Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Latest Met Office Weather Warning for tonight is for ice only and very underwhelming for low ground;

Issued: 10:33 (UTC) on Mon 4 Jan 2021

Icy patches are expected to develop, especially on untreated surfaces, with showers feeding in from east coasts leaving surfaces wet. There is also the chance of some freezing rain, mainly for northeast England, overnight into Tuesday. Further snow is also likely mostly for hills above 200-300 m. Some small accumulations are possible with southeast Scotland and northeast England most at risk. Here 2-5 cm is possible in places above 300 m and 10 cm above 400 m though ice looks likely to be the main hazard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
45 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Latest Met Office Weather Warning for tonight is for ice only and very underwhelming for low ground;

Issued: 10:33 (UTC) on Mon 4 Jan 2021

Icy patches are expected to develop, especially on untreated surfaces, with showers feeding in from east coasts leaving surfaces wet. There is also the chance of some freezing rain, mainly for northeast England, overnight into Tuesday. Further snow is also likely mostly for hills above 200-300 m. Some small accumulations are possible with southeast Scotland and northeast England most at risk. Here 2-5 cm is possible in places above 300 m and 10 cm above 400 m though ice looks likely to be the main hazard.

Tomorrow evening it is then

Posted

Even wednesday these are marginal in places.

This has the potential to be a bust for us but still too early to tell.

We are very marginal both days.

Altitude will help!

Screenshot_20210104-115648_Samsung Internet.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Really poor effort this. All the hype on the nhp, blocking gets closer to the said timescale and damp, cold.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

+1 and 2 dps tomorrow is the culprit.

These are way higher than forecast 2 days ago!

Screenshot_20210104-115352_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes there is no way the Met Office are going to be that wrong at short notice that they will miss a streamer depositing centimetres of snow on low ground.

Definitely looking like we will have to remain patient in our search for a good dump of the white stuff and our wintry nirvana!

Posted
Just now, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Yes there is no way the Met Office are going to be that wrong at short notice that they will miss a streamer depositing centimetres of snow on low ground.

Definitely looking like we will have to remain patient in our search for a good dump of the white stuff and our wintry nirvana!

I agree.

The only saving grace is in south yorkshire areas are showing pockets of 0 and -1 so it is still a scenario where even they could be taken by surprise

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, swfc said:

Really poor effort this. All the hype on the nhp, blocking gets closer to the said timescale and damp, cold.

It is in danger of becoming a damp squib isn't it?

On a personal note I have already seen two good snowfalls (more than the previous two winters put together) and it is only the 4th of January

• Like 2

Posted

The met office warnings are in line with what was showing over the last few days, It was always looking marginal, I'm not sure why so many on here were expecting lying snow. 

I think the issues is people on here look at just the 850's and call it a day, a showery flow with those 850's in March/April would be more conductive for snow due to higher lapse rates but not so much in January.

Ideally you need minimum -10 if not lower. 

I still expect falling snow at most levels but similar to last week where accumulations on low ground are transient. If you get under a streamer that should bring freezing level down sufficiently for something decent. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

The met office warnings are in line with what was showing over the last few days, It was always looking marginal, I'm not sure why so many on here were expecting lying snow. 

I think the issues is people on here look at just the 850's and call it a day, a showery flow with those 850's in March/April would be more conductive for snow due to higher lapse rates but not so much in January.

Ideally you need minimum -10 if not lower. 

I still expect falling snow at most levels but similar to last week where accumulations on low ground are transient. If you get under a streamer that should bring freezing level down sufficiently for something decent. 

I didn't think it was the uppers that were an issue but the dew points?

To be fair though I was never convinced we would see much from this Easterly.  The longevity of it and and the deep cold is just not there at the moment.

Staying positive for later in the week though and then hopefully the main course later this month once (hopefully) the effects of the SSW start kicking in

• Like 1

Posted

But then Paul Hudson Look North has just said rain showers today but these will change to sleet/snow overnight acummulations not just high ground possible and more of the same tomorrow!!

One step in, one step out......................

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Always a red said:

But then Paul Hudson Look North has just said rain showers today but these will change to sleet/snow overnight acummulations not just high ground possible and more of the same tomorrow!!

One step in, one step out......................

You just posted same time lol

• Like 1

Posted

if you right are under the intensity of the streamer between 3 am and 9 am with the -8 isotherm over you then it will be probably be snow ( the dew points do look a bit iffy so if you just miss the main streamer then it could be rain or sleet ) .......in my opinion

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, BlazeStorm said:

Can confirm Carol from the BBC has also suggested snow down to lower levels tonight

They are slow yet again with the warnings

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

If Paul Hudson is saying snow it must be true cos hes a massive mild ramper

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

we shall await warnings? some surprises tomorrow again we have done well the last 2 snowfalls

The more i look at it the more i can see last minute warnings 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

we shall await warnings? some surprises tomorrow again we have done well the last 2 snowfalls

Over night is the best period. Less showers tomorrow and wednesdsy looks dry