Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Will you admit your surprised how low ground has done? I have 8cm at 66asl

omg don't go there haahah! I was thinking earlier where are those who said we would only get a little ... as no where to be seen

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

omg don't go there haahah! I was thinking earlier where are those who said we would only get a little ... as no where to be seen

It takes a man to put your hands up hahaha i would have hahahaha

BUT its been a good day! 

I dont actually care! It was a tough smowcast to call very complicated!

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 1

Posted

Still snowing here, T=0.5 C and I would estimate 2 cm or a touch more.

What was it someone said about surprise snowfalls?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Problems at Dewsbury/Wakefield....

Screenshot_20210114-121415_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

1007985082_Screenshot_20210113-1622312.thumb.png.3c3af729bd9504b5c7021bcd44ff7395.png

ukprec.thumb.png.f897d677bf59b6c9444079ac42bd1070.png

@Kasim Awan

This is the data I was going with, you know as well as I do if it played out like Met Office own model it would have been alot closer to the warnings issued. 

You have a favoured short term model which happened to be closer to the mark this time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Can't decide if it's melting slightly or just falling off car side windows and some leaves and branches cuz of weight?

Temp is 0c so shouldn't be melting, ground would be at least as cold.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Just now, johnholmes said:

Still snowing here, T=0.5 C and I would estimate 2 cm or a touch more.

What was it someone said about surprise snowfalls?

Hi John. I don't think I can count this as a surprise snowfall personally. The output yesterday was driven to produce thermodynamocally conducivde conditions for much of lowland Yorkshire. Kas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
9 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

The models wern't wrong?

Harmonie was virtually spot on 2 days ago.

4 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

@Kasim Awan

This is the data I was going with, you know as well as I do if it played out like Met Office own model it would have been alot closer to the warnings issued. 

You have a favoured short term model which happened to be closer to the mark this time. 

I appreciate this perspective. However, this goes against the median (middleground) snow forecasting methodology which considers the whole high res data suite. This was much further east. 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, York-snow said:

York misses out again. An hour or so of wet snow gone back to light drizzle. Might give it up for this winter!

Looked quite good on the York railcam though u could tell it was marginal but seemed to have lasted good few hours we got sod all here apart from more rain. Like someone said earlier the death of an proper Northerly in winter has done it here . Seems pretty much same close to the East Coast up to North East Scotland down to East Anglia in recent years.

Edited by Eastyorks85

Posted

Juicy covering this. Id be happy just with this but another 4hours of heavy snow is just mind blowing 

20210114_121822.thumb.jpg.d0f5eae5bf2780dbf5a1b43d1a348269.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I appreciate this perspective. However, this goes against the median (middleground) snow forecasting methodology which considers the whole high res data suite.

It is also true that the met office stick to their own high Res model, it is unusual generally speaking if they side with another model, this has at time been reflected in the fax charts.

If you had access to the met office high Res model (which most likely is superior to other models) you would most likely stick to it's output as the Met Office do with good reason. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

But it is also true that the met office stick to their own high Res models, it's unusual generally speaking if they side with another model, this has at time been reflected in the fax charts.

If you had access to the met office high Res model which most likely is superior to other models you would most likely stick to it's output as the Met Office do with good reason. 

I have to fully disagree with this post. Neither you or I have access to the met office high resolution models however it is unlikely that they were significantly different to the Euro4, Wrf and Arpege which all resolved today correctly. So this suggests it's a doubt of the forecast for some variable which was exaggerated by the Met and lead to them ignoring this blatant data.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Hi John. I don't think I can count this as a surprise snowfall personally. The output yesterday was driven to produce thermodynamocally conducivde conditions for much of lowland Yorkshire. Kas.

A lot of big words Kasim but I consider it is a surprise for snow of this depth here from what was available from any model or observed from actual data available to folk on the open web.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Despite the critique I actually consider this a fair win for the Met Office. They were much more bullish on Mon/Tues than most of our available models and in extent have largely been proven correct. 

The only thing they have called incorrectly is the depth below 150m which looks to be exceeding the 5cm mark.

Speaking of, no measurement yet (though looks about 5cm) but here at 60m, LS12 it's the best snowfall since March 18.

Should have a measurement from high ground later.

• Like 1