Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
53 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

This Evening and Tonight:

Rain, sleet and snow should clear all but the Pennines quite early this evening. Cloud will begin to clear in the east leading to a risk of icy stretches, severe frost and fog later. Bitterly cold. Minimum temperature -8 °C.

Friday:

Another cold day but most parts will stay dry with patchy cloud and some sunny spells after a sharp early frost. Cloud will thicken as winds begin to strengthen later. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Windy with rain and snow on Saturday, this possibly significant. Dry, bright, but cold on Sunday. Dry initially but rain, snow and strong winds in the south later on Monday.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Thu 14 Jan 2021

Thats a confident met update mate! I have to admit to not sharing that confidence this time but were easily in an envelope of westerly corrections

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

The snow on the table and chairs has now merged into one. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 20cm 

Youve done really well out of this mate! Whats your altitude?

Posted
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Cracking UKMO chart showing ampification towards Greenland and a snow maker to our East which should help  our friends in the East Riding

image.thumb.png.c3db1485b78411d69c82475c78971ca5.png

Pretty please 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Hats off to Kasim and Scott, you nailed this one, possibly even UNDER-estimated it if anything!! Met Office warning not for the first time in recent years, was poor. We've got 8-10cm depending on the surface and that's below 100m asl. Here's the views out the front/back of the house. Winter wonderland indeed! 20210114_154030.thumb.jpg.c66a85a5e424fa1466bba7e0960cc392.jpg20210114_154055.thumb.jpg.ca9fb81e3a57388a436cb92be494fcb6.jpg

Thanks mate well get more wrong than right but got this one kind of right cos i expected maximum 5cm to lower ground so way underestimates but agree on met office. I think they didnt expect both the intensity and organisation of the rainfall and left evaporative cooling out of the forecast

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
4 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Cracking UKMO chart showing ampification towards Greenland and a snow maker to our East which should help  our friends in the East Riding

Kick it down South, we've not seen a flake!  What's worse is my Bros lives in Sheffield, been snowing there since 8am and he now has 10cm and is still snowing - he keeps sending me the pictures!  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

I’m liking the look of that!  6 days away, so caution needed but outlook positive if this is to be believed!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I dont think far off at all no mate. I have -5 in an urban area like mine. I can certainly imagine higher routes getting to that. Ive looked in detail for saturday and i think 30 miles from the coast and maybe east anglia for snow but for our area yet again im in agreement. Front edge turning to freezing rain turning to rain. Today got pushed a long way west from 54 hours to 12 though so i guess im prepared to give it till tomorrows 12z and then ill make a forecast and post it on here

Cool, hopefully the models will turn more favourable for saturday and we see snow in your forecast again :).

What I'm liking so far this winter is we have had 4 snowfalls around here, we've gone from wet snow here not settling, to a wet dusting, then 2" of slush, to finally today a beautiful 5" plus! Each snow event just gets progresively better with the snow line increasingly lower. Very promising signs for the rest of the winter, almost textbook stuff of how winter can just slowly twist the knife. Hopefully this all culminates in a 1947  style februrary/march  . One thing, I'm pretty shaw the polar vortex and atlantic is slowly being eaten away until something gives masively, could be that big greenland high your predicting  

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

The snow on the table and chairs has now merged into one. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 20cm 

A few metres up the road I have just measured 17cm on the grass. There is some heavier precip slowly edging in from the east too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Took a few piccies before it gets dark, measured 11cm's here and it looks like there is more PPN to the east/northeast.

DSC03214.thumb.JPG.d23a535f1642e8650b208b3abc1326da.JPGDSC03213.thumb.JPG.4b19b7fef5787bd847e569a11cb177b2.JPGDSC03215.thumb.JPG.99ec7c599322f4d0eaa6f32d6366d0bc.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Fizzling out here now,  although still coming down very light.  Ended up with 10cm, which far exceeded my expectations!  

Saturday looking more like a front edge snow then rain event.

Posted
4 hours ago, Eastyorks85 said:

Looked quite good on the York railcam though u could tell it was marginal but seemed to have lasted good few hours we got sod all here apart from more rain. Like someone said earlier the death of an proper Northerly in winter has done it here . Seems pretty much same close to the East Coast up to North East Scotland down to East Anglia in recent years.

Unfortunately not, it was snowing fairly hard for maybe a few hours tops, then soon turned back to rain. Another miss. Yes, it seems we all need an exceptional setup to get snow these days

Posted
15 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Cool, hopefully the models will turn more favourable for saturday and we see snow in your forecast again :).

What I'm liking so far this winter is we have had 4 snowfalls around here, we've gone from wet snow here not settling, to a wet dusting, then 2" of slush, to finally today a beautiful 5" plus! Each snow event just gets progresively better with the snow line increasingly lower. Very promising signs for the rest of the winter, almost textbook stuff of how winter can just slowly twist the knife. Hopefully this all culminates in a 1947  style februrary/march  . One thing, I'm pretty shaw the polar vortex and atlantic is slowly being eaten away until something gives masively, could be that big greenland high your predicting  

I hope so pal but as summer blizzard said its a different set up. Normally wed need heights to our north east and more of a slide from this type of outcome but with embedded cold and a push south and west its possile to see a period of snow and for it to drop south before the milder air comes in temporarily.

Weve benefitted from 2 n a half weeks of homegrown cold in the east this winter which has meant the wet bulb temperatures and recently dps have been on the right side which is half of the battle won!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Tim A said:

A few metres up the road I have just measured 17cm on the grass. There is some heavier precip slowly edging in from the east too.

Yes some green echoes getting closer to our area, may see a few more cm's before the day is over. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, swfc said:

Looks like more snow moving in from the east or have I totally lost my marbles

There seems to be an area moving west 

Posted

Popping in from Kent ( although I did get a snow fix by Chartwell over the weekend )  lovely photos, I'm glad for you all. Enjoy.

12Z even teezing you might be in for further treats as next week progress - with a couple of days to dig out Monday / Tuesday

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, swfc said:

Looks like more snow moving in from the east or have I totally lost my marbles

Watching the radar certainly seems to be. Last hurrah before the front fizzles southwards. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

That would be the icing on the cake 

Looks like the last hoorah as the precip is clearing the East coast. Thinking it could become stationary on the foothills of the pennines . 

Posted
9 minutes ago, York-snow said:

Unfortunately not, it was snowing fairly hard for maybe a few hours tops, then soon turned back to rain. Another miss. Yes, it seems we all need an exceptional setup to get snow these days

We do here it seems well  least u got an good few hours though better then nothing i guess. Until we get an proper cold spell showing -10 uppers within 24 hours time frame then i wont get my hopes up for anything here. 

Posted

A few more from my walk earlier around the South/West Yorkshire border Shafton/South Heindley.20210114_110310.thumb.jpg.811f0adc4ab64172f6ce4a688860d726.jpg20210114_104549.thumb.jpg.c66511089b8e0734a8e49386e44b79a2.jpg20210114_111521.thumb.jpg.7f5f1663687f06e77b7ee4080b979c73.jpg20210114_113015.thumb.jpg.cbaeb6303be70aaa93f83a643e007b8c.jpg

• Like 9