Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Today's Front seems very weak it may get a boost from the north west as energy moves south east along it. The rising temps and the slow movement probably means it will be rain for most away from the peaks if indeed any precipitation makes it this far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Weather warning out for Thursday into Friday now which includes some parts of our region (not over my head unfortunately but time for change!)

Several centimetres on low ground and 15-30cms over higher ground!

Issued: 11:00 (UTC) on Tue 26 Jan 2021

A band of snowfall will likely push northeast into this region during the early hours of Thursday and become slow-moving. Snow may fall to lower elevations for a time with some locations seeing several cm by morning, however above 200 m elevation significant and prolonged snowfall is possible throughout Thursday, with the potential for 15-30cm to accumulate which may lead to transport disruption. Overnight into Friday snowfall will turn lighter and more patchy, and likely become restricted to elevations above 300-400 M, but may see a further 5-10 cm.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Currently 2.8c here with 1.1 dew, so most likely a bust. Temps look about 5c overnight too which is grim so nothing would hang around anyway.

Really hope for better on Thursday, and Sunday a possibility as well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Weather warning out for Thursday into Friday now which includes some parts of our region (not over my head unfortunately but time for change!)

Several centimetres on low ground and 15-30cms over higher ground!

Issued: 11:00 (UTC) on Tue 26 Jan 2021

A band of snowfall will likely push northeast into this region during the early hours of Thursday and become slow-moving. Snow may fall to lower elevations for a time with some locations seeing several cm by morning, however above 200 m elevation significant and prolonged snowfall is possible throughout Thursday, with the potential for 15-30cm to accumulate which may lead to transport disruption. Overnight into Friday snowfall will turn lighter and more patchy, and likely become restricted to elevations above 300-400 M, but may see a further 5-10 cm.

This looks to be a middle ground between 6z Arpege and the 0z ECM.  As you say, still time for an adjustment South to bring those of us in S. Yorks into the game.

21E56B1A-E1D8-4B87-8210-D741D1C9E7CC.png

789D25B5-66E7-4A4E-AC08-04CE5C129A6B.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
2 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

This looks to be a middle ground between 6z Arpege and the 0z ECM.  As you say, still time for an adjustment South to bring those of us in S. Yorks into the game.

21E56B1A-E1D8-4B87-8210-D741D1C9E7CC.png

789D25B5-66E7-4A4E-AC08-04CE5C129A6B.jpeg

Fingers crossed for South Yorkshire

As it stands the higher parts of Leeds and Bradford could be buried!  ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I'm puzzled why the warning is for the pennines only if low ground could see several cm? Also plenty of hight ground in North Leeds not in the warning area? 

Posted

Hand on heart not expecting anything here , think just to the NW of here might though. 

I am always sceptical of such large Met Office warnings , the southern area might just be there to be overly cautious. Certainly Met Office automated not interested at all.

But to give hope take a look at the Euro4. Band stagnates over us /not moved through by end of run(54 hours)

euro4_uk1-46-54-0.png?26-11

Edited by Tim A
  • Like 3

Posted

Spitting with very light rain in Barnsley. 

Posted

I'm certainly not expecting anything at my elevation in the next week or so. Can only hope the front on Thursday/Friday is further south and stalls over us to give low lying areas a chance. Other than that 200m and above.  Just cant get any of these lows to disrupt. They're always round and hang around to ou west grrrrrrr.

Onto the 1st week of Feb now for me personally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Must be a lot of virga going on or the radar is playing tricks!

Shows its been raining here for a while, but it definitely isn't! A few spots is all I've seen...

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Assuming the Euro 4 is backed the other high Res models that explains the warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowing here now, south west Sheffield. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, joggs said:

I'm certainly not expecting anything at my elevation in the next week or so. Can only hope the front on Thursday/Friday is further south and stalls over us to give low lying areas a chance. Other than that 200m and above.  Just cant get any of these lows to disrupt. They're always round and hang around to ou west grrrrrrr.

Onto the 1st week of Feb now for me personally.

Don’t write off your location just yet buddy for Thursday through to Sunday obviously not a given but there’s still a decent chance for seeing some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Fingers crossed for South Yorkshire

As it stands the higher parts of Leeds and Bradford could be buried!  ?

NW very own forecast has us in Penistone under 6-8 hours of moderate to heavy snow on Thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Very heavy rain here in Rotherham, bit of sleet in it as well, must be heavy snow up on hill tops. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Gfs 12z looks a pearler  out in FI

GFSOPEU12_276_2.thumb.png.f384afb68820014704ac3527904e2cac.png

The signal is growing stronger! 

• Like 3

Posted
On 17/01/2021 at 08:21, Harsh Climate said:

Poor outlook on the models this morning, all 3 big guns gfs, ecm and ukmo all look in favour of a good 10 days of mobile Atlantic orientated weather. Any cold snaps look short lived with a plethora of lows barreling through.

I think we have even taken a step back away from battleground snow events, heavy rainfall and flooding certainly look the name of the game. Maybe a little transient snowfall later in the week on the highest of ground, certainly no repeat of last Thursday, not in the slightest. 

Obviously things could change in the next 48 hours back in our favour but I think anything truly positive for us snow lovers will be deep Fi and not in next 10 days. 

I'm still going for a cold and snowy February when the effect of this SSW has had real chance to filter through downstream, stopping the Atlantic in it's tracks and allowing good height rises to our north and west. But I think another blow or two is needed on the strat before we see this. Patience is needed..

As I predicted 10 days ago, gfs falling perfectly inline with my forecast. February shaping up very nicely. And just before februrary there could be a couple good battle ground snow events before the atlantic starts to back off!

GFSOPEU12_288_1.pngGFSOPEU12_318_2.thumb.png.a49054556137b41aaf1c98db7a140632.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Everyone in the model forum bar the usual people were wanting to write off winter this morning

• Like 4