Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
22 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

areas? my geog poor lol

Where it shows home icon thats Barnsley.

Rough guide but this is where we could see something. Air is colder because we had a snow flurry and it was very light.

Screenshot_20210108-131651_Maps.thumb.jpg.2d12dd294ef021961ff089c5bfc99cd4.jpgScreenshot_20210108-131843_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3c515644f54d045fb2aac8f0714f2c75.jpg

Edited by Craigers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Moderate wet snow all day at high level in Scarborough. Outside of a brief period around 7:30-8:00am it hasn't really laid much, and even then it was just a slushy mess. Not much more than sleet and rain at lower level. Given the amount which has fallen around here, I suspect we'd have had some immense totals if the uppers were a couple of degrees cooler!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Stopped drizzling and the mist has lifted. System not moving this way so can the sun come out instead please

Posted

I think the models have gotten the southern trajectory wrong. It most likely looking at the radar won't reach south Yorkshire. 

The models always showed the system stalling and fizzling out over South Yorkshire. The stall has instead happened 50 miles further north just above Harrogate. 

I don't expect any where that doesn't have lying snow to see snow now unfortunately.

The sweet spot has been Harrogate for sure.

Others areas like North Leeds on high ground have also done well.

The scenes in Harrogate...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJyP2PzJSgB/?igshid=1wm42nclpughu

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Interesting could be good for us next week?

Cold air might not leave the UK at surface!!

• Like 1

Posted

Elevation was key today. 

Ripon that has been under the heaviest echoes all day has seen a few cm's, the town is only 40m asl. 

Harrogate at 140m has seen alot more snow even though it wasn't always under the heaviest echoes. 

Posted

Yeah been frustrating watching that front just sit there all morning . Still no southward movement, not that I can see anyway. Had a couple of decent snowfalls though so can't grumble too much.

Posted

Still lightly snowing now. Measured quickly 11cm on the grass and about 9cm on hard surfaces. What an event around here.

Posted
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Hopefully colder air to the north can undercut this precipitation and turn it to all settling snow. Looking at radar it should start to get squeezed south soon, if it doesn't just disintigrate 

Well it seems to be happening, snow turning thicker and temperature plummeted from 0.8c down to 0.4c in last 30 mins.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in the center it stopped about an hour ago. Looks to be building back in though, hopefully stopping allowed the drier air to cool.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Still lightly snowing now. Measured quickly 11cm on the grass and about 9cm on hard surfaces. What an event around here.

Just shows the difference a bit of height makes Tim. I reckon we've got about 3-4cm here. Still great though.

Still some heavy stuff just to the north on the radar I wonder if it will drop South a bit later? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Instability coming off North Sea by humber

Posted

Best snow watching day I can remember for a longtime. Especially day time anyway. Finally starting to settle more down here at 190m. Had a great walk with the dog and a different story just 10m higher.

IMG_20210108_123939.jpg

IMG_20210108_124927.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

175222704_snow2.thumb.jpg.223b38ae290f851ec2071462b8fc083e.jpgSnowing really good here in Ripon, got to admit i was not expecting this 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I'll plonk this here. 

Friday 22 Jan - Friday 5 Feb

Confidence for this period is low, though there is a signal for weaker than average westerly winds with Atlantic systems likely to track further south than normal. Therefore, for the north of the UK it is expected to be drier than normal with temperatures around average to a little below. Further south there is an increased chance of unsettled conditions, with above average precipitation and with temperatures slightly above average. Through this period there is a greater than average chance of cold spells across the UK with the associated risk of wintry hazards. There is potential at times for significant snowfall on the boundary between milder and colder air masses, with greatest risk across central and northern areas

• Like 2