Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Heavy snow forecast until 7pm now.  Light snow until 9pm.  Let's see....

Still coming down quite heavy but small flakes!

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yeah me too! One of the best events for the whole of yorkshire getting hit all at once! I was all prepared for 2 or 3 cms so this is a proper bonus! Some places look very cold tonight with clear skies and snow cover! Over to saturday. Lets see what tomorrows runs have to say

Yeah will be interesting to see just how cold it gets over the snowfields, I wouldn't even be supprised with a -8 or -9 tonight lol. Daredn't think how bad the roads are going to be tomorrow, especially little side roads . 

Would love another dumping saturday but I'm not expecting anything at all apart from maybe a little front edge snow/freezing rain.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Running the Radar sequence for the last couple of hours, there looks to be a convergence zone where ppn is moving in from the East and West at the same time.  Zone runs from North Notts, through South Yorkshire, up towards Leeds and Harrogate. 

@Kasim Awan  I’d be interested in your technical view on this and longevity.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Heavy snow forecast until 7pm now.  Light snow until 9pm.  Let's see....

Still coming down quite heavy but small flakes!

Nice one,just looking out to the east and there is another band off PPN pushing in,i wonder if it's that what will pep up the snow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Just driven from work at Ecclesfield to home East of Rotherham, main roads are ok, just a bit slushy. Was fearing the worst but managed it without any problems, even managed to reverse car on to drive without hitting gate post. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Running the Radar sequence for the last couple of hours, there looks to be a convergence zone where ppn is moving in from the East and West at the same time.  Zone runs from North Notts, through South Yorkshire, up towards Leeds and Harrogate. 

Certainly worth keeping an eye on especially with the colder uppers been sucked in.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
3 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Yes I was just noticing that too. Looks light on radar at the mo but really it's still coming down better and adding slowly!

It's not letting up for a while is it ❄️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

This Evening and Tonight:

Rain, sleet and snow should clear all but the Pennines quite early this evening. Cloud will begin to clear in the east leading to a risk of icy stretches, severe frost and fog later. Bitterly cold. Minimum temperature -8 °C.

Friday:

Another cold day but most parts will stay dry with patchy cloud and some sunny spells after a sharp early frost. Cloud will thicken as winds begin to strengthen later. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Windy with rain and snow on Saturday, this possibly significant. Dry, bright, but cold on Sunday. Dry initially but rain, snow and strong winds in the south later on Monday.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Thu 14 Jan 2021

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

From Tuesday onwards unsettled conditions look likely to continue for most of the UK, with cloud, rain, and strong winds. A north-easterly flow will bring cold conditions and possibly frequent showers, particularly to the northern windward coasts, which may fall as snow over high ground and sometimes down to lower levels. Towards the end of the period conditions are likely to remain colder than average in the north, with the south likely to see more unsettled conditions and slightly above average temperatures at times. These conditions would likely bring periods of above average precipitation to the UK, with a likelihood of more organised snowfall for northern areas, and rain in southern areas. Central and northern areas may see wintry hazards due to this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Radar really pepping up now in the North of the region, around Boroughbridge/Bedale.  Hopefully this becomes more extensive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Brief covering this morning but it’s been rain sleet for the last 9 hours which is a shame. Only 100m higher it’s falling as snow, certainly a winter where being inland has had its benefits. Hills of North Yorkshire have certainly had one of the snowiest winters so far for many years.

Just got home after driving at 0.001mph and dropping a work colleague off. About 10cm level snow on my patio table - very similar amounts to higher up in Grenoside, though I suspect that's because my place is further east and had likely been in the more moderate precipitation for longer.

Photo below is from a work colleague who walked back to his place in Wharncliffe Side. A stunning winter wonderland today, helped by the lack of wind so the snow remains resolutely stuck and piled up on every single tree branch 

138985076_869231383910097_4905286306048955656_n.jpg

Posted

Can someone post me a snowball Please

miserable rainy dull day in Hull. but I will keep the faith and my wait continues..... 

remembering 2010 !!!!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm glad the majority of us have had snow! After all that rain yesterday I am surprised it has settled so well. Enjoy it! Looks like an ice day tomorrow, below freezing up here now and snowing lightly/moderately 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just about stopped now, all very picturesque outside (which is saying something in Hudds!)

20210114_150316.thumb.jpg.bd0141bf08d146480fd738ce71d9ce60.jpg

20210114_151305.thumb.jpg.b216253848c64131e0fa6593ab7536c4.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Hats off to Kasim and Scott, you nailed this one, possibly even UNDER-estimated it if anything!! Met Office warning not for the first time in recent years, was poor. We've got 8-10cm depending on the surface and that's below 100m asl. Here's the views out the front/back of the house. Winter wonderland indeed! 20210114_154030.thumb.jpg.c66a85a5e424fa1466bba7e0960cc392.jpg20210114_154055.thumb.jpg.ca9fb81e3a57388a436cb92be494fcb6.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Looks like much of N Yorkshire west of the A1, along with West and South Yorkshire hit the jackpot today. Met Office were out with the amber warning such areas saw less intense precipitation.

This side of the Pennines it has been a much more marginal affair, needed a bit of height 200m, and the precipitation not heavy enough to produce large amounts, still there is a decent cover above 200m in the central lakes.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah will be interesting to see just how cold it gets over the snowfields, I wouldn't even be supprised with a -8 or -9 tonight lol. Daredn't think how bad the roads are going to be tomorrow, especially little side roads . 

Would love another dumping saturday but I'm not expecting anything at all apart from maybe a little front edge snow/freezing rain.  

I dont think far off at all no mate. I have -5 in an urban area like mine. I can certainly imagine higher routes getting to that. Ive looked in detail for saturday and i think 30 miles from the coast and maybe east anglia for snow but for our area yet again im in agreement. Front edge turning to freezing rain turning to rain. Today got pushed a long way west from 54 hours to 12 though so i guess im prepared to give it till tomorrows 12z and then ill make a forecast and post it on here

• Like 1