• Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
51 minutes ago, caistor top said:

1B273C41-EE3B-4770-A635-72AA44B1781E.jpeg

Meanwhile Northerners...

DDD8A0B2-5B6C-428A-BC0A-9CC3F1E7C952.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Very short-lived period of wet snow for here about 2 hours ago but mostly gone now. Well done Scott Ingham, who called this pretty much spot on for our neck of the woods last night.  It did rain pretty hard for a fair while though, so watch the flood watches and warnings rise today.

Edited by Just Before Dawn
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Warning for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday now issueds that covers the western most parts i.e. the Pennines. Covers all the way down to Sheffield.

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

A broad area of rainfall will arrive across this region later on Monday and remain across the area for the following 36-48 hours. Rainfall will be heaviest and most persistent across western facing hills. Over the course of this time, 30-60 mm of rainfall is expected to fall widely across the warning area, with the potential for up to 150-200 mm across the regions most exposed hills (most likely across northwest Wales, and northwest England). Across the higher Pennine Hills, there will likely still be significant snowfall laying on Monday. Much of this will melt during this event and may add an additional 5-10 mm quite widely, and as much as 20-30 mm across the highest snow-covered hills. Strong winds will also accompany the rainfall and may add to travelling difficulties across areas higher and more exposed routes.

Can't remember the met office ever giving a warning for possible of 200mm rainfall. This really does seem a potential event, keep having totals around 100mm for those days for our neck of the woods. Inevitable it gets upgraded to amber nearer the time, although probably not covering much of our region.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Our next chance of snow looks likely to be towards end of next week in a NW flow so Pennine areas should have better chance of seeing any. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Went to bed around 1am with the snow frozen, woke up around 9am more or less untouched.

I can only assume that it either snowed in Leeds or drizzled for a bit rather than properly rained.

Thawing at an impressive rate though in LS12.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, cowdog said:

Warning for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday now issueds that covers the western most parts i.e. the Pennines. Covers all the way down to Sheffield.

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Can't remember the met office ever giving a warning for possible of 200mm rainfall. This really does seem a potential event, keep having totals around 100mm for those days for our neck of the woods. Inevitable it gets upgraded to amber nearer the time, although probably not covering much of our region.

200mm could be once in a lifetime if it comes in a relatively short period of time you only have to think back to the summer of 2007 when we had about 100mm in Sheffield and we saw traffic lights industrial bins and cars floating down the streets.

I dread to think the destruction to people's lives this could cause should it come to fruition.

Add in the pandemic that would have disaster written all over it.

• Like 1

Posted

Flooding is a real possibilty for the region to the start of next week, with those in the pennines and west of the region in for a foul spell of weather.

Further down the line there is potential for yorkshire to receive high impact snowfall dependant on the line between the warm and cold air.

Its going to be a very imby spell of weather so be careful to work out where someone lives before making a judgement on what we would get. A bad run for the south coast doesnt mean a bad run for us so my own advice would be to stick to regionals and not get caught up in emotion in the mod thread.

All said and done if your a weather enthusiast its an interesting spell of weather whether its snow or not. I feel by wednesday well he wishing for snow as any further rainfall has the potential to cause us a lot of problems we dont need economically when you condiser lots of us have been hit with work issues due to covid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Thoughts are with anyone in a flood risk area, really don't need it ontop of the pandemic.

In regards to potential snow, what's the timeframe we're looking at? I'm furloughed for 3 weeks from 1st Feb.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Deja vu?

image.thumb.png.f0c9c498911c2755f386dddd403dfd3a.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Deja vu?

image.thumb.png.f0c9c498911c2755f386dddd403dfd3a.png

Another low that shows the complexities of snowfall.

This is brought about by the extremely low thicknesses! 

(The purple on the geopotential 500hpa charts for anyone not sure) 

Could do with the low being a little bit further east to avoid the winds mixing air and increasing the impact of evaporative cooling but this is the next chance for us i feel.

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.537ae0a91ba7f765aa340d5e7616e420.png

image.thumb.png.dd74c7b4d5aecb6e9e4a6b080f8ba448.png

Looking good with the Dps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The outlook from the met was updated today at 4pm and it sounds very good withe central and northern areas expected to have wintry hazards till the middle of Febraury.

I think they see a similar pattern to whats been shown on the 12z but further south for the majority of the period

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
6 hours ago, cowdog said:

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

They have a few times for Cumbria in the past !

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Early Hours Thursday could be interesting in the peak district quite cold uppers and the rain looks to heavy. Wind maybe a bit too strong to allow for cooling. However during the day the temps drop off so I wouldn't be surprised too see some wintry stuff elsewhere as well during Thursday. Either way an interesting week coming up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some might find the top fifteen wettest periods for Sheffield since 1989 http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/Averages/Heaviest Rainfall From 1989.pdf  interesting.

Edited by The PIT
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
12 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Early Hours Thursday could be interesting in the peak district quite cold uppers and the rain looks to heavy. Wind maybe a bit too strong to allow for cooling. However during the day the temps drop off so I wouldn't be surprised too see some wintry stuff elsewhere as well during Thursday. Either way an interesting week coming up.

Yes, even for here in Rotherham, meto going for a little snow weds night into Thurs currently:

Screenshot_20210116-184932__01.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Scott Ingham said:

The outlook from the met was updated today at 4pm and it sounds very good withe central and northern areas expected to have wintry hazards till the middle of Febraury.

I think they see a similar pattern to whats been shown on the 12z but further south for the majority of the period

Certainly is a big rewarding pattern and I'd be happy with the similar events that happened on Thursday that will include East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. What a winter!

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Certainly is a big rewarding pattern and I'd be happy with the similar events that happened on Thursday that will include East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. What a winter!

We've missed most of the snow sadly

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

We know of the propensity for models to over do lows. So a toned down version a little east with those thicknesses has potential.

What happens after though looks very interesting for us.

Someone will get a lot of snow but anywhere from the southern midlands to scotland is my best bet.

Id rule out the far south i feel iberian heights will see to that.

Naturally lows barreling south east are often followed by heaight rises in scandi too and the next strat journey is looking for the vortex over canada leaving a vaccum for this.

So battleground working further west with a trigger low into germany and holland to potentially open up an easterly route first week in feb????

Lets see

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's all make or break for winter in the mod thread......you couldn't make it up. Their lives must be one depressing mess outside of the weather. Lol

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
44 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

It's all make or break for winter in the mod thread......you couldn't make it up. Their lives must be one depressing mess outside of the weather. Lol

It's same with these weather Facebook groups that are on go. People down South ranting that they were up early excited the Snow was coming and it didn't deliver then coming out with comments of 'so much for beast from East then, when front was coming in from West. 

Edited by Bradowl
  • Like 7