Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Hard to not get excited now - it looks like we could be on the cusp on something epic for the majority of the country. Surely this evenings runs are the final hurdle to at least getting the cold in place! 

• Like 4

Posted

The out parameter of the snow computer flags up convective snow starting Sunday afternoon ( Humber , northwards ) with snow risk increasing further south into Monday. Tuesday is out of range at the moment but the team expect Tuesday to be the day of most widespread snow from North Sea trough alignments. So for model watching over the next 72 hours will be focused on  changes in position or rate in movement/ sinking of the low. At last looking good for you guys, especially in the North with blizzards developing there from late Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the skew-t predictions for the weekend and out to next Wednesday,(as far as Extra goes), and the predicted cloud tops are rarely above 5-7000ft

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
42 minutes ago, snow*please said:

I am actually getting really giddy now Tried holding back on the excitement but i cant no longer haha. 

I wont be telling anyone though just incase  

I have everything

I've personally not said a word to anyone though I've just posted on Facebook. 

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Could see amber warning before Friday? or even on Friday a red would be nice

Amber's and Reds will only appear when its a now cast situation with streamers. That 2010 for us in South Yorkshire only had Amber warning for 2ft of snow haha 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Looking at the skew-t predictions for the weekend and out to next Wednesday,(as far as Extra goes), and the predicted cloud tops are rarely above 5-7000ft

Surely this will upgrade as the days go on?

Posted

I wouldn't be comparing this to 2010.

Alot of places will get moderate snow showers with the odd heavier one but I cant see heavy snow showers piling in with feet on the ground. Things could change but cold and wintry yes. 

Odd trough if developed will give more prolonged snow also.

Edited by joggs

Posted
4 minutes ago, joggs said:

Alot of places will get moderate snow showers with the odd heavier one but I cant see heavy snow showers piling in with feet on the ground. Things could change but cold and wintry yes. 

Can I ask why?

Posted
4 minutes ago, joggs said:

tenor.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, joggs said:

Aaaaand my feet are now back on the ground

Posted
8 minutes ago, joggs said:

That's what as given us large snowfalls in previous similar set ups to this, we should also look to any fronts trying to push up from South next week which would help things though there's always a risk that this could eventually lead to less cold air spreading in from South East.

• Like 3

Posted

Don't get me wrong. There could be upgrades to come and some areas will do well. But there's currently no big towering showers forecasts in this flow punching thousands of feet in the air but........streamers can set up and troughs ect.  What will fall wont really melt mind.

Just trying to keep expectations down a touch so people enjoy it more

• Like 1

Posted

You guys deserve it on the east coast. We inland have done ok this winter.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
48 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Amber's and Reds will only appear when its a now cast situation with streamers. That 2010 for us in South Yorkshire only had Amber warning for 2ft of snow haha 

Pretty sure we did get a Red for 2013's event, but that was a North Westerly and that cut off some villages for over a week and resulted in wiping out whole herds of sheep as they were buried. Was very much a Pennines / Cumbria / North Wales event though that one for the 3 foot+ stuff.

Posted
22 minutes ago, joggs said:

Don't get me wrong. There could be upgrades to come and some areas will do well. But there's currently no big towering showers forecasts in this flow punching thousands of feet in the air but........streamers can set up and troughs ect.  What will fall wont really melt mind.

Just trying to keep expectations down a touch so people enjoy it more

Towering snow showers won't show up till much nearer time, possibly down to 24 hours or less before.

Radar watching is what we'll all be on by weekend. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
58 minutes ago, joggs said:

Why not? These things come unexpectedly i was living in Dronfield Derbyshire  at the time we were forecast around 5cm but got stuck under a never ending streamer that was a very narrow band of heavy and persistent snow I measured over 2ft of snow in the back garden the pictures I took show this.

It doesn't take a full frontal system to deliver a huge fall of snow if you get stuck under one of these streamers from the east cold air coming over a relatively warm sea it a recipe for heavy falls of snow.

I wouldn't bet against these streamers occurring again where will be the sweet spot is anyones guess.

• Like 2

Posted

How long are we expecting this to last? I’m wanting to put leave in for Monday or would I need more than that? Moving house within the next couple of weeks could I have picked a worse time to move! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Please weather god's - this is all I want....

dcb02199de273e46ca409add185f68bc.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Stunning output for our region, almost nailed on now.

Think we should all see snow even snow starved easterners , although I would guess the biggest falls will likely be in areas which have already seen plenty, eastern exposed hills always do well, e.g Feb 91 Bingley hit 50cm . Not suggesting it will be that much but you never know, if it goes on for days perhaps.

Having said that anyone could hit the jackpot with a persistent streamer like 2010.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Does anyone have the charts for Feb 1991 that dropped this:

img013.thumb.jpg.274942a84d7ffbd14be64d40858984f0.jpg

I remember waking up to that. I'd love to see snow this deep again, though it'd likely wipe out the sky dish and lights when it eventually comes off the roof...

• Like 4