who knows! 

The last time I can remember experiencing thundersnow was 2012/13 I think...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
19 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

So can we call it a dead cert for yorkshire? or do we need to wait another 24 hours?

Just about, its like being 3-0 at football but there's still 10 minutes to final whistle, still in back of your mind that something could go wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Just about, its like being 3-0 at football but there's still 10 minutes to final whistle, still in back of your mind that something could go wrong. 

Let's hope the models will not do an Arsenal then. 

• Like 2

Posted

Starting to look like a very good period of winter weather approaching.

Yesterday's snow is slowly fading but it looks like it could get interesting early next week.

I'd agree with the 10-20cm for much of West Yorkshire. Easterlies with showers generally make it much further inland than modelled and can become heavy and persistent.

What we need to see on the met office fax charts are the "trees". Not sure if their scientific name, but they show areas where showers are heavy and persistent.... you can see them in the North Sea on the attached chart.

Screenshot_20210203-130235_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Although most of the region should get 10-20cm in my opinion since we have a full 4 days and more or less sub zero Maxima (so it just builds) I would possibly flag the Dales, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire. Dales for height and being relatively close to the coast, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire because of stream potential with the NE element and the Wash.

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Starting to look like a very good period of winter weather approaching.

Yesterday's snow is slowly fading but it looks like it could get interesting early next week.

I'd agree with the 10-20cm for much of West Yorkshire. Easterlies with showers generally make it much further inland than modelled and can become heavy and persistent.

What we need to see on the met office fax charts are the "trees". Not sure if their scientific name, but they show areas where showers are heavy and persistent.... you can see them in the North Sea on the attached chart.

Screenshot_20210203-130235_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Troughs. Hoping for a covering of snow here finally. Don't think a comparison with 91 can be made, much colder air from the east before the main snow event came up from the SE. I was living in the SE at the time.

Edited by Matt Jones

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Although most of the region should get 10-20cm in my opinion since we have a full 4 days and more or less sub zero Maxima (so it just builds) I would possibly flag the Dales, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire. Dales for height and being relatively close to the coast, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire because of stream potential with the NE element and the Wash.

flag as in good or bad?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

GFS was indeed a downgrade in terms of forecast shower activity (not that I would focus on that - showers are always nowcast).

Generally though the length of the potential window means that I would be fairly confident on widespread 10-20cm totals.

Worth saying that in my experience we tend to get more snow in West Yorkshire than forecast from easterlies as models struggle to forecast more unstable areas within a unstable flow.

I'm allowing myself to get quite excited now.

Yes showers generally blow up as they move in land before getting eaten up by the Pennines meaning the north west don’t see as much. But It will be all about where the showers are most frequent and heaviest and where streamers may develop will be obviously where the largest amounts are but this is impossible to forecast at this time and will be more down to nowcasting on the day. I don’t want to be a party pooper but unfortunately some places might not see much if any at all I just hope I’m not one of them .. But if it turns into a persistent cold spell I’m sure everyone at some point will get in on the act .. 

Really looking forward to a proper cold spell now. Giving us something to get excited about given the circumstances. ❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
14 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg(10).jpg

orgasmic - make your minds up if the forecast or the presenter

• Like 1

Posted

As the 2010 event has been mentioned I'll put these pictures up from my old house at Athersley South in Barnsley, quite an event that.

FB_IMG_1612363631436.jpg

FB_IMG_1612363602541.jpg

FB_IMG_1612363586777.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

2010 here gave me around 7" which built up over several heavy showers. 1991 and 1995 remain unbeaten.

06012010(003).thumb.jpg.58f0cd7fe28f9360c9b380d005d302ff.jpg07012010.thumb.jpg.5eea925bd5998620f1d34a1d7b95c91f.jpg

Bike covered in snow - evening of 6th Dec 2010 and the back garden taken the following morning.

Edited by Stelmer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

image.thumb.png.cb87cc54e624b22624805da3fb7d2dae.png

Good

• Like 2