Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Was in Hull 50 mins ago and it was 4.5 c and murky with drizzle , no chance of snow ...... let’s hope our Hull friends get something white very soon

• Like 2

Posted

First post of the new season. Been a decent start especially vs last year in Sheffield....150m up in Shirecliffe. 
I can confirm it was recently proper sleet that was falling about 20 mins ago. Heavy thick sleet which is encouraging. 
....Also Scott....thanks for your input, live your informative posts....hope you get well very soo . 

Edited by farmans
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
40 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Hang on, did a load of posts just disappear? Anyway, Mark my words.... South Yorkshire for streamers, them southerners always nicking my snow!  

Think Scott has an issue with the Mods over moderating him .He has decided to not post. Jeez i don't know what happened as I've just flown back in to country and missed the threads since 10 am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Latest country file forecasts shows very little precipitation this week in our area tbh

Posted

TBF they never show anything on the actual graphics despite talking about how our region yesterday and today are right in the firing line for heavy precipitation all week so I wouldn`t worry to much at this stage

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Latest country file forecasts shows very little precipitation this week in our area tbh

Well if anyone is going to forecast no snow for us, I'm glad it's the BBC. They were forecasting rain showers yesterday whilst snow was falling throughout the region! Hopefully someone on here can have a look at the high resolution precipitation models and let us know how they're looking! 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Well if anyone is going to forecast no snow for us, I'm glad it's the BBC. They were forecasting rain showers yesterday whilst snow was falling throughout the region! Hopefully someone on here can have a look at the high resolution precipitation models and let us know how they're looking! 

Arpege

animlsc4_mini.png

Gfs

anim_xjb6.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

Shower incoming. Temp 2.2c with a dew of 0.5c, be interesting to see if there's any wintry element the shower.

Meanwhile today a 21km hike with the wife in a very desolate Yorkshire Dales, sunshine and snow showers was the theme.

Photos taken between 400-500m asl.

spacer.pngspacer.pngEq0uhoFXUAw6roe?format=jpg&name=largeEq0uhpGXEAI6L46?format=jpg&name=large

Fantastic pictures

• Like 1

Posted

Somewhere is going to get lucky with a streamer .........

• Like 1

Posted

The localised forecasts show it'll still be a marginal affair. 

I think most places will see falling snow but it'll be similar to the last few days.

1427518017_Screenshot_20210103-1928592.thumb.png.df1f17d85497d25c03cee1973776e729.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

I think most places will see falling snow but it'll be similar to the last few days.

1427518017_Screenshot_20210103-1928592.thumb.png.df1f17d85497d25c03cee1973776e729.png

I'd take no notice of those automated temperature forecasts. Over the years I've found them badly innacurate.

Once heavy showers pile in tuesday they should be all snowespecialy at lba. If showers can get organised I wouldn't be suprised if some places tonight got a dusting/ light covering.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

They change like the wind direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Shower incoming. Temp 2.2c with a dew of 0.5c, be interesting to see if there's any wintry element the shower.

Rain, temp shot up to 2.5c when shower arrived and it was light in nature. Still no snow cover here yet this winter apart from a mere dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I'd take no notice of those automated temperature forecasts. Over the years I've found them badly innacurate.

Once heavy showers pile in tuesday they should be all snowespecialy at lba. If showers can get organised I wouldn't be suprised if some places tonight got a dusting/ light covering.

They’re fairly useless. When we had snow on the 29th, the Met automated forecasts were still showing sleet and snow. I’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve had 2-5cm of ‘surprise’ snow after the Met Office showed rain/sleet.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

They’re fairly useless. When we had snow on the 29th the Met automated forecasts were still showing sleet end snow. I’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve had 2-5cm of snow after the Met Office show rain.

Aye I find the automated met office forecasts bloody useless. Radar and local knowledge it usually comes down to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Heavier shower incoming this time. Temp 2.3c Dew 1.0c might manage sleet

saee.thumb.PNG.de5da3655e4aff3f786d5dfd7356fcef.PNG

1.7c and 0.7c... excited for my sleet!

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

My automated forecast showed rain cymbals for yesterdays snow until snow fell out of the sky and then they quickly changed! Haha! 

-9 uppers. Better heights forecas than what was originally forecast and a decent wind to blow these inland i think it will be all snow tuesday. On monday i think we may struggle however thats more of a nowcast

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

It would be pretty cool if the various radar runs could actually show snow on the graphics ie colour change or something like. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Heavier shower incoming this time. Temp 2.3c Dew 1.0c might manage sleet

saee.thumb.PNG.de5da3655e4aff3f786d5dfd7356fcef.PNG

Heavy graupel shower leaving a little bit of white on ground.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, swfc said:

It would be pretty cool if the various radar runs could actually show snow on the graphics ie colour change or something like. 

Here you go swfc...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

also NW radar has it,you just need to toggle weather type on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I know alot of people look poorly on the automated forecasts as did I at one point but they are actually no different than looking at any high resolution model. 

It's the same as putting in your location into a higher res mode like the NMM or EURO4 and it just showing localised data. 

They're actually a very useful tool.

Posted

I've just read the NW thread and Kassim who seems to be an expert put this..  

'Whilst largely a 200m+ shower event otherwise, The streamer Tuesday AM is embedded in -7.5 uppers & so produces a base snow line of 175m, therefore a temporary covering down to 100m in East Manchester, etc is possible. Further west depends on streamer strength & timing. Above 200m in the Peaks this may be a fairly significant macro event."

• Like 1