Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
14 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

What height are you as I remember you saying your not on high ground anymore?

Hes the same height wherever he is standing.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Seems to be getting heavier here despite the weakening radar echoes?

It did this earlier for 2 updates then came back.

Those echoes do not seem right to me.

70 miles of heavy echoes gone in 20 minutes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Seems to be getting heavier here despite the weakening radar echoes?

BBC has heavy snow into the evening for our location (I'm in Wath) if it's to be believed....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

All things being equal Saturday is synoptically simpler as the triple point is well south so we have an occlusion.

But it's also moving through with much less resistance so there's a bigger chance that warm uppers just take over and the surface air gets mixed out.

I'd be more confident of snow to rain than nothing though.

Posted

Still coming down moderately now but we have somehow managed to stay  in one of the last spots of green radar return on the Netweather radar. Definitely a weakening affair though. Fantastic day 

IMG20210114131835.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Premier Neige said:

BBC has heavy snow into the evening for our location (I'm in Wath) if it's to be believed....

You're not far from me (Chapeltown) but ours is only showing light snow for the rest of the afternoon

Must admit, I'm a bit surprised we don't have more depths here. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a moan, I'm delighted that I've got some and I'll be going out in it after work. However, it's been snowing constantly since about 7:30am and it was already settling come 8am so I thought we'd have more of a build up. We're probably at 1-2 inch but footprints left on my road from early this morning are still clearly visible. Just curious as to why that may be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
5 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

Yes just noticed that.  Heavy snow until 6pm now

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Still coming down moderately now but we have somehow managed to stay  in one of the last spots of green radar return on the Netweather radar. Definitely a weakening affair though. Fantastic day 

IMG20210114131835.jpg

Yes it's been a very good event - not least since my school shut so I've had the day off work  Down the hill in Tinshill we've had probably twice the depth of snow as last Friday. I would say about 10 - 15cm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Some fantastic pictures on here today - great to see so many of you have got a decent amount of lying snow. All rain unfortunately in our part of the region (the story of the winter so far for us) and it's still chucking it down. I may have a drive into the Wolds later to see if they fared any better, but it's flood watches we'll have to worry about over the next few days, not snow.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
14 minutes ago, smhouston said:

You're not far from me (Chapeltown) but ours is only showing light snow for the rest of the afternoon

Must admit, I'm a bit surprised we don't have more depths here. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a moan, I'm delighted that I've got some and I'll be going out in it after work. However, it's been snowing constantly since about 7:30am and it was already settling come 8am so I thought we'd have more of a build up. We're probably at 1-2 inch but footprints left on my road from early this morning are still clearly visible. Just curious as to why that may be

It's not been that heavy for long periods, Friday was actually heavier most of the day here near Central Leeds. The difference is that the temperature today is lower.

Also worth saying the Met Office are forecasting -7C tonight for my parents (7 miles from Leeds) so most places will see the snow freeze.

Posted
7 minutes ago, smhouston said:

I was up at a similar time but didn't bother looking through the blinds as I was expecting rain/sleet so got a nice surprise when I finally did look out at 8.00. Probably about 2-3 inches here now...

Posted
11 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Screenshot_20210114-133748_BBC Weather.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Still snowing lightly here but definitely eased off. I'd say 4 inches now though so a great day!

It's sliding off some surfaces but temps should drop below freezing tonight and then 1c predicted tomoz so hopefully we'll hold on to cover until Saturday

• Like 2

Posted

we only have a few cm here, seems to have melted as quick as it has fallen!

Posted

Temps around 0.3 it’s still snowing but not heavily like before but it fine snow! Amazing scenes around here looking forward to a walk later !

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

Met going for heavy snow until 6pm and then light snow upto 9pm. Not sure the radar is indicating this. Are we expecting it to intensify? 

Posted

Doesn't  want to let up.

Screenshot_20210114-140147.thumb.png.9656d92ee471ccd0d576e86d36bf9e73.png

Parts of North Leeds are stuck under a heavier echo. 

1361861669_Screenshot_20210114-1402272.thumb.png.42e6516d31d5aed2ee3fb94ac59c4630.png

• Like 6

Posted

Light snow still falling here. 

Been out for a stroll, measured 5cm on a universally accepted surface (the wheelie bin lid). 

IMG_20210114_133628.jpg

IMG_20210114_132148.jpg

IMG_20210114_131558.jpg

IMG_20210114_131250.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Yes think there was only a few mins that we went blue on that radar.

Intensity picked up again last 15 mins.

This heavy wet snow could cause problems to power lines and tree branches. Our telephone lines were sagging from the weight of it, had to shake it off.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

A bit lighter here now, but still reasonably moderate small flakes.  From Radar looks like the heavier ppn has moved further South.  Measured depth twice, once before 12.00 (6cm) and then again just after 2pm (9cm), which I’d consider a decent return since 7am this morning at 100m asl.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Oooh, a treat - some sleet!   Temp has been falling, now 2.4°C with a DP of 1.9°C  

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SouthYorks said:

A bit lighter here now, but still reasonably moderate small flakes.  From Radar looks like the heavier ppn has moved further South.  Measured depth twice, once before 12.00 (6cm) and then again just after 2pm (9cm),:which I’d consider a decent return since 7am this morning at 100m asl.

I'm in Wath. We still have snow to the north of us by the looks of it so might be able to seek out a few more centimetres if we're lucky...

• Like 1