Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
8 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

Yeah it just doesn't seem to be moving south very much at all. I'm on the southern edge and we've done pretty well here. Shame we seem to have no members a bit further north because they look to be getting an absolute pasting. 

spacer.png

Euro4 suggests 25cm plus for west of Harrogate in the sweet spot. That looks good for here too but perfectly maps the gradient across Leeds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
2 minutes ago, adrianh said:

According to the Met Office, I've been under heavy snow for the last 4 hours whereas the radar reveals no precipitation at all and none within 20 miles or so. It's virtually useless in these marginal situations.

Totally agree, the met office has my location as sleet we’ve had snow for the past hour getting slowly heavier. Lol. The system is moving south but extremely slowly I think a lot slower than predicted for the benefit of my location hope more southern parts of our region gets in on the act soon  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
3 minutes ago, Tim A said:

spacer.png

Euro4 suggests 25cm plus for west of Harrogate in the sweet spot. That looks good for here too but perfectly maps the gradient across Leeds 

That looks more like it

Posted

Hopefully colder air to the north can undercut this precipitation and turn it to all settling snow. Looking at radar it should start to get squeezed south soon, if it doesn't just disintigrate 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
25 minutes ago, Danns said:

Honestly would want that band to start moving south anytime soon, temps too high. If it wants to make its move south it can wait until later. Can’t imagine I would get much snow out it at this moment in time 2c dewpoint 0.9.

In regards to forecast, Met, BBC and a handful of models got the track of this completely wrong. It could well move south later today because it obviously has a mind of its own. Pleased for those of us in Yorkshire that are seeing snow though. Might not be South Yorkshire’s day. 

Yeah that's what I meant really, maybe coming South later tonight when it could be snow. Doesn't seem to be though.

Great for North Leeds and the area under the heavy stuff so I'm pleased some have snow at least

• Like 1

Posted

As other members from in and around Sheffield have mentioned, apparently its been snowing heavily since 6am. Must be a new type of invisible snow . Not kidding I’m sure it’s just moved further north west

• Like 3

Posted

Snowing lightly on and off in Dodworth. Think we're right on the very southern extremity edge of that band so hopefully it should start to pick up further. 

Posted

The model snow it very slowly sinking south. Expected to reach Sheffield and fizzle out by 9pm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat
30 minutes ago, York-snow said:

Can confirm still nothing here in York. Been just south of it all morning. All movements is east to west

Very disappointing, we always seem to miss out

Posted

I'm not disappointed its not happened for South Yorkshire with the last two snow coverings we've had! Been soo lucky.

Great to see other parts of Yorkshire getting the snow now! Could be a surprise later if it keeps its intensity and moves south when the cold air pushes in. 

Could actually do us a favour for more settling snow despite it weakening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Tracking the radar the front has actually moved west if anything which thanks to orientation means that the net effect has been north westerly movement by a small amount.

The front is however fatter closer to the coast now so that should bring the likes of York back into it and probably pull vorcity south which is why the models will be suggesting it.

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of snow in the South Pennines near to Sowerby Bridge and Ripponden. The early snow fizzled out then this started about 1hr30 ago. We seem to be in a pretty good spot, It looks like folk to the east along the M62 corridor beyond Leeds will have to wait a bit. Very slow moving!

Posted

North parts of South Yorkshire could see a surprise if this develops.

Screenshot_20210108-125339_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d1906417a03137dd7067a7713f87b8d0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
17 minutes ago, Craigers said:

North parts of South Yorkshire could see a surprise if this develops.

Screenshot_20210108-125339_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d1906417a03137dd7067a7713f87b8d0.jpg

I'm looking at that too.  Looks to building a little just off the coast

• Like 2