Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Okay guys i spoke too soon. The front is stalling, expanding and strengthening and the rain to snow ratio is getting better with colder uppers. My snow is now the heaviest its been in 2 hours and doesnt match the radar which shows strengthening in situ. If your already under that big band of moderate snow your going to be under it for a while! Met office woeful! Anyone with enough knowledge could see this wasnt a high ground event. It clearly needed an amber for south yorkshire!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Okay guys i spoke too soon. The front is stalling, expanding and strengthening and the rain to snow ratio is getting better with colder uppers. My snow is now the heaviest its been in 2 hours and doesnt match the radar which shows strengthening in situ. If your already under that big band of moderate snow your going to be under it for a while! Met office woeful! Anyone with enough knowledge could see this wasnt a high ground event. It clearly needed an amber for south yorkshire!

100% amber for South Yorkshire!!

Easy 10cm event this but maybe more and now ice day tomorrow on forecast and more snow on Saturday before a slight thaw then more Monday

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

The front is stalling, expanding in situ and intensifying

Thanks Scott. Told my wife to come home now if she can.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

Snowing where I live in Armthorpe in Doncaster 

9E5B682C-F946-4462-8336-A3B142CCF414.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, York-snow said:

Needs to intensify further east for us with rain atm 

Its a none event for you mate im sorry.

Your too far north for the heavier precipitation.

Without 2mm per hour eveporative cooling cant start and thats been your issue its bad luck. The met mentioned some areas seeing nothing and its for area like yours and hull thats missed the heavy precipitation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes it's looking good, hopefully stalling like you say Scott and then even if it does go south later there's still a lot to the north to come through us first!

About an inch here now and although the flakes are fairly small there are a lot of them. Hoping it gets deeper soon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

Good covering here in lowland Sheffield 

20210114_102826.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Craigers said:

100% amber for South Yorkshire!!

Easy 10cm event this but maybe more and now ice day tomorrow on forecast and more snow on Saturday before a slight thaw then more Monday

Your the second person to talk about monday. Do you have any charts? Admittedly i didnt check the models today. I prefer to enjoy the snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
1 minute ago, boyzie said:

Thanks Scott. Told my wife to come home now if she can.

Think it's a bit late for my daughter! (see earlier post), I suspect she's stuck there, and I'm wondering how feasible collecting her at 4.00 pm is going to be. My wife just got back (so a 3.5 hour round trip that normally takes about 45 mins), had to ditch the car a mile away and walk as central Hudds. pretty much grid-locked.

Posted

1" in Bingley at 80m . Heavy moderate snow probably for a couple more hrs before turning light for rest of day . Cant grumble other than I'm working lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Incredible scenes in lowland Cleckheaton. 3cm and increasing quickly now the slush layer has succumbed20210114_101313.thumb.jpg.acdf2daf99bc01b1ead92fb71e9dbbbe.jpg20210114_101519.thumb.jpg.8f83d063c25a15e82670eef637f5fbc0.jpg20210114_102844.thumb.jpg.3ae739060786bc9e24b1abe4fb81e37c.jpg20210114_102849.thumb.jpg.66a9b0637cfe45d1a7c4412137cad7ac.jpg. Snow intensifying again with bigger flakes than for the last 2 hours! 

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

To prove this point from Leeds to Rotherham and Sheffield

Look at the blues turm to greens.

What an event!!

Screenshot_20210114-102704_Netweather Radar.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-102714_Netweather Radar.jpg

Haha great guess again from me

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Your the second person to talk about monday. Do you have any charts? Admittedly i didnt check the models today. I prefer to enjoy the snow

Metoffice have it in their description haha. Looks like surprises all week if this carries on

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its a none event for you mate im sorry.

Your too far north for the heavier precipitation.

Without 2mm per hour eveporative cooling cant start and thats been your issue its bad luck. The met mentioned some areas seeing nothing and its for area like yours and hull thats missed the heavy precipitation

Presumably for the central spine of Yorkshire precipitation is being enhanced by the easterly wind vector interacting with the high ground. When you look at some of the high res models they show fingers of precipitation clinging to the eastern Pennines and foothills late into the day .

York is just too sheltered in the Vale of York and hardly ever gets heavy precipitation, annual rainfall just 600mm. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bazookabob said:

Incredible scenes in lowland Cleckheaton. 3cm and increasing quickly now the slush layer has succumbed20210114_101313.thumb.jpg.acdf2daf99bc01b1ead92fb71e9dbbbe.jpg20210114_101519.thumb.jpg.8f83d063c25a15e82670eef637f5fbc0.jpg20210114_102844.thumb.jpg.3ae739060786bc9e24b1abe4fb81e37c.jpg20210114_102849.thumb.jpg.66a9b0637cfe45d1a7c4412137cad7ac.jpg. Snow intensifying again with bigger flakes than for the last 2 hours! 

The slowing of the band is forcing ascent its certainly intemsifying now

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yeah you look spot on pal!

You've been spot on saying the potential yesterday!!!

• Like 1