Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Scott kazim and Craig are top posters in here and been on the ball thanks alot for you're contribution to the community group

Cheers mate! I'll keep it up

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Wow. What an amazing day. Ended up with 12cm at my elevation

A big shout out to Kasim and Scott! Their knowledge and input was very much appreciated.

But not to forget the likes of Cheese Rice and The PIT; who may have had differing opinions, but nonethless their input is invaluable on this forum.

Onwards to the next few inches (and more!).....

Your welcome! Were all here to see snow all said and done and forecasting is part of the fun! To echo what you said what a great day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, joggs said:

Well I'm happy with my 8cm in Bingley lol.

I'm fairly happy with the way things are going re the models and the outlook. Could be a hell of a lot worse. 3 snowfalls so far this winter. I can understand the frustration of our southern contingent. But its reverse in summer...

Is it really though, most of the high cape in Summer 2020 was around the North Midlands, Southern parts of Northern England. All down to climate change I think.

Posted

The regional thread to be in today, thought the NE may fair best, but as said earlier much of Yorkshire struck the gold deal today.

The amber warning was very poorly drawn should have been extended another 80 miles south. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Craigers said:

Loving the buzz in here today. Now we need the UKMO to happen for East Yorkshire and lincs

Plenty of cold rain for Bridlington so far this winter.  And a little hail. 

The Brid snowshield is doing its job so far ! 

3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The regional thread to be in today, thought the NE may fair best, but as said earlier much of Yorkshire struck the gold deal today.

The amber warning was very poorly drawn should have been extended another 80 miles south. 

The problem is the folk at the Met take their cheif forecaster's evaluation as gospel and are too scared to question it. An innovative environment is always more productive.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Report from BD11, 185m was 12cm from the parents. 7cm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
5 hours ago, matt brid said:

Plenty of cold rain for Bridlington so far this winter.  And a little hail. 

The Brid snowshield is doing its job so far ! 

The Snow shield is called the North Sea. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Morning, for which date?

No date in particular rather the overall pattern from 144h onwards. Macro scale >  The southerly tracking component prevents the progression of mild sectors & allows for cold easterly injection into the lows. Low heights reducing upper requirement and also providing evaporative cooling opportinity so both mobile lows with an easterly component & short wave thermodynamic events are possible. This would produce a risk of both more widespread disruptive events and short wave "surprises"

At the synoptic scale > amplification around southern Greenland maintaining the cold air supply, strong southerly tracking jet component providing the zonal energy: low heights and moisture.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well I was out by 6 to 8hrs so was wrong.

Anyway 10cm depth of snow however discovered another problem having foxes and cubs. They trample the snow down so probably won't supply any depths after today.

Another interesting thing the snow even well away from the house hasn't frozen despite being down to -1.5C. I expected snap crackle and crunch. It froze in the rain gauge of course. Just finished melting it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Arpege going for several hours of snow again on Saturday.  It did reasonably well predicting the extent and duration of snow for Thursday, so maybe one to take note of even though other models are less keen.

A4200BDD-D81F-4FAE-B4CB-0A578C6F9EBC.png

Posted

Just been out for my morning jog, expected it to be really icy, showing -0.5c but surprisingly little freezing around Brierley/South Heindley (250-300ft asl).20210115_052005.thumb.jpg.4cb606b507a82fdab512ad58e7b4b76e.jpg20210115_061455.thumb.jpg.69b7d76fa46a16293bfc39a92d33c233.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting you found a lack of ice as well.

Right just measured the rainfall which is almost all snow bar some sleet at the beginning at 18.1mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Only got down to -0.8c here as well. No crunching on the road as far as I can hear.

I guess skies didn't clear like they were expecting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Just out dropping the wife to shop in town and some of the main roads around Barnsley are still not great.  Side streets, even bus routes, are awful with lots of frozen slush.

Spent a few minutes clearing snow from paths around the house and there is definitely a frozen ‘crust’ on all the snow. Sky, and mist, are clearing so temps may be colder now than overnight.

Posted

Morning all. - 4.6C now. Every single surface is frozen even the top of the accumulated snow. 

Tonight after around 1am is very difficult to forecast. The METO automated system shows several hours of heavy snow here but it's not that simple. Cloud cover from the evening will prevent T to drop under clear skies so it will be extremely marginal when the front arrives from the W. I expect DP to rise as the system approaches but maybe Kasim and other members can enlighten us further about other factors that might come in play. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I expected to go out to a frozen car at half 5 this morning, I guess the overcast sky prevented temperatures falling. 

Could even hear dripping from gutter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Spent 5 minutes clearing the path this morning, very crunchy here. 

Freezing fog and -3C currently.

Edited by cheese